• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
Ok, what does “final defeat” look like in this context? Is it your contention that if every single person who currently identifies with Hamas is killed, that the Israel / Gaza conflict will be settled down with any degree of permanence?

I struggle to imagine how Gaza and the Palestinian people could be meaningfully defeated the way the German and Japanese nation states were in 1945. I think the enmities are dug in far more deeply than that.

How long would Israel need to completely occupy Gaza, what sort of regime would they need to impose, and how long would that need to last to achieve peace? Could Israel eventually lift its foot back off the break or would this need to be in perpetuity?
Part of the problem is that Gaza isn't a viable entity on its own economically and can't be physically joined to the West Bank without bisecting Israel which for Israel I'm sure is a No-Go. You could possibly have a corridor joining the two but Israel would be able to sever it at will which would be seen as a sword hanging over the Palestinians.

Personally I think the only long-term political solution would be a two-state solution with the West Bank the basis for the State of Palestine and Gaza being re-incorporated into Egypt therefore externalizing the Hamas problem to a Muslim country. However you're never likely to get the Palestinians to agree to the severing of their territory and equally the radical Jewish settlers in the West Bank will never agree to give up the lands they've claimed to the Palestinians.

Sadly, like many times in history a peaceful solution will only be possible after a great deal more blood has been shed by both sides and war is no longer considered an option or if one side decisively defeats the other. Unfortunately Israel is a relatively small nation surrounded by many potential enemies but they also have nuclear weapons. I have a hard time seeing a positive long-term outcome for this issue.

In the UK

DAC Taylor also outlined the Met’s position on the waving of flags ahead of Saturday’s protest and said it was a “hugely emotive issue”.
He said: “If you are waving a flag and there are some specific flags which were given guidance to officers that are proscribed flags in support of Hamas or other proscribed organisations, you are committing an offence and you will be arrested. Full stop.
“There is no debate on that. If you are expressing support for a proscribed organisation you will be arrested.”

A 22-year-old woman has been arrested by counter terror police on suspicion of supporting Hamas at a protest held in Brighton.

Counter-Terrorism Policing South East (CTPSE) said the woman was arrested on Thursday under Section 12 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

It comes after an investigation was launched focusing on a speech made by a woman at the protest in Brighton on Sunday.

Supt Petra Lazar from Sussex Police said: “After reviewing footage from the protest event held in Brighton on Sunday October 8, the matter was investigated by Counter Terrorism Policing South East. We will continue to support them as they conduct their investigation.

Completely surrender or total destruction of what, specifically? Hamas? Palestinian nationalism? Militant Islam? The Palestinian people in Gaza as a whole?

In Japan and Germany, they were dependent largely on a conventional military and industrial base, and had a political structure that could be defeated and replaced by something else that would be able to meaningfully control the people. Is this the case in Gaza as well? I don’t know that the factors underlying Gaza’s militancy are analogous to what underlied military efforts by Japan or Germany.

Well every other lasting change has required ongoing intervention. It takes a while to build an empire.

empire (n.)​

mid-14c., "territory subject to an emperor's rule;" in general "realm, dominion;" late 14c. as "authority of an emperor, supreme power in governing; imperial power," in Middle English generally of the Roman Empire.

From Old French empire "rule, authority, kingdom, imperial rule" (11c.), from Latin imperium "a rule, a command; authority, control, power; supreme power, sole dominion; military authority; a dominion, realm," from imperare "to command," from assimilated form of in- "in" (from PIE root *en "in") + parare "to order, prepare" (from PIE root *pere- (1) "to produce, procure").

Not etymologically restricted to "territory ruled by an emperor," but used that way.

Ultimately it comes down to the question of whose laws, whose courts and whose police.

"York University Student Unions praise Hamas terrorists’ actions as “necessary” and condemn “so-called Canada” and “so-called” Israel as fundamentally illegitimate “settler-colonial states”."

That kind of expression inclines me to the mode in which, regrettably, I can only respond with "Fill your hand, you son of a bitch".

The problem with their concept is that they consider the current Palestinian population as indigenous to that area. And the only ones that can claim that. Genetically though Jews and Palestinians can both claim indigenous ancestors to the land in one way or another. Those that can trace their origins can likely trace it back to one another, from Jews who converted to Christianity then to Islam after the Arab take over etc.

A good explanation from someone I read is that at some point these peoples who can trace to the same genetics decided to go different ways either by force or by choice.

It added that both groups can claim to be natives of that land as both are people descended from the same group of people. At one point some were exiled and some were assimilated (Jews to Christian’s and Christians to Muslims) The exiled ones (Jews) kept the identity but not the land. The non-exiled ones kept the land but not the identity.

At the end of the day, these are student unions. Full of student activists. That have no idea what they are talking about.

I wish somehow the Antarctic was a livable option - and it was opened up to all these type of people, all people from around the world who didn't want to be a part of the 21st century. We simply drop them off there and they can do whatever the heck they want, with 1 rule, once you go you can't come back.

The problem with their concept is that they consider the current Palestinian population as indigenous to that area. And the only ones that can claim that. Genetically though Jews and Palestinians can both claim indigenous ancestors to the land in one way or another. Those that can trace their origins can likely trace it back to one another, from Jews who converted to Christianity then to Islam after the Arab take over etc.

A good explanation from someone I read is that at some point these peoples who can trace to the same genetics decided to go different ways either by force or by choice.

It added that both groups can claim to be natives of that land as both are people descended from the same group of people. At one point some were exiled and some were assimilated (Jews to Christian’s and Christians to Muslims) The exiled ones (Jews) kept the identity but not the land. The non-exiled ones kept the land but not the identity.

At the end of the day, these are student unions. Full of student activists. That have no idea what they are talking about.
But sadly alot of them become 'Union leaders' for such places as CUPE as we have been recently shown.

Generally people who preach decolonization only read history to where it supports their bias. Anything past that is poppycock to them.

Palestinians will die, yes.

Just as Germans died when we took the war to their homeland in the 40s. Nobody regrets that we fought back against Nazism, though.

It's all unfortunate and should be minimized where possible, but when you play with fire, you get burned.

Just as French, Belgians, Dutch, Danes and Norwegians died at allied hands during the liberation of their countries.

I wish somehow the Antarctic was a livable option - and it was opened up to all these type of people, all people from around the world who didn't want to be a part of the 21st century. We simply drop them off there and they can do whatever the heck they want, with 1 rule, once you go you can't come back.
The problem is the attachment to the land and the historic places they consider holy.

I am all for allowing empty vessels to make noise. My problems start with those "activists" and their desire to act and foment. Sedition and incitement are problems.

We have laws but their application feels uneven.

Student unions drive ideology on college campus, which finds its way into government and the media.

That's how post-modernism became state policy. It started in the American universities that had imported those ideas from France.

Back