• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hat Badge Dates?

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
So I seem to have built a collection of signals hat badges...

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of the dates for the hat badges? Not specific dates, but date ranges for each. I'm guessing at time frames for each, but have no real idea.

1 x RC Sigs Hat Badge, kings crown (I'm assuming WWII?)

1 x RC Sigs Hat Badge, queens crown (Post WWII - Unification?

1 x Metal CELE (Post unification - mid 90s?)

1 x Embroidered CELE Yellow Thread (Mid  90s to Early 2000?)

1 x Embroided CELE Gold Thread (Early 2000 to now?)

Any other had badges used post WWII?

Check this link out, got quite a bit of info on cap badges, and if that doesn't give you what you need, try contacting the curator at the C&E museum.

http://www.rcsigs.ca/ViewGroup/Item/Canada/Army/Uniforms-and-Insignia/Cap-Badges/Page/1/

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/contacts.htm

The change in cloth capbadges is more a contract than branch driven thing. I think all cloth capbadges are now made the same with the gold thread vice yellow.

Maybe, though I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, but I know I've seen a poster of some sort showing Canadian hat badges, and a photo of the yellow thread sigs hat badge and the words "obsolete" next to it... I remember because it ended an argument, my supervisor was hell bent I was wearing the wrong hat badge (gold thread) and his was the proper "new" hat badge (yellow thread). He refused to believe I had gone to the tailor to check for the "new" (yellow thread) hat badges.

It was rather silly, because two feet away you can't tell the difference anyway.

And i'm sure the only reason it was obsolete is because the NSN changed with the new contract. I still wear the old ones. They don't look so officerish.

Tango18A said:
And i'm sure the only reason it was obsolete is because the NSN changed with the new contract. I still wear the old ones. They don't look so officerish.

Is it that, or the fact that finding Jimmy capbadges at clothing stores are like trying to find a needle in a haystack?  >:D

Nope not at all, I got 4 at the last gun show that I went to. I go get my own, don't really care if the new type are free, just like berets. Haven't taken an issue one since my initial issue. Always buy them.

Tango18A said:

Plus the yellow thread doesn't fade to to brown the same way the gold does...

That's actually how I ended up with this collection of hat badges... I bought one of the yellow ones on e-bay, then saw a few older ones cheap... one thing leads to another, and suddenly, e-bay additiction... I can't even afford my crack-cocaine any more.

Stumbled on this:
http://www.commelec.forces.gc.ca/org/his/bh-hb/chapter-chapitre-06-eng.asp said:
On 10 April 1972 the C & E cap badge was approved. This badge was unique in that the cap badge differed from the approved branch badge. The cap badge has a light blue background as opposed to dark blue while the Mercury figure is of white metal rather than yellow of the Branch badge.

1 x RC Sigs Hat Badge, kings crown

- if it has the word 'Royal' in the oval then it's 1922-1953.
- if no Royal then 1922-1935.

1 x RC Sigs Hat Badge, queens crown (Post WWII - Unification?

- 1953 - 1974 (that's the latest I've seen pictures with it still being worn)

1 x Metal CELE (Post unification - mid 90s?)

- until the Forage cap was discontinued. Can't recall exact date.

1 x Embroidered CELE Yellow Thread (Mid  90s to Early 2000?)
1 x Embroided CELE Gold Thread (Early 2000 to now?)

Not sure exactly but this was a contract/manufacturing change vice a change in badge design.

The older cloth badge has never been retired. I have never had the new style, and never will. Neither have I been questioned about it. It is more a contract then a heraldry change.

Back