• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hate to waste current experience just to be accepted into the CF

I can't answer on whether it is acceptable or not. I'm not in the forces yet. But, your question reminded me of something I had seen a few months ago which is a contest that happens each year.

Here's the general info:

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Sp/PhotoContestHome_e.asp

And here is an example of some of their photography:
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Sp/2009Winners/2009CategoryWinners_e.asp
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Sp/2008Winners/Amateur/MilitaryLIfe_e.asp <--- this one has military type photos in it, for you to see

(they have it going back about four years, if you look around and from that, you can see what kind of photography has been submitted)

Loachman said:
I am not sure what you mean by "a civilian (but still apart of the canadian forces)" - DND employee?

Unless signs otherwise indicate, photography is generally permitted, but could generate suspicion.

Not on duty. 

- T.

Being off duty does not make you a civilian. What is your current status, military or civilian?

Loachman said:
Being off duty does not make you a civilian. What is your current status, military or civilian?

Both were generalizations, whether civilian or off duty military, is it frowned upon?

Currently civilian, waiting to write CFAT.

- T.

It doesn't matter if you are civilian, military off duty, or military on duty; if a sign says "NO PHOTOGRAPHS" it is definitely frowned upon (as was already stated by Loachman).  At most other times "good judgement" and "discretion" would best answer your question.

George Wallace said:
It doesn't matter if you are civilian, military off duty, or military on duty; if a sign says "NO PHOTOGRAPHS" it is definitely frowned upon (as was already stated by Loachman).  At most other times "good judgement" and "discretion" would best answer your question.

My apologies, I haven't been on base so I'm unaware of such signs just yet.  I was looking for someone else's experience on the subject having taken field photos, the ones found online gotta come from somewhere.  I'm curious if an Imagery Tech took them or if someone 'snuck' a camera on tour/mission with them.  Sorry I guess I could have elaborated more detail as to what I was inquiring about.

- T.

Photographs and videos have summed up peoples careers, brought about the disbandment of Regiments, and caused loss of life.  Cameras, be they a camera, a video camera, a cell phone, etc. are everywhere.  Think before you take a shot and think again before you publish.  Something funny to you, may not be to someone else.  Images taken out of context are very damaging.

Lots of people have cameras with them. You'll be briefed about restrictions during ops, and there are usually signs where photography is not permitted.

Posting photos online is another matter. Too many people post things that they should not, or post photos of others without permission.

*Or* pretty much what George just said a little quicker.

I wasn't referring to any photography/videography of the derogatory state at all.  Purely artistic, or lack of a better word/discription.  I mean no offence by my inquiry, forgive me it seems I am being misunderstood/misinterpreted. 

Here are a couple examples generalized.

http://www.zastavki.com/pictures/1024x768/2007/Army__004476_.jpg

http://www.armymwr.com/images/news/0949-cannon.jpg

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//5b/f/5bf172138afc3907b852805047ea7f97.jpg

I gave links to save on bandwith.

I'm aware there are cameras everywhere, Ive seen a few photos military friends of mine have submitted of their own but just of the hangin around portions, aka the kind they frown upon.  That isn't what I am asking about, I'm asking about the artistic side, those taken to capture a specific moment, portrait etc.  There are photo contests for military photography I am unaware of but I would assume they exhist, so that would imply the use of camera equipemtn, is it an Imagery Tech that captured those or are civilians/off duty recruits able to participate in such things ?

Again I apologize if this is misunderstood.  I am not trying to inquire as to derogatory or incriminating photography.

- T.

Damn, I don't understand why people needed to make this one complicated... he asked a simple question, even if it's a question that seems absurdly simple to those of us in the forces, he's not in the forces, and it's not an absurdly simple question to him.

Yes, you can take pictures as a soldier, people do it all the time.  If you want to take artsy pics, go for it. I've got a small canon power shot which fits perfectly into a plastic cigarette case and then in turn fits perfectly into a combat shirt pocket.

Given that a career in the forces can take you to some very unique places, it's nice to be able to take pictures to show your friends and family where you've been. If you're handy with the camera, it's even better. Beaches in cyrpus, first sunrise at the north pole, the rocky mountains, etc... all fantastic photo opportunities...

Now, what other people were talking about. There are occasionally security concerns, for example, when it comes to training, and especially operations. There are very seldom signs saying "no picture" (Though they do exist, generally at the entrances to areas containing somthing sensitive).

Just be aware of what you photograph. Yourself on your buddies on top of the rocky mountains during adventure training, no problem, yourself and your buddies on operations, there may be a problem... if you're not sure if you should be taking a photograph, ask first. Anything that reveals tactics, current or future operations, or personal information, shouldn't be shared....

Then there's the "national post test". Ask yourself, how would I feel if my grandmother saw this picture on the cover of the national post? If she wouldn't like it, don't take the picture. (That test also works to determine if you should or shouldn't be doing whatever you're doing, if your grandmother wouldn't like what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it).

Image Tech is NOT open for direct entry this FY, there are no vacancies except for the special Infantry voluntary occupational transfer program.

I would suggest you apply as an Image tech and request a Prior Learning Assessment Report (PLAR) be done to see if you are classed as semi skilled. With your application submit a resume and a sample of your work.  Once the PLAR is back you will know for sure if your experience will bring you shortened training and a higher salary with your offer of employment. Best of Luck.

feel free to PM me if you have questions.

a Sig Op said:
Damn, I don't understand why people needed to make this one complicated... he asked a simple question, even if it's a question that seems absurdly simple to those of us in the forces, he's not in the forces, and it's not an absurdly simple question to him.

Yes, you can take pictures as a soldier, people do it all the time.  If you want to take artsy pics, go for it. I've got a small canon power shot which fits perfectly into a plastic cigarette case and then in turn fits perfectly into a combat shirt pocket.

Given that a career in the forces can take you to some very unique places, it's nice to be able to take pictures to show your friends and family where you've been. If you're handy with the camera, it's even better. Beaches in cyrpus, first sunrise at the north pole, the rocky mountains, etc... all fantastic photo opportunities...

Now, what other people were talking about. There are occasionally security concerns, for example, when it comes to training, and especially operations. There are very seldom signs saying "no picture" (Though they do exist, generally at the entrances to areas containing somthing sensitive).

Just be aware of what you photograph. Yourself on your buddies on top of the rocky mountains during adventure training, no problem, yourself and your buddies on operations, there may be a problem... if you're not sure if you should be taking a photograph, ask first. Anything that reveals tactics, current or future operations, or personal information, shouldn't be shared....

Then there's the "national post test". Ask yourself, how would I feel if my grandmother saw this picture on the cover of the national post? If she wouldn't like it, don't take the picture. (That test also works to determine if you should or shouldn't be doing whatever you're doing, if your grandmother wouldn't like what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it).

Thank you, you answered my question and then some perfectly.  I appreciate it.  I also wondered how they lugged around their cameras as if it were me I would be afraid for the camera to get damaged, but the plastic case makes perfect sense :)  Thanks again, I appreciate your time.

- T.

I bought a "cheap" camera for Afghanistan, just in case it got broken.

Back