• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hello its me, this is gonna be hard for you to read

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello its me, this is gonna be hard for you to read

At 19, Rifleman Cyrus Thatcher was one of the youngest victims of the Afghan war. These letters – given to The Independent by his family – reveal the excitement of a teenager sent to fulfil his dream, and his maturity in confronting the possibility that he might not make it home

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/hello-mum-this-is-going-to-be-hard-for-you-to-read-1753008.html

Rest in peace, Rfn Thatcher.    :salute: 

Thanks to his family for sharing these letters, and to daftandbarmy for posting this. 

Now there's a kid any parent would be proud to have.  :salute:

Sometimes we forget that the immaturity in some of the youngsters we see, is actually just a brave face for their insecurities.  In actual fact, they're a lot more mature than we take them to be.

RDJP said:
Sometimes we forget that the immaturity in some of the youngsters we see, is actually just a brave face for their insecurities.  In actual fact, they're a lot more mature than we take them to be.

True.

It's humbling, how awareness of our mortality can change things, & seem to quickly prioritize them.  The letters got me thinking about what I'd want my loved ones to know if I were gone.  Stuff that can be hard to say in the course of normal everyday life.  Who among us feels comfortable expressing those things to others, except after we've died?

A great young man. 

Back