• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heights in Basic traning (Fear of Heights)

WebAddict said:
I cant climb ropes , it something I havent learned,? do they teach u how?

Yes. As long as you can hold your bodyweight up with your hands, you can climb ropes - it is mostly technique, not strength

I was terrified of heights as well. Still am a little bit. Screamed the entire way on the zip line on my basic. When I got to my first posting, a buddy took me out rock climbing and precede to scare the living cra* out of me. Now, after a decade of active rock climbing/rapelling/bungee jumping, I'm good to go. It can be beaten, trust me. It will still be scary, but it can be overcome. Everyone here has been saying pretty much the same things.
Ohh, and from good buds that were boarding party, rapelling out of a chopper happens as well as up and over the side of a boat. Face your fears and go for it. The adrenaline rush will more than compensate.

ok well i was reading down some and someone said that you have to jump off a platform into water and climb back up is that true if so how big is the climb up......
What do you repell off of... how high is this platform or whatever it is .... do you just dangel there ... Im pretty scared of heights but iam pretty sure i can push my self if i can be kinda prepared for it....

P.S iam looking for someone that has recently went through St.Jean

Mikehamilton565 said:
ok well i was reading down some and someone said that you have to jump off a platform into water and climb back up is that true if so how big is the climb up......
What do you repell off of... how high is this platform or whatever it is .... do you just dangel there ... Im pretty scared of heights but iam pretty sure i can push my self if i can be kinda prepared for it....

P.S iam looking for someone that has recently went through St.Jean
Looks like someone didn't read this Topic.  ::)

Here Mike, I'll make it easy for you;

If you spend more time on the computer than at the gym, the army is not for you.

If you need to sit down for a break on the way to the fridge, the army is not for you.

If you find the prospect of climbing onto a diving board, that six year old girls throw themselves off with wild glee and abandon scary, or something that you "need to prepare yourself for", just look for a job elsewhere.

If you still can't make a decision, read the rest of the thread - all of your questions are answered there.  :)

Had a question about Rappelling in BMQ/BMOQ, so I searched on Google and this is the first topic it was mentioned in. Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I was watching a documentary on Marine Corps Basic Training to mentally prepare (however much is possible) for my BMOQ. There were three things in there that stood out to me (apart from the incredibly excessive yelling, holy jeez), and I wanted to know if they are included in Canadian Forces BMQ/BMOQ.

- Rappelling - I really want to learn this. Is this still included in BMOQ?
- Swim test - I'm an average swimmer. Do they teach you how to swim, or is it a straight test?
- Rope climbing - I have never climbed a rope. I can do chin-ups/pull-ups, but can't climb a rope (it's embarrassing). I want to learn how to do this. Is this part of the o-course?

Thank you to everyone who answers!

Edit: Found one of my answers in a different thread: It's a straight swim test, and is not included in many Reserve BMQs.

ACE_Engineer said:
Had a question about Rappelling in BMQ/BMOQ, so I searched on Google and this is the first topic it was mentioned in. Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I was watching a documentary on Marine Corps Basic Training to mentally prepare (however much is possible) for my BMOQ. There were three things in there that stood out to me (apart from the incredibly excessive yelling, holy jeez), and I wanted to know if they are included in Canadian Forces BMQ/BMOQ.

- Rappelling - I really want to learn this. Is this still included in BMOQ?
- Swim test - I'm an average swimmer. Do they teach you how to swim, or is it a straight test?
- Rope climbing - I have never climbed a rope. I can do chin-ups/pull-ups, but can't climb a rope (it's embarrassing). I want to learn how to do this. Is this part of the o-course?

Thank you to everyone who answers!

Edit: Found one of my answers in a different thread: It's a straight swim test, and is not included in many Reserve BMQs.

There is rappelling: one done at 15 feet, the other at 30 feet.

No swim test because the pool at St-Jean is closed. I never asked why.

No rope climbing but there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqc4wWM6u5U

This is how I look at rock climbing and rappelling:

One part of my brain screams in terror that I am going to die.  The other part of my brain says that I have the equipment, training and skills not to die. 

I have learned to make the reasonable part of my brain tell the other unreasonable part to shut up.  For a military career, you will trust your life (and those around you) to your equipment, training and skills.

I might *speculate* this is part of basic training to make sure future military people can overcome fear by trusting what they know.  And it is a good life skill. 

Back