• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hackles

The Lorne Scots were orgininally affiliated with the lancashire fusiliers in England who wore the primerose plume (their county colour) as a battle honour for earning 5 x victoria crosses in south africa.

In 1967 the lancashires were almagamated into the royal regiment of fusiliers and had to retire their plume. In keeping tradition alive, the lorne Scots were allowed to carry on their honour.

ArmyRick said:
The Lorne Scots were orgininally affiliated with the lancashire fusiliers in England who wore the primerose plume (their county colour) as a battle honour for earning 5 x victoria crosses in south africa.

In 1967 the lancashires were almagamated into the royal regiment of fusiliers and had to retire their plume. In keeping tradition alive, the lorne Scots were allowed to carry on their honour.

After searching around for a while, I couldn't find any 'Official' reference to when or how the Lancashire Fusiliers got their primrose hackle, all I could find is this:
http://www.fusiliersmuseum-lancashire.org.uk/history_timeline.html#4

And this unofficial site which offers absolutly no history of the regiment (kinda dissapointing)
http://www.lancs-fusiliers.co.uk/

But I have found several references of the Lorns recieving the primrose from the Lancashire fusiliers, so in that case, I stand corrected. (yet another myth of hackles disproven)
The story of the Lorns wearing 'yellow' for a battle dishonour is still just a myth.

Either way, the Hackles (all hackles) origional use was to indicate units on the battlefield. Distinguishing hackles start appearing after distinguishing service.  The majority (not all) Fusilier Regiments wore white hackles at one point and through distiction in battle they earned the right / honour to wear another colour that indicate valour in combat or service to the Crown, etc.
Example: http://www.army.mod.uk/fusiliers/battalions/1st_battalion/traditions.htm

That link also (briefly) touches on how Hackles were taken from fallen french soldiers and adopted by the British regiments they fell to... This is a common history of all Fusilier regiments. (Even the name 'Fusilier' has its roots in French)

It's interesting looking into the history of the various regiments and how they adopted their distinctive markings.  Its too bad that some of the history is being lost / distorted.

I must say there has been some amusing little threads on this subject. As a matter of interest the 4th Bn RCR for the longest also wore a white hackle. Thats right a Bn of the RCR.  In addition I read one of the threads that stated the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers wore a orange hackle. This is incorrect they like the Royal Irish Fusiliers wore St Patricks Blue as does the 2nd Bn Irish Regiment of Canada. I can assure you that the previous two Irish Regiments at no time showed their backs to the enemy. Both having stellar history in war and peace. Indeed the 2nd Bn Irish Regt of Canada has an outstanding history in Italy WWII.

captainj said:
I must say there has been some amusing little threads on this subject. As a matter of interest the 4th Bn RCR for the longest also wore a white hackle. Thats right a Bn of the RCR.  In addition I read one of the threads that stated the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers wore a orange hackle. This is incorrect they like the Royal Irish Fusiliers wore St Patricks Blue as does the 2nd Bn Irish Regiment of Canada. I can assure you that the previous two Irish Regiments at no time showed their backs to the enemy. Both having stellar history in war and peace. Indeed the 2nd Bn Irish Regt of Canada has an outstanding history in Italy WWII.

That would actually be the 1st Bn. There is a thread in here somewhere about the somewhat messy story about why there is an extant 2nd Bn but the 1st Bn is on the supplementary order of battle.

We can blame Hellyer for the demise of the 1st Bn.  Seems they failed him on his officer board. 

captainj said:

The White "Hackle" of the 4th Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment was to perpetuate the unit's lineage to the "Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)"; and of course all white was used to match the sister regiment, The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). As noted earlier in this thread, the Canadian Fusiliers amalgamated the Oxford Rifles, the 2nd MG Bn (thanks to SB for correcting the number) and the Perth Regiment before being "invited" to amalgamate with the Royal Canadian Regiment.

Although this link to history is sadly gone, should anyone ever revive the principle of historical and traditional accoutrement's, remember Fusiliers wear a plume, not a hackle or a bob!

a_majoor said:
The White "Hackle" of the 4th Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment was to perpetuate the unit's lineage to the "Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)"

Part of that history also involves the 4th Battalion formally being part of the Perth Regiment, which was at one point part of the HLI of C who wore white hackles, which isn't directly the reason for the hackles, but is a contributing factor.

a_majoor said:
Although this link to history is sadly gone, should anyone ever revive the principle of historical and traditional accoutrement's, remember Fusiliers wear a plume, not a hackle or a bob!

Not all Fusilier regiments wore Plumes, but then again, some regiments who are now fusiliers predate the Plume Tradition (eg. 71st & 74th of foot, who wore hackles or bobs with Shakos and Feather bonnets).  By tradition (after 1812ish) most, if not all Fusilier regiments wore hackles, as the Shako was out of style, eliminating the bob and horse hair plume, and most Fusilier regiments adopted sillier chapeau's such as the feather bonnet and busby.  Once the bonnet-kilmarnock's, Tam O'Shanters, Glengarry's, Balmorals, and Cabine's came along there was no end to multi-coloured adornments worn behind the brass (and in some cases, instead of a brass: Black watch and RHF in battle dress)

Just more ways to distinguish the regiments.

Just to clarify things RHFC Piper, the lineage of the Canadian Fusiliers was always iseparate from the Perth Regiment, indeed the "Fighting Perth's" were going to be forcibly amalgamated with the then "3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment (London and Oxford Fusiliers)", but their regimental senate preferred Seppuku and the Perth Regiment was formally struck from the order of battle instead.

The Oxford Rifles were reduced to zero strength on the supplementary order of battle when merged with the Canadian Fusiliers to create the 3rd Batalion, The RCR; which later became the 4th Battalion.

For the latest in Regimental fashions, I usually consult Steel Badger, although I understand black pyjamas may be making a comeback this season.  ;)

The bar steward of my old unit (one of) fought with the Perth in Italy during WW2.  Though he had enrolled in the prewar militia with the CGG, he embodied the Perth..... cranky, cantanquerous gent.  Would scare the pants off of the new junior segeants - though later, they all thought the world of him -  was made an "honorary" Sgt (though I thought of him as an "ornery".  God bless ya Harold!

Scottish Regiments
The Black Watch - Story of the "Red Heckle"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since 1795 the soldiers of the 42nd have worn a red feather or "heckle" in their bonnets, being in this respect distinguished from all the other Highland regiments. The following is the story of the "glorious old red heckle", as told by Lieutenant-Colonel Wheatley, who, we believe, had his information directly from those who took part in the exploit on account of which the Black Watch is entitled to wear the plume.

In December 1794, when the Forty-Second were quartered at Thuyl, as above mentioned, they received orders for the night of the 31st to mark upon Bommell, distant some miles on the opposite side of the river Waal, which they reached by four o'clock on the morning of 1st January 1795. Here they were joined by a number of other regiments, and lay on their arms until daybreak, when they attacked the French army, and drove them across the river on the ice. The British held their position on the banks of the river until the evening of the 3d, when (the French having been reinforced) a partial retreat took place early on the morning of the 4th. The British retired upon the village of Guildermalson, where the 42d, with a number of other regiments, halted, and formed up to cover the retreat through the village. The French cavalry, however, cut through the retreating picquets, and made their way up to the regiments stationed at the village, where they were met and repulsed, and a number of them taken prisoners. Two field-pieces were placed in front of the village to protect the retreat of the picquets; but instead of resisting the charge of cavalry, they (the picquets) retreated to the rear of the village, leaving their guns in possession of the French, who commenced dragging them off. An A.D.C. (Major Rose) ordered Major Dalrymple, commanding the 42d, to charge with his regiment, and retake the guns; which was immediately done, with the loss of 1 man killed and 3 wounded. The guns were this rescued and dragged in by the 42d, the horses having been disabled and the harness cut.

There was little or no notice taken of this affair at the time, as all was bustle; but after their arrival in England, it was rumored that the 42d were to get some distinctive badge for their conduct in retaking the guns on the 4th of January; but the nature of the honor was kept a profound secret. On the 4th of June 1795, as the regiment, then quartered at Royston, Cambridgeshire, was out on parade to fire three rounds in honor of his Majesty's birthday, the men were surprised and delighted when a large box was brought on to the field, and a red feather distributed to each soldier. This distinctive ornament has ever since adorned the otherwise funereal headdress of the old Black Watch.

In 1822, from a mistaken direction in a book of dress for the guidance of the army, some of the other Highland regiments concluded that they also had a right to wear "a red vulture feather". The 42d, however, remonstrated, and their representations at headquarters called forth the following memorandum:-

"For Officers commanding Highland Regiments.

"Horse Guards, 20th Aug, 1822.
"The red vulture feather prescribed by the recent regulations for Highland regiments is intended to be used exclusively by the Forty-Second Regiment: other Highland corps will be allowed to continue to wear the same description of feather that may have been hitherto in use.

"H. Torrens, Adjutant-General".

Vulture's feather?
I always thought they were chicken feathers?......... (seriusly)

the Prince of Wales badge
from Wikipedia.com
The badge is thought to have originated with Edward, the Black Prince, Ruler of Wales. According to legend, the Black Prince obtained the arms from John of Bohemia, against whom he fought in the Battle of Crécy in 1346. After the battle, the prince went to the body of the dead king (whom he admired for his bravery) and took his helmet, lined with ostrich feathers. The feathers and the dead king's motto made up the prince's new badge and came to be used by subsequent Princes of Wales.

so that badge is a mark of great bravery just so you know I alway thought it was a cool story

The internet provides all sorts of truthful explanations as to the origin of the hackles and which ones are battle honours.  My two years with the Lorne Scots (C Coy Georgetown Ontario) in the 70s provided me with the units' history, and yes, the yellow hackle was a battle honour.  Mine was rolled up in a paper tube for storage when I joined the Regs.  30 years later, the hackle and 3.5 inch silver cap badge are together once again, within my retirement shadow box.

The white feather, a symbol of cowardice, is part of a movie called THE FOUR FEATHERS.  The 2002 version starred Heath Ledger.

Back