• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Halifax Accommodations and Things To Do Thread [merged]

Anyone who likes to travel the HRM has to hit Musquodoboit Harbour for Harbour Fish and Fries (The red building kitty cornered to the rail museum) it's the best fish in the city, IMO.

I'll add to the list that while in the Mahone Bay area, try to take a side trip up to Chester and Lunenburgh.  Lunenburgh is where the Blue Nose I and II had their keels laid in the shipyards there.  The towns are very pretty and typical of the Maritime colour and flair for home design. 

One place that is always overlooked by tourists is the beaches down near East and West Pennett, Sambro (Crystal Beach) and Herringcove.  On the way up to Herring Cove, there is the York Redoubt and Chebucto Head Lighthouse.  The panoramas from both places of Halifax and the Eastern Shore and Northeast Arm are spectacular.  When you stand on the cliff of the Chebucto Head lighthouse, Point Pleasant park is very visible and you can see the Navy Memorial (so is Mcnabb Island).  Fleming Park near Jollimore (on the Spryfield side) is lovely as well. 

Dotted all along the coasts are little churches with spectacular architecture and stained glass windows.  Going out to Bedford is of course, the famous Bedford Basin where WWII convoys were mounted and today, the navy uses it to rev up the engines before getting underway and the underground house on the water side of the highway as well. 

Have a safe trip. And try any one of the pubs in the Historic Properties as mentioned. I always like the Lower Deck myself - and if Signal Hill is playing, it'll be a good time by all. 

Reviving this thread because I'm headed out East for a week. 

Is there anything in particular going on in Halifax next week that's worth checking out? I've never been to Halifax and I hope to make the most of of my time after work.

Darrell's Peanut Butter Burger, don't scoff until you've scarfed it.

Celtic Corner in Dartmouth, Old Traingle in Halifax.

In the next week? Not sure of Buskers are still on but the waterfront almost always has something going on.

Weekend brunch at My Father's Mustache. Get in when the doors open, get a table by the windows overlooking the street. Pick up the papers on your way there to browse over brunch. Enjoy the food and the view, especially when the weather is nice and the girls are our walking and running on Spring Garden.  Order the steak and Eggs Benedict, it's not actually on the menu like that but if you ask nice and offer to make up any price differences, they'll usually do it.  It did help that I was a "regular" for a few years with this routine.  ;D

Good Afternoon everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right board, but as I am talking about a type of training I'll give it a go. Please feel free to move it mods, not that I doubt you would anyway heh.

I'm looking to start participating in a martial arts class in the Halifax area. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good classes being run in the area? I've been browsing through the Spirit Martial arts website, and while it gives a good list of classes/schools available it does not however give any references regarding the instructors.

While I intend to put quite a bit more research into this, I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations in regards to good schools/instructors in the HRM.

As to what style, I'm really quite open beyond the fact that whatever I decide on must end being practical rather then ornamental.

Thanks again,

NSDreamer

Try checking PSP website. I believe BJJ is offer in Shearwater.

Regards,
TN2IC

PSP... military gym. I just read your profile. That's my old unit before they changed their name.

Here is the site. http://www.psphalifax.ns.ca Good luck at the old "Dirty Thirty"

Regards,
TN2IC

Haha, Domo domo. Thank you. I'll look into it and as it stands I'm having a blast with them. There may be issues here and there, but overall they're a good bunch!

I don't know this school, but I took some Wing Chun classes in Australia and I really enjoyed it. After BMOQ next summer I am going to start them up again in Toronto. It is a unique form of Kung Fu that can be picked up fairly quickly. Most schools let you come in for a free trial lesson anyways, so you could probably give a few of them a shot before you make your decision.

http://www.halifaxwingchun.ca/

I did two and half years in Halifax with the Navy and went to this club...

http://www.bushidokai.ca/content/home.php

The guy who runs it has all sorts of different classes ranging from kickboxing to grappling to more traditional stuff such as Japanese jujutsu and weapon arts so, if you're someone who loves to train, you learn lots!

Hope this helps.

Seeing this is a naval base, what is the golf course like at Hartlien Point. What is it like during the week as a guest (retired)?  8)

Nice course, usually in pretty good shape.  Front nine are a bit of trouble if you can't drive straight, but the back nine are nice and open.  Early tee-offs can be wet and/or foggy, but afternoons are nice.  Getting tee times as a guest isn't normally a problem, they have section/branch golf tournaments and the like only on Mondays thru Thursdays and they try to keep them early.

That's what you get when you try to rip the cover off the ball and get it past that pond.  ;D

Back