• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Helping out unofficially

Dedicated_future_soldier

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering about the policy concerning helping out during a natural disaster such as a snow storm when the unit hasn't been activated. Is this frowned upon? One example of this would be the ice storm of last year. If I was to help out local authorities with dealing with it would it be considered a no no?

Thanks
J-S-S

Dedicated_future_soldier said:
Hello,
I was wondering about the policy concerning helping out during a natural disaster such as a snow storm when the unit hasn't been activated. Is this frowned upon? One example of this would be the ice storm of last year. If I was to help out local authorities with dealing with it would it be considered a no no?

Thanks
J-S-S

As a good neighbour, in a civilian capacity, you can.  Unless it comes down from your superiors, you can not use any military equipment, nor wear your uniform indicating you are a member of the CAF, to do so.  The order for the military to become involved comes down right from the very top, after the Government has ordered the military to do so. 

I know a few people that are active with things like the red cross, local emergency support units and a butt load of volunteer firefighters. I can imagine anyone getting in trouble for aiding in an emergency unless doing so interfered with an official response or doing the things George mentioned above.

Honestly Tcm621,

There is an example of a serving member who also volunteered with an EMR type group your mentioned,
during the "White Juan" storm in Halifax. The member was stellar in pulling in beds, tools and resources,
but did not communicate it to higher up, who were also relying on many of those resources.
The same member, on his own hours (after work) also chose to wear his volunteer uniform on base during the crisis
to direct civilians and advise them ect..

Our senior Log O, use the above examples during training to emphasis "know your people", chain of command
and authority to do what when.

Back