• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help out a poor sig?

Ex Ranger Instructor

Reaction score
Listen dudes, I need some help:

It may be necessary for my unit to engage in a coy attack as a part of our next exercise.   I realize that this may be a dumb thing for non-infantry type guys to attempt without significant workup trg, but I'm not really making the call here.   The fact is that although I consider myself to be a pretty good infanteer for being a sig, the largest attack that I've ever taken part in was a pl attack, and that was 4 years ago, on my JNCO, and it didn't really go so hot.   I would be pretty grateful if some experienced infanteers could give me some info on the fol:

1.   Detailed Pl attack tactics, to include details of Pl WO and Pl Comd responsibilities;
2.   How the Pl attack fits into the Coy attack, and general stuff about CSM and Coy Comd responsibilities; and
3.   What the heck I should do here, considering that my guys aren't really ready to do a proper section attack yet?

Oh, and this is set to go off in about 2 weeks.   Pls advise soonest.

Guys, come on.  I can't believe that no one is able to help me on this.

There are tons of experienced guys who regularly post in this forum!  I really need a bit of advice here boys: I would like to prevent having the younger guys in my unit learn bad lessons as a result of this thing.  Any help that could be offered would be much appreciated.

You could start with the old 309(3) The intantry Platoon in Battle (which I can't find on the net - you may have better luck with the DWAN) and the Cbt Tm Comd's Handbbok available at http://armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/new-nouveau.asp

Have you thought about contacting the PWOR in Kingston?

Sadly, the 'Infantry Platoon/Section in Battle' is not available on-line (anywhere)....I looked. Your unit should have the hard copy. It has all you need.

Well, I was already aware of the pams you guys mentioned, and yes, my unit does have them.  I've been perusing them already.  I guess I was just hoping for a little bit more personalized instruction than the books give.  I suppose that my original question might have been a bit off too: what I guess I'm really looking for most of all are suggestions as to how I can do my part (or maybe a little more than my part) to prevent this from turning into a complete and utter gongshow.  Like I said, most of the young guys are going to have a hard time just getting the basics of the section attack right, and there will be no workup training before the actual coy attack.  Couple that with the fact that we have a serious shortage of experienced guys, which will mean that a lot of leadership positions are probably going to get filled by underqualified pers, and you have what I think is going to be a recipe for disaster.  I've suggested through my chain of command that we do get a SME from the local infantry unit, but that probably isn't going to happen, not at this late date, anyway.  I have a feeling that this is just going to turn into a big waste of time, with the new guys learning nothing valuable at best, or the wrong stuff at worst.

Anyway, if anyone has any great ideas that could help me out in that regard, or if anyone can offer me some concrete, real world examples that would flesh out the understanding of the pl and coy attack that the pams have given me, I would really appreciate it.

Willy:

I would suggest that since you already have the relevant pams, re-familiarize yourself with the sections on patrolling and patrol orders.  I infer from your posts that you won't have workup times in the field to get your troops up to speed.  The next best thing would be outdoor classes with mock-ups in the form of sand tables.  (Not blackboards or OHP's.)  Then conduct the training as if it were a set of orders complete with the sand table visual aid.  You know, â Å“If this happens when we're here, then you guys will do this.â ? sort of thing.  Don't skimp making the sand table and if you can base it on a topo map of the actual trg. area, so much the better.  It will really help your troops get a feel for the ground that they will actually cover.  Make sure your troops have clearly defined roles, i.e.: assault team, fire support team etc. and if you can, have them practice fire-and-movement techniques during PT.

Remember, the plan of attack never survives contact with the enemy, so relax.  The best thing you can do for your troops is to make sure that YOU know what you're doing and can react to a fluid situation.

As for the points in your first post:
1. If you have 309(3) then you have access to Pl. Cmd. and Pl. WO responsibilities already.  No need to elaborate.
2. Will be covered in your Wng.O. and the O. Gp.
3. Remember to keep your troops spaced properly and combine that with fire-and-movement.  This will help you at least look professional.

Cheers and have fun.

Back