• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harrasment in public..Hydro One fires "jerk" for reporter prank

Actually, the guy who was fired from Ontario Hydro came and 'inserted' himself into the interview the reporter was having with the original 'offender'. 

George Wallace said:
Actually, the guy who was fired from Ontario Hydro came and 'inserted' himself into the interview the reporter was having with the original 'offender'.

Saying you find something funny is not harassment George, linking the two together is a pretty weak argument.  Also, your argument that he "inserted" himself into a conversation when she approached the group is a pretty weak argument to make.  Again, this is why we aren't lawyers.

The police decided not to charge anyone.  Can we put this to rest and just say it's not harassment because if it was they would have charged someone.

EDIT:

Sometimes you're on the right side of the law but the wrong side of public opinion, that's why lawyers and police are so unpopular nowadays. 

Millhaven test likely to be ‘influential’ moving forward
An Ontario arbitrator’s recent move to expand the reach of employee off-duty conduct by extending a branch of a well-known legal test for justifying termination represents an inevitable step forward – but one that must be taken with caution, says Toronto employment lawyer Arthur Zeilikman.
http://www.advocatedaily.com/millhaven-test-likely-to-be-influential-moving-forward.html

A lot has to do with what line of work you are in. Some occupations are held to higher standards of off-duty conduct than others.

eg: The City of Toronto would likely hold a Paramedic to a higher standard of off-duty conduct than a Refuse Crane Operator or Welder. Same employer, but different responsibilities to the public.

mariomike said:
eg: The City of Toronto would likely hold a Paramedic to a higher standard of off-duty conduct than a Refuse Crane Operator or Welder. Same employer, but different responsibilities to the public.

Ironically the guy who lost his job is probably being harassed on social media, email and phone calls home.

Jarnhamar said:
Ironically the guy who lost his job is probably being harassed on social media, email and phone calls home.

Harassed or Humiliated?  These guys were stupid enough to do something immature and stupid "on film" to be distributed to and remembered by many on a wide variety of media. 

"If you wouldn't say it/do it in front of your mother, don't say it/do it in front of a camera." 

George Wallace said:
Harassed or Humiliated?  These guys were stupid enough to do something immature and stupid "on film" to be distributed to and remembered by many on a wide variety of media. 

"If you wouldn't say it/do it in front of your mother, don't say it/do it in front of a camera."

Harassed.

For the record ....
Toronto television station CityNews says the man fired over hurling sexually explicit remarks at reporter Shauna Hunt last weekend has apologized for his actions.

(....)

CityNews says the man sent Hunt a written apology on Friday.

The station quotes Hunt as saying she appreciated him reaching out with what she felt was a “very genuine apology” and was “happy to accept it.”

CityNews reports the man told Hunt he intended the apology to be a personal note to her and she won’t release exactly what was said.

Jarnhamar said:
Harassed.

And here we are "full circle", back to the Subject of this thread.... "Harassment in public...." only, the guy is being harassed.

Stay cool
ME

- Having retired from the military and worked for two civilian companies since then, I have observed the following:

1. Drug/alcohol/DNA testing works.

2. Companies will let a person go if they hazard the bottom line for any reason.

3. A qualification is only as useful as the personality that holds it. An inability to apply a professional qualification using logic, common sense and good judgement renders that qualification useless. Any sign of a malignancy in personality or character is a red flag.

4. Contrary to all of the moaning and dripping of associations, co-workers are seldom sorry to see the idiot go.

As I loved to say back when I was in: "One of the best things you can do for a good soldier is to get rid of a bad one."

- Oh, and I think the reporter and her cameraman should find his mom. maybe bring a first aid kit in case she actually is 'dying of laughter.

- Perhaps she is. If the reporter asks her "Is that how you raised your son?" and the answer is not in the negative, we may have another case of: The apple does not fall far from the tree, and neither does the nut.

- Well, this was all over the CBC news tonight as female journalists are saying that this is more common than we thought. Now, when I went to high school waaaaaay back in the last century, had I said such a thing in public to a female student I would have been physically tuned by my peers.

- So, let us do some scenario training: you are the husband or brother of a female journalist and standing ten feet away when she is verbally assaulted by one of those cumbubbles. Question: How many teeth will be left in his mouth when you are done with him?

As long as that video is out there, good luck on future job applications with any major employers.

TCBF said:
- So, let us do some scenario training: you are the husband or brother of a female journalist and standing ten feet away when she is verbally assaulted by one of those cumbubbles.

I had to look that word up on Urban Dictionary! 

Eaglelord17 said:
Personally as someone else has said I am a big fan of 'I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it'. Yes it is offensive to some, but they happen to think it is some sort of joke. Even though I don't find this funny I find a good joke usually offends someone. If we have to start justifying our sense of humour, we might as well start to justify our sense of taste, and sexual preferences. Personally I have had things which I consider more offensive yelled at me (stuff like baby killer etc.) and nothing comes of it.

The key thing about this is (after watching a couple videos to understand what I am looking at) that it is not directed at the reporter themselves. I saw some where the reporter was male, I saw some where it was females who were yelling it. They are more doing it because there is a rolling camera rather than anything else. I can also understand how it is getting old for the reporters as this has been happening for a while now.

In conclusion what he did was in bad taste, but a few things considered, one being he never actually it himself, and the second thing is that it isn't worth his job over something as petty as this. I have seen people do significantly worse in the military (and other jobs) and nothing happens as a result (even in cases where it should).

Sometimes boys will be boys, sometimes boys will be assholes.  The boys who do this are assholes.  If you wouldn't yell it at your sister or mother, why yell it at a perfect stranger?

Kat Stevens said:
Sometimes boys will be boys, sometimes boys will be assholes.  The boys who do this are assholes.  If you wouldn't yell it at your sister or mother, why yell it at a perfect stranger?

As we see, their one minute of fame has led to a long term case of infamy.

CBC
May 19, 2015

"How far have we really come as a society, if female journalists are targeted for sexist attacks?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwhZzVd_jIo

mariomike said:
CBC
May 19, 2015

"How far have we really come as a society, if female journalists are targeted for sexist attacks?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwhZzVd_jIo

I think this is taking it too far and may also be a case of one generation not understanding meme's. If you look on Youtube which has hours of news bloopers where guys like the aforementioned HydroOne employee bomb live news crews all the time, regardless of sex or race. Its just a dumb, juvenile meme where I doubt offending women is the goal. Again, I'm not making excuses for people like this but they are blowing this story out of proportion and now serves another agenda.

FortYorkRifleman said:
I think this is taking it too far and may also be a case of one generation not understanding meme's. If you look on Youtube which has hours of news bloopers where guys like the aforementioned HydroOne employee bomb live news crews all the time, regardless of sex or race. Its just a dumb, juvenile meme where I doubt offending women is the goal. Again, I'm not making excuses for people like this but they are blowing this story out of proportion and now serves another agenda.

Just because a more recent generation gave "public dumb-assery" a title doesn't make it acceptable.  And it is not generational.  I knew dumb-asses when I was in my teens, and my twenties, and my thirties, and my forties, and my fifties - huh, now that I'm sixty maybe I should stop associating with dumb-asses.  The only thing that changed is the spread of social media.  While you may think it is just "juvenile" behaviour, it is not being done by juveniles but adults.  HydroOne dumb-ass (and the majority of the other dumb-asses who also prescribe to this behaviour) is not a juvenile.  You know what, the majority of us who did dumb-ass things in our youth grew up.  Maybe being held accountable for his actions, like an adult, gives him a hint on how to behave as a responsible adult.

Blackadder1916 said:
Just because a more recent generation gave "public dumb-assery" a title doesn't make it acceptable.  And it is not generational.  I knew dumb-asses when I was in my teens, and my twenties, and my thirties, and my forties, and my fifties - huh, now that I'm sixty maybe I should stop associating with dumb-asses.  The only thing that changed is the spread of social media.  While you may think it is just "juvenile" behaviour, it is not being done by juveniles but adults.  HydroOne dumb-*** (and the majority of the other dumb-asses who also prescribe to this behaviour) is not a juvenile.  You know what, the majority of us who did dumb-*** things in our youth grew up.  Maybe being held accountable for his actions, like an adult, gives him a hint on how to behave as a responsible adult.

Fair enough but but it was juvenile; he did a childish thing only he got caught doing it. What he said moreso than what he did I hear in bars and restaurants in Toronto all the time by men (and women) my age (28) and older. His behavior, I would say, is drunken buffoonery more than anything else. There's a time and a place for this sort of behavior and given the environment he was in which is a sporting event where alcohol is being served I wouldn't expect anything better. She didn't interview him outside of HydroOne on a Monday 

Back