• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

From

I did that knowingly and intentionally because within that sentence is the dichotomy between peacetime and wartime.

And I agree. It isn't easy.

I assumed you were talking about Canada. I can’t speak for Israel or Ukraine or any other country at war and operating under an emergency rules set.

I assumed you were talking about Canada. I can’t speak for Israel or Ukraine or any other country at war and operating under an emergency rules set.
Any country should have ‘other’ rules for dealing with terrorists, and their supporters.

Even if those rules have oversight and strict usage requirements, there still needs to be a way to legally remove threats without the requirements of a the standard Criminal Procedure.

That don’t require a National Emergency Act to invoke or allow blanket responses on unrelated issues.

Reactions: QV
Any country should have ‘other’ rules for dealing with terrorists, and their supporters.

Even if those rules have oversight and strict usage requirements, there still needs to be a way to legally remove threats without the requirements of a the standard Criminal Procedure.
What about a multigenerational family?

Dad gets deported.

Son #1 has dual citizenship.

Son #2 has only Canadian citizenship.

All three appear to have sympathies for terrorists. Eviction of one further radicalizes the others.

What about a multigenerational family?

Dad gets deported.

Son #1 has dual citizenship.

Son #2 has only Canadian citizenship.

All three appear to have sympathies for terrorists. Eviction of one further radicalizes the others.
What family ;)

Service equals Citizenship. For people to become citizens they must swear to bear true allegiance to the country, its government, laws and customs.

If they are supporting terrorism, they have no grounds to remain.

Last edited:

I am talking about Canada. We already know that on occasion our government feels it appropriate to adopt extraordinary measures. The only question is when should those measures be taken.

In today's world of the economic morphing into the diplomatic then into the criminal then into little green men then into open conflict with nobody ever having the decency to actually declare war how many breaths should there be between peacetime and wartime?

I would be open to the argument that we have been at war for a very long time now.

Keep going back

The Greeks and the Persians were both newcomers.

You want to try Nebuchadnezzar's Babylonians ca 600 BC?
Philistines 1100 BC
Moses 1300 BC
Abraham and the Canaanites 1700 BC
Then you are into the era of Hammurabi.
Or Sargon of Akkad 2400 BC

This patch of dirt is the home of the original Forever War.

Kind of like chunks of Canada where in the spirit of reconciliation we offer thanks to five different nations....

Cheers, :)

The reason I love history is that it demonstrates the unchanging nature of man everywhere.

From Tasha Kheiriddin in the National Post.

Human history is a miserable river of blood, and all our ancestors bathed in it. We will never erase the sins of the past. All we can do now is move forward and decide what we will and will not tolerate today and in the future.

Yeah, though I think we all know the Israelis made the objectively smarter call on that one.

Yeah, though I think we all know the Israelis made the objectively smarter call on that one.
I’m not sure history will view it that way.

But I’m equally accepting of wiping him out at home upon landing back in Tehran.

But I’m equally accepting of wiping him out at home upon landing back in Tehran.
Israel seems to be seriously contemplating a ground invasion of Gaza. They may not wish to add any more additional war than is utterly necessary to their plate right now. Firmly warning Iran off the way they did might keep that to a simmer instead of a full boil.

Israel retaliating with its customary keen sense of discrimination and proportionality…
Because nothing else works. They gave back Gaza, evicted their own people, left working infrastructure. Provide gas and electricity, plus provide medical treatment to palestinians. None of that matters, until they are dead, groups like Hamas will hate them for existing and fighting back.
You and I live on unceded territory, if the FN's told you to give up your house would you? If they attacked you, would you turn the other cheek? No Canadians really have the justification to say the Israelis are wrong. Sure they can be assholes, but being a saint in that neighbourhood will get you a early meeting with your deity.

Israel seems to be seriously contemplating a ground invasion of Gaza. They may not wish to add any more additional war than is utterly necessary to their plate right now. Firmly warning Iran off the way they did might keep that to a simmer instead of a full boil.
My guess is they are going to be utterly deliberate. Frankly they should move into the 2km above the Egyptian border and raze everything and pump seawater into the ground to flood the tunnels. That would isolate Hamas entirely and then just do slow deliberate incursions to destroy key areas or people or rescue people. Israel has turned off the gas, water and electricity, so Hamas will run out of fuel shortly.

Reactions: QV

I'll vote for that option, the only question is "how"? Hellfire?

If you all recall the country of Iran murdered a number of Canadians not long ago. A little payback would be nice.

BUT I have visceral dislike of nation states that sponsor terrorists like Hamas - and for good reason in my mind. Yes I have a bias....

Back