• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearing protection / Aids

Jamtorky

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been reading a little about the Peltor Tac 6  and the COMTAC I and II.

Anyone have any experience with these other then on the range??

What kind of ear protection are the troops currently using??

I personally didnt like the peltors I tried over seas because my ears just sweat buckets with them on. They worked great, made hearing voices very easy but I couldnt take the heat.

I'm using a pair of Tac 6's, they work great, albeit i havent used them in a hot environment yet. the batteries last a long time (ive worn mine for around 14 hours now without a battery change), and they work really well for blocking out sound when its too loud, and allowing more sound when its too quiet. they also fit really nice under my helmet.

ive worn mine on the range, and a live fire ex involving helos with door guns, patrolling, and lots of shooting. in the helos and with the guns going, it was a dull thumping noise i felt more than i heard. on the patrol, it allowed lots of sound in and easily allowed me to hear everything going on. this was at a temp of around -5 to -10, so not exactly afghani summer tempatures.

For a KISS approach that allows you to hear normally, yet provide safe protection try the Surefire 'Sonic Defender'
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24306/sesent/00

Features:
9 decibel Noise Reduction Rating
Ergonomic design conforms to natural shape of ear for comfort while improving earpiece retention
Hear safe sound levels as if you weren't wearing ear plugs
Blocks potentially dangerous noise levels
Made from soft, hypoallergenic, medical-grade polymer
Low-profile design lets you keep Sonic Defenders™ in place while wearing mask, helmet or hat, or when using phone, headphones or supplemental hearing muffs

CP Gear will soon be stocking these for $12/set.
Email me @ matt@cpgear.com for ordering information whilst we get these on the website.

Matt and others this is what I use. I have had no problems with them. After reading a lot of reviews of them online there were many pro's and cons but I figured for $10-15 a set what the hell. Couldn't be happier! They are great for everything, they stay in my ears, reduce noise inside vehicles, outside, and within rooms with no issues. If you are doing sustained firing on an indoor range I would add muffs on top of them but for moving through and clearing rooms I had no issues. The only thing I wish they had a lanyard around them, other than that great.

49- The peltors are great, dont get me wrong they work awesome but you will hate life when you hit the desert.

Phil, thats kinda what i figured would happen. im gonna keep using em here in canada, cause they keep my ears warm when its retarded frosty outside (it was -30 the last day we were on the range, and my ears were comfy in said peltors).

I think ill look into them surefire thingamabobbers. how are they in the dust and dirt? easy to clean? water resistant/proof? stay in place?

I have fucked up ears, no ear plugs stay in, but these I have no problem with. I havent used them in the rain or underwater but they are made of silicone, or some other soft plastic so I can only assume that it will be fine with water. As far as dust and sand, they are like any other earplug, not to bad. I just threw my earplugs into a nalgene bottle with rubbing alchohol and bang, clean and sterile.

I've worn my Comtacs and Comtac 2s for the last couple years including 2 summers in Iraq.  Yes, you sweat but to me that is worth my hearing.  You're sweating your ass off if you aren't wearing them anyways.  With the muffs and m-frames it does press on my temples which is annoying after a few hours, but the new M Frames have rectified that so I'll have to pick up a pair.

From someone with experience, what if anything are the guys on roto right now using for hearing protection?

Well, the first thing I do in a loud situation is .........take off my hearing aids. If I'd payed attention and we'd had a policy way back when, I might not need them now. 45 years ago, sensitive guys put cigarette butts in their ears. However, to preserve what I have left, while in Canada, a set of foam earplugs, then some electronic ear defenders that allow ambient noise, but cut out above 85db.

Sensgard!!  26Db rating

Zem_gray_small.png

Protects your hearing and you can carry on a normal conversation.  Great at the range so you can hear the RO.  They are perfect if you don't require comms features.  No problem wearing them with a helmet either.

You will not be fumbling around taking them in and out like other styles.  You won't be sweating with them on your head and you'll get a perfect cheek weld.

NO batteries to die on you.

They wont work with a helmet.

Unless your covert/low profile stay with PELTORS/SORDINS -- suck up the sweat and save your hearing -- as soon as your running and gunning ear piece shit will fall out and your be all fucked up and dumb as a post. 

Are there any retailers for these products in Edmonton? I am heading out the door pretty soon, some decent hearing protection just might be a good idea....

P&D may have them -- but I know that TheShootingEdge in Calgary does.

Hey RECCEGUY.... I thought that all you old school soldats used semi hardened grease chunks found in the engine hole on the ferrets ... joking... hope you CF98'd that stuff... remember ...things seem quieter in front of the gun trunion ...yeah right!!!

... for someone that is going to be doing a fair amount of mounted activity( but not limited to)  say in a  G-wagon or RG31 ...knowing that they will be dealing with a helmet and headset ect ...  what kind of set up can anyone reccomend??...

Also ... any reason the the CF hasn't taken a proactive approach to this...or am I missing something??

Jamtorky said:
Hey RECCEGUY.... I thought that all you old school soldats used semi hardened grease chunks found in the engine hole on the ferrets ... joking... hope you CF98'd that stuff... remember ...things seem quieter in front of the gun trunion ...yeah right!!!

... for someone that is going to be doing a fair amount of mounted activity( but not limited to)  say in a  G-wagon or RG31 ...knowing that they will be dealing with a helmet and headset ect ...  what kind of set up can anyone reccomend??...

Also ... any reason the the CF hasn't taken a proactive approach to this...or am I missing something??

If you want to lay out some cash...but the Oregon Aero Ballistic upgrade for the Canadian helmet and a set of Comtac 2s. Thats the setup I originally ran before getting a MICH and then later a TC-2002 Gunfighter.

Jamtorky said:

Don't need to. My pension is already approved, and being collected.

Big Red said:
If you want to lay out some cash...but the Oregon Aero Ballistic upgrade for the Canadian helmet and a set of Comtac 2s. Thats the setup I originally ran before getting a MICH and then later a TC-2002 Gunfighter.

+1

Since my CF Gallet had been modified when I was in Afghan (NV plate and a IR flashlight plate drilled onto it) -- they let me keep it when I got out -- when I upgraded to the TC2002 GF I lent my old one to another former Patricia turned security contractor.

Jamtorky said:

My guess would be that enough people have not put in pensions for hearing loss.

I find the CF will not react to a kit deficiency until they are either;

a) humiliated in the press and shamed into acquiring it or;

b) so many people demand compensation for injury through the pension system that it becomes cheaper to buy the kit than pay the pensions.

In short - the only thing you forgot was the Cost/benefit analysis.

Back