• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hemorrhage Simulation

Hunter

Inactive
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I worked with the 2 Fd Amb training cell and the Ottawa Paramedic Service to provide some training in the basics of care under fire and tactical field care, as it applies to medics the city's Public Order Unit. Prior to this training I got my hands on a hemorrhage simulation system made by Skedco. With this system the casualty wears a camelback pack with a pressurized bladder and a pump, with lines connecting the pump to simulated injury sites.  Bleeding is remotely controlled with a keyfob.

Here is s sample video from the day's training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMuODuZbj58

I was wondering if anyone reading this has any experience with these units, and any feedback or experiences they might want to share.  I found it easy to set up and use, although the battery ran down pretty quickly.  Being able to start and stop bleeding without interfering with the scenario is a nice feature, And in one scenario it provided the opportunity to drive home the importance of rechecking interventions.  The RCMP medic applied a tourniquet to the injury site before dragging the patient to better cover.  I was able to restart the bleeding at the injury site without saying anything, for them to find on reassessment.

As far as the training itself went, the Ottawa medics absolutely loved it were blown away by the training .  Especially the MILSIM.  They thought it was awesome to be able to train in the training lanes at 2 Fd Amb and learn from the cadre of military instructors who were ran the training and provided feedback. 

Back