• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hate to waste current experience just to be accepted into the CF

miraclarke

Inactive
Reaction score
I am currently in the application process, preferably Navy, and have quite an extensive education/experience 25+ years in broadcasting. Was hoping for Imagery Tech. I was told "no chance" of getting into that trade. Naval Communications was my second choice. However, I hate to waste my past experience knowing that there is a military trade that is geared toward my field of work. I'm sorry if I sound suspicious, but I'd like some opinions on this:
I feel as though I am being excessively encouraged to enroll in the NavComm trade because it is in-demand. Is there something I am not being told, such as possible direct entry into the Imagery Tech trade even though the courses are closed? I am 43 years old and was told by my military siblings that prior learning experience would mean an acting rank after BMQ.  At the risk of sounding arrogant: There isn't much in the line of audio/visual technical training the military can offer me that I don't already have, ie: 3yrs vocational, 3yrs college level, 20+ years on-the-job as well as 15yrs underwater video.
The recruitment office says I might be able to remuster into that trade later, but wouldn't that mean I would lose any initial advantages to having education and experience in that trade, ie: higher rank? Also, I have a lot of experience in teaching broadcasting at high school level, are there opportunites for instructors? Any comments appreciated.

If you want the trade, wait.

Don't believe the "you can remuster later" nonsense.

There is no real conspiracy here.  If the recruiting centre told you that the Imagery trade is closed it is because it is.  Each trade is only alllowed to have some many people in it and Imagery being a very popular trade is completely full.  There is nothing that the recruiting centre can do about that, if a trade is full they can not hire people in that trade.  So they probably looked at your paperwork and noted that Naval Communicators have vacancies that is why they offered it to you.

On the other hand, I know some very good photographers in the CF who were good photographers before they became military photographers.  They entered another trade, and remustered.  My old info is that it's a bit of a long wait to get into the trade, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Think of any time you spend in the CF before remustering as time learning the system, the "subject", the environment - while you may be technically proficient, being a military imagery collector isn't exactly the same as being a journalistic or documentary imagery collector.

Nobody would be stopping you from keeping your skills honed in your off time.

Also, I can't read your mind or see into your heart, but if you're just looking for the higher rank and pay, some might question your motivation for joining the CF.  There's a lot of sacrifice involved - those who see it as a vocation will question anyone thinking of it as just a job.

Good luck in your quest.

miraclarke said:
I was told "no chance" of getting into that trade.

No chance because it was closed or no chance because it is extremely competitive?

miraclarke said:
I feel as though I am being excessively encouraged to enroll in the NavComm trade because it is in-demand.
Please understand that the whole purpose of recruiting/remustering is to meet the operational needs of the CF. While meeting individual desires is an obvious benefit, it is secondary consideration. As such, if "the big machine" needs NavComm personnel more than Imagery Techs, that will be the recruiting emphasis. It may not seem fair individually, but kind of makes sense organizationally.

I suspect that we have lots of applicants with extensive experience spray-painting buildings, bridges and ATM machines, but few are hired to refurbish vehicles in 202 Workshop.

Some good comments...just what I was looking for. Thank You.

As far as my motivation for joining the CF: at my current age, the thought of my life winding down toward retirement was pi**ing me off. I'm too young to be thinking that way, I have a lot of good working years left in me and the forces seemed like an exciting path to take. So regardless of what it takes to be a member, I am up for it!

Thanx again for your comments.

2010newbie said:
No chance because it was closed or no chance because it is extremely competitive?

Both, I would imagine. Image Tech seems to be one of those trades that fills up as soon as it's opened. It's both rather popular (Combat Camera is cool, etc), and a relatively small trade (Less than 300 total). Due to both of these factors, it is one of the few trades that are actually over-strength at the moment, and I expect it will be for the foreseeable future. This results in a paucity of direct entry positions. They appear to prefer Occupation Transfers as a method of producing Image Techs, as it is easier to take someone with combat / military experience and teach them how to work a camera than it is to take someone who knows how to work a camera, and give them combat / military experience.

So yeah, assuming there were any direct entry positions availible to begin with, they likely would have been snapped up real quick-like.

miraclarke said:
As far as my motivation for joining the CF: at my current age, the thought of my life winding down toward retirement was pi**ing me off. I'm too young to be thinking that way, I have a lot of good working years left in me and the forces seemed like an exciting path to take. So regardless of what it takes to be a member, I am up for it!

I'm glad that you clarified that. Thanks.

I can assure you that any talents, skills, abilities, and experience that you bring into the CF with you will be gladly abused, um, savagely exploited, er, put to good use somehow, and that may well lead you in the direction that you want in the future. There are what are known as "secondary duties" in units, minor but essential (sometimes, at least) jobs that are given to people in addition to their basic jobs. One of these is the Unit Public Affairs Officer/NCO or Unit Information Officer/NCO or whatever it's called now. You could seek that out, and that could well get you enough notice to get a crack at an OT ot Imagery Tech.

Does anyone here know an ImagTech that got in as a recruit? I know a few of them and they all OTd from various trades....none got in as a Phototech.....

I had an infantry Corporal working for me about four years ago that got in as an Occupational Transfer.  This was after a number of years (4-6?) of applying each year.  He also worked throughout that time at improving his photography, which he was recognized for in all of his prior postings, and latterly his digital editing skills. He had repeatedlhy won awards in the CF photo contests and was known to members of the trade for his skills before being accepted on OT.

Themouse said:
Does anyone here know an ImagTech that got in as a recruit? I know a few of them and they all OTd from various trades....none got in as a Phototech.....

Every one I know, is an OT

Themouse said:
Does anyone here know an ImagTech that got in as a recruit?

I certainly do. I have worked with a few over the last few years.

Both of the ones I know personally were OTs combined with CTs from the Reserves.

As for why they might not be taking applicants...it may also be they have a backlog in training the ones currently in the trade who haven't gotten their QL3 yet, which was a bottleneck for the trade not that recently, as the school in Borden can only run X amount of courses with X amount of people on them, and their courses are longer than most people would expect.

That info is from one of the Image Techs I know personally, who is a MCpl at the School.

IIRC, but wasn't Image Tech closed off to all but the Infantry to support the SVOTP to divest some of the excess manpower?  Can someone confirm this?

Figured I'd give you my experiencein two points.

First, as the above posters mentioned, don't listen to that "you can remuster" nonsense.  Remustering is an extremely painful and overlong process (not for everyone, but for the majority of the soldiers/sailors/airmen I have met), and is generally not worth it.  If you're going into the Forces, make damn sure you pick the right trade and commit to it.

Second, Image Techs, well generally the CF only takes 5 nationally every year.  5.  Think about how many applicants there are for a "cool looking" trade like that.  It is EXTREMELY competitive.  The right time to apply would be the the beginning of April for that specific trade, as I was told several times when I worked at a recruiting center.

Best of luck.

I was merit listed earlier this year (and late last year) for imagery. They "normally" open between 2 and 8 positions a year. (All of this info is what I was told by the recruiting office, disclaimer, take it for what it's worth)... they could have hundreds each year apply for it. However, this year they did not open it. OT's have first dibs on any positions this year as part of a voluntary change of trades. 

I know of only one person who became imagery who did NOT do an OT to get it -- straight off the street. It's a rarity though, from those imagery techs that I've spoken to first hand.

I don't have the luxury of waiting around a few years for the trade to re-open so I chose another one. What I am doing (and am in no way implying you should, again, MY personal experience) is that I have selected another trade that I was merit-listed for and will be going to BMQ sometime in the near future to do that. However, over the next few years I will be continuing to work on my photography and videography to better my portfolio should the option arise where an OT is possible. 

It's a great trade I am told from all of the imagery people I have spoken to first-hand. There's a good reason it's difficult to get into. Now -- all that being said, I was told if I really wanted to get an imagery position, I could look around for a reserve unit that may have an opening for imagery to get my foot into the door. However, I currently need full-time salary and it wasn't feasible for me to pack house and move towards a unit elsewhere for part-time work.

Again, these are just my opinions on something I've just gone through. I am in no way an expert on the subject and am expressing only my very limited knowledge which includes first-hand accounts, interviews and my views on the subject.    ;D

Is there anyone on here that actually works the job, that could comment on the day to day job?  What you do etc?

Also on another note, are you allowed to photograph things on base/missions as a civilian (but still apart of the canadian forces)  ?  Its hard to word that I'm hoping its understood what I'm trying to ask, if not I can try again to explain it a little better.

- T.

I am not sure what you mean by "a civilian (but still apart of the canadian forces)" - DND employee?

Unless signs otherwise indicate, photography is generally permitted, but could generate suspicion.

Back