• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helmets 2 Hardhats [Merged]

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
shared in accordance with the provisions of the copyright act

Combat-to-construction program unveiled for veterans
By Tobi Cohen, Postmedia News
http://www.canada.com/business/Combat+construction+program+unveiled+veterans/4485334/story.html#ixzz1HNmOusFt
OTTAWA — Canada is importing a U.S. program aimed at helping veterans transition from combat to construction.

The Helmets to Hardhats Program introduced in Tuesday's federal budget involves no new money and will primarily consist of a new website aimed at matching skilled veterans and newly released Canadian Forces members with the construction sector.

Canada has teamed up with the Building and Construction Trades Department, the American Federation of Labour and the Congress of Industrial Organizations to roll out the program in Canada.

"Our brave Canadian veterans have earned our deepest gratitude and highest respect," Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said upon tabling the budget.

"This is just one more practical way to provide the support they deserve."

The program launched in the U.S. in 2003 and in 2008 about 1,700 former U.S. soldiers made the transition.

article continues...

It will be modelled on the eight-year-old United States' "helmets to hardhats" program, which Blackburn said has been "very well received.

Yep, it was in the budget. Thread needs a 48hr cooldown until the Minister can make his announcement.

I will lock this even though I think it's wrong........I gave up my 'military' status over 20 years ago.

Bumped with the latest from the PM - am also unlocking the thread since we're WAY past budget time:
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced support for Helmets to Hardhats, a program that will help provide Veterans, Canadian Armed Forces members and Reservists access to a range of careers within the construction industry, including apprenticeships in various building trades.

“Our Government is working hard to provide our dedicated military personnel, past and present, with the care, services, and financial support they need and deserve,” said Prime Minister Harper.  “We are truly proud to be part of the Helmets to Hardhats program which will help provide jobs and training opportunities for our brave Veterans, members of the Canadians Armed Forces and Reservists interested in transitioning to a career in the construction industry. The program will promote employment and economic growth while helping to meet labour needs in this sector.”

Helmets to Hardhats, a partnership with Canada’s Building Trades Unions, is an innovative partnership that brings union, private and public sector resources together to provide Veterans, members of the Canadian Armed Forces and Reservists with exclusive access to jobs and training opportunities in the construction industry, including administrative, engineering, human resources and onsite positions. The program will also stimulate growth by helping fill the much needed employment gap in the construction industry.

Candidates will be able to access information about careers and apprenticeships by telephone and from a newly developed Web site beginning in the spring of 2012. Veterans will be able to use the Helmets to Hardhats Web site to identify opportunities that interest them, and match their skill sets in the construction industry.

The Helmets to Hardhats program builds on existing programs under the New Veterans Charter which provides Veterans with the necessary support as they make the change from military to civilian life.
PM news release, 6 Jan 12

From the Backgrounder:
The Government of Canada is committed to supporting our Veterans by providing them with the support they need, when and where they need it. This includes providing them with skills and job opportunities to transition from military to civilian life, while keeping Canada’s economy strong.

To this end, the Government of Canada is contributing $150,000 through Veteran Affairs Canada’s Community Engagement Partnership Fund to support Helmets to Hardhats, a program that brings union, private and public sector resources together to help provide Veterans, Canadian Armed Forces members and Reservists access to a range of careers within the construction industry including apprenticeships in various building trades. The program is modeled after the Helmets to Hardhats program in the United States, established in 2003.

The Helmets to Hardhats Canada program, a partnership with Canada’s Building Trades Unions, will benefit Veterans and Canadians by:

Providing transitioning Veterans with exclusive access to jobs and training opportunities in the construction industry, where they can apply the skills they developed in the Canadian Armed Forces ;
    Helping them provide for their families and to contribute to their communities in a new way;
    Helping to meet labour needs in the construction sector; and
    Helping to generate employment that continues to fuel Canada’s long-term economic growth.

The Government’s contribution to the program will serve to assist with start-up costs including website development and promotional materials. In Canada, the program is set to begin in the spring of 2012.

The private sector is also an important partner in the program. To date, TransCanada Corporation has committed $1 million over 5 years to help strengthen the link between active military duty and civilian careers in the construction trades industry. Other private sector partners are also being sought ....

So they are making a website for veterans to make them feel special.

Basically it's the civilian Apprenticeship Incentive Grant; Apprenticeship Completion Grant....with a military website.

Smoke and mirrors.

Well, I for one will be following this development. I personally have been doing this transition on my own and would be interested in employing transitioning vets into my business.

Jed said:
Well, I for one will be following this development. I personally have been doing this transition on my own and would be interested in employing transitioning vets into my business.

Awesome to hear Jed. Thanks for keeping the boy and girls in mind in your new vocation. :salute:

I would rather them give vets priority for public service jobs, and I think the average CF vet is overqualified for construction jobs and it would be a step backwards for some?

Jed said:
Good show!

greydak said:
and I think the average CF vet is overqualified for construction jobs and it would be a step backwards for some?

It is one program and one option.

Nobody is going to force vets to take it.

I agree.....it's great to have options. For those that want to pursue this, as I probably would have when I came back to Canada, it's great.

Sun Media digs up some critics to counterpoint at least one supporter:
.... One retired Canadian Forces General says he endorses the program and has heard nothing but good reviews so far from fellow vets.

“This gives all veterans a much needed option, because as we know, transitioning from service to civilian life is difficult,” said Lewis MacKenzie, a 71-year-old Gulf War vet.

“This is a step in the right direction, and from what I’ve heard, the veterans of Canada appreciate the government’s support.”

MacKenzie is adamant the H2H program will be hugely beneficial for both reservists and veterans.

“I think the wide spectrum of skills gained in the military are conducive to a career in construction,” he said. “I do agree it’d be nice to see the veterans get some educational funding, but that doesn’t mean this isn’t a great program.”

But Sean Bruyea — a former airforce intelligence officer for the Canadian Armed Forces — disagrees.

And he’s not alone.

“It’s a generous idea, sure, but it has extremely limited application in Canada,” said Bruyea. “Not to demean construction workers, but the skill set acquired in the military is (higher than) required by construction work.”

Don Leonardo, the head of Veterans Canada, says the program is a band-aid on a much larger issue.

“The problem is military specific skills can’t be transferred to ‘civi-street,’ as we called it,” said Leonardo, 50.

“There are highly intelligent, specially trained accident investigators who, once they get out, have no means of defining a civi-street skill set. Should those men go swing a hammer?”

His answer, and Bruyea’s, is an unequivocal no ....
I think it's more than a bit condescending to say that "military specific skills can’t be transferred to ‘civi-street’ ".  As mentioned earlier, it's an option to make it easier for those interested.

Should those men go swing a hammer?”

Around where my dad works, construction folks are paid a small fortune as there is a huge shortage of qualified tradesmen. In fact, some of them are being paid even though the building they are supposed to build is not ready to start, because once you lose a crew, it is impossible to get them back. It is highly paid, skilled work that requires some of the same attributes we expect out of soldiers.

Get off you high horse, Mr Bruyea.

CDN Aviator said:
Get off you high horse, Mr Bruyea.

Agreed.  Not everyone in the military has a degree in pushing paper and skilled trades are not easy nor stupid work.  Sponsorship in an apprenticeship program can be hard to come by, and I for one think this is a good thing.

I wonder if Mr Bruyea has ever considered that some folks might want to do something completely different?  Frankly, working construction is about as far as you can get from my current CF occupation, but has a great deal of appeal to me.  By the time I retire from the CF, I will have spent 38 years doing essentially the same thing.  Swinging a hammer or pulling wire could be a welcome change.  I also strongly disagree that my military skill sets will be of no value in the construction industry.  Heck, being able to tie my own tourniquet has got be worth something!  And I know I can impress the guys on the job site with a parbuckle.  I'll be watching this closely as I get closer to retirement. 

milnews.ca said:
Sun Media digs up some critics to counterpoint at least one supporter:I think it's more than a bit condescending to say that "military specific skills can’t be transferred to ‘civi-street’ ".  As mentioned earlier, it's an option to make it easier for those interested.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about combat arms soldiers having zero transferable "trades". Not many lav commander jobs in North Sydney like a EME,clerk, wpns tech would have.

Leadership of course is always transferable; "military specific skills" ...not so much for some.

dogger1936 said:
...not so much for some.

Then an aprenticeship program in the construction industry is a good option for a good paying second career for those short on transferable skills. I've been seeing alot of negative reactions to this on Facebook as well and i don't understand the objections.

Back