• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

hand guns

• Thread starter rookie in training
  • Start date
Listen up to mudgunner, he most definitely knows what he's talking about. Welcome to the board bro!

CF_Lifer said:
Ghost, IPSC -International Pistols Shooting Competition. With Duty (Service) and Open Classes. Duty has to be a stock Pistol, with no Modifications. Open is kinda of self-explanatory....you can have whatever you want, ported barrels, scopes, rails, all the Bells and Whistles.

Yeah, Desert Eagles, now there's Firepower..... I think a .50 rounds is a little excessive.

That's Iternational PRACTICALShooting Confederation.  There are categories for handgun, shotgun and rifle...

Blake

Reading the posts is very interesting....I do like the Browning High Power a formidable weapon,well balanced and nice to shoot...however I must say I recently fired a Sig 226 and found that an awsome weapon.

Marine837M

I cut my teeth learning to shoot a single action Browning. But now I must confess I'm a die-hard Glock fan!

Slim

Back in my youth, I owned and fired quite a few handguns, and entered into several IPSC events, although I tried to commit myself mostly to the three gun events.  Some of those American pistoleros were very, very good.

My own weapon was a customised Browning HP, complete with two barrels (from the factory), Pachmyer grips, three dot sights, ambidextrous safety, and some more stuff.  I never once had a stoppage, which is a good thing, shooting minor caliber was difficult enough.

I liked the Sig 226, although it didn't have the "feel" (balance)I liked, but that can be gotten used to quite easily.  The Glock, I would sooner leave alone, thanks.  Maybe it was just the early ones (I did my shooting in the 70's and 80's), but lots of stoppages and breaks started occuring with the Glock owners after about 10,000 rounds down range.

If I was to carry concealed today, I would still consider the BHP, but would most likely take the Para Ordinance 9mm.

What was the POS Sig?  The 225?  Memory failing again.............

Ghost778 said:
VK WAS really strict with handguns, especially the NSE. They tried telling out guys from the battle group who were going on gate that we wern't allowed to use pistols. Why? The gate commander or SF commander (whoever)   didn't have one so he didn't want us having them.

The NSE totally did not trust their soldiers with weapons.   In my platoon we regularly swapped pistols when someone went on leave, when someone was going on a road trip, when we were switching up search teams/security teams when we were on OPs.   If someone is going to stay in camp the whole tour and work in an office, give them a friggin C7 rifle and let the guys who need them use the pistols.

Give me my rifle any day I preferred to have it with me over a hand gun. The only time in on tour I carried a Pistole and it was not by choice was when In Kiseljak when If we wanted to go to town we had to carry it in place of rifle as to make a friendlier jester to the locals and seam less thrthreateninget me say I didn't go to town much as felt naked with out my rifle. but there was a great pizza place across the road form camp that went to a lot.    If there is a situation that requires me to use a hand gun when I have a rifle then i must say things are bad.

I got my restricted firearms license about 7 months ago, originally for employment purposes but then i didn't follow through with  it because was waiting for military to call me.

I have been thinking about buying a pistol for some time for sport shooting,  i got two questions: whats a good pistol to start off with buying and is their any gun clubs up in Petawawa that i could go to, to do some shooting.

thanks

You should start off with a .22 and get your technique (sight picture and trigger control mainly) down and then move up to larger calibers.

Blake,  A certain unit found that the 9mm ball (SMG pressure stuff) was kicking the crap out of aluminum frame SIG's.
  The BHP's are steel and thus (in theory) more resistant the battering but the more than +P+ ammo.

The new Steel framed SIGs (and conviently with Light rail) will solve this issue.

Blackhawk, what employment purposes would those be??

I can not think of many reasons for having a restricted firearm at work, unless you work at a gun shop, as a police officer, and a few others.

I am just curious as to why an employer would require you to have a restricted PAL.

KevinB said:
Blake,   A certain unit found that the 9mm ball (SMG pressure stuff) was kicking the crap out of aluminum frame SIG's.
  The BHP's are steel and thus (in theory) more resistant the battering but the more than +P+ ammo.

The new Steel framed SIGs (and conviently with Light rail) will solve this issue.

Kevin.

I had not heard that - of course I'm not putting 20 000 rounds of high pressure stuff thru my Sig.  Got the pictures... outstanding!!!

Stay safe,

Blake

"I'm not sure where you are getting your information regarding the rate of wear on the Sig line of pistols, however I can state categorically that you are WRONG!!  What reasoning do you use when coming to the conclusion that the current CF 9mm is to hot for a weapon produced using modern techniques and modern materials, but won't wear out a 60 year old pistol in short order??? "

I guess I wasn't WRONG!! eh? No big deal just make sure of your facts before you post. :) On BTW the Sigs were cracking at the locking block along with a few slide failures due to the ammo being too hot.The 9mm ball is not loaded to SAMMI specs but is hotter.Just put a few through a chrono and see for yourself.

I remember, a while back it was stated that lab rats got cancer from drinking milk, they drank an equivalent of more than 4 litres per day for more than 10 years..........

As a proud SIG P-226 owner I can say that I have stuffed just about anything I can get my hands on down the throat of that puppy and it didn't choke once.

Did I fire 10K+ rnds of +P SMG ammo through it...... NO.... who would???

Is it a great pistol....yes, is it the best in the world.................................... would I trust my life to it... you bet ya.

Should DND adopt the SIG P-226.... of course they should.... spare parts will abound  ;D

As long as the CF have over 15,000 Brownings in stock, and a wastage rate of less than 500/year, there is no hope that Treasury Board will approve money to purchase ANY replacement pistol.
Nice to dream though.

Well they should issue out some of those stocks cause the 8T on my hip as I type this is a litte beat up...
Not to mention we dont have enought here at this time.

But as an operational user of the pistol I have no complaints or desire to switch (well given an unlimited budget I would go with the Sig P226)

Arctic Acorn said:
We had a Dutch driver on our staff who had a double negligant discharge when clearing into Tuzla. How the heck do you do that?

'Rock out with your Glock out!'     :threat:

And hang out with Wang's Ak-47 out. (Wang is a guy I know in the Chinese Army).

Back