• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Here’s a weird one: Purple trades, do you have to wear your element?

Eye In The Sky said:
Is the belief in the RCN, then, that the 'new' navy operational dress will be that much more of an identifier to folks who thing 'anyone in green is army'?  Maybe it's me, but the only really noticeable difference in this pic is the ball hat that says "NAVY" on it...of course, most people who wear a Navy DEU won't wear it, they'll be in the ship's ball hat or whatever their shore unit is, no?

https://www.facebook.com/CRCN.CMRC/photos/a.1804757869775444/1927599200824643/?type=3&theater

My NCD's are somewhere in my storage area only to be pulled out when I am actually going to go to sea. Since I'm now working on an RCAF led project in the NCR the chances of anyone seeing me in NCD's are slim and none.

Eye In The Sky said:
Ref "NCDs for people posted to HMCSs";  why do the AirDet technicians wear arid CADPAT?  Why do cooks wear whites and not NCDs?  This is where the 'logic' of the whole NCDs get lost of me.  When we take techs or PAX, and/or riders (I've had some missions with NWOs along as riders), they don't wear flight suits.

:dunno:

Air dets bewilder me.  They are supposed to be issued NCDs but for some reason they don't have to wear them, not sure who sets this standard but it sounds to be like cox'ns are being trumped somewhere.  The arid cadpat thing is simply LCF.  Nothing more nothing less.  Are your PAX issued flight suits?  We have sailed with PAX/riders in CADPAT.  Not a huge deal, they PAX/riders not crew, short timers.

Cooks whites are cheaper than NCDs which they would burn through.  Cooks also get NCDs and are to wear them when not on duty in the galley.

Halifax Tar said:
Air dets bewilder me.  They are supposed to be issued NCDs but for some reason they don't have to wear them, not sure who sets this standard but it sounds to be like cox'ns are being trumped somewhere.  The arid cadpat thing is simply LCF.  Nothing more nothing less.  Are your PAX issued flight suits?  We have sailed with PAX/riders in CADPAT.  Not a huge deal, they PAX/riders not crew, short timers.

Cooks whites are cheaper than NCDs which they would burn through.  Cooks also get NCDs and are to wear them when not on duty in the galley.

From CAF pics, the current VDQ aircrew looks like they're wearing either the AR flight suit or the OTW shirts (the half-zip, first issued in Afg), and the techs look like they're wearing a different cut of CADPAT than the standard (ranks on the shoulders are the first thing I noticed).  It's probably a fire-resistant version. 

The techs do get issued some sort of CADPAT "2 piece coverall" (not sure what the actual name is).  They're the ones that have the legs that zip off at the knees, etc.

I'd hazard a guess that 1 Cdn Air Div wants tech's in AF approved anti-static, anti-"other stuff" kit for working on aircraft?  I'm not a Airworthiness guru, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the Technical or Operational AW "stuff".  :dunno:

Halifax Tar said:
Cooks whites are cheaper than NCDs which they would burn through.

???

I always figured NCDs were more FR than cooks’ whites...

;D

Eye In The Sky said:
The techs do get issued some sort of CADPAT "2 piece coverall" (not sure what the actual name is).  They're the ones that have the legs that zip off at the knees, etc.

I'd hazard a guess that 1 Cdn Air Div wants tech's in AF approved anti-static, anti-"other stuff" kit for working on aircraft?  :dunno:

The techs used to wear the old blue flight suits/coveralls. 

Halifax Tar said:
lol well played.

Good thing I didn’t shamelessness plug my naval hero CPO Casey Rybek...who often did his best work in cooks’ whites...

Attachments

• F7048B03-074B-43B3-98AD-C596B511CD02.jpeg
    F7048B03-074B-43B3-98AD-C596B511CD02.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 231
Dimsum said:
The techs used to wear the old blue flight suits/coveralls.

Admittedly, it has been awhile since I sailed, however:

The reason the air det didn't wear NCDs was strictly to make the Navy angry... ;)

Actually, the reasons were (are?):

NCDs had buttons everywhere. That is a FOD hazard. They are hot. The hangar is not air conditioned (thanks, Navy). They soak up grease. They are not (were not?) anti-static, IAW with airworthiness requirements.

Good2Golf said:
Good thing I didn’t shamelessness plug my naval hero CPO Casey Rybek...who often did his best work in cooks’ whites...

I have to agree;  that was a great documentary.

Dimsum said:
From CAF pics, the current VDQ aircrew looks like they're wearing either the AR flight suit or the OTW shirts (the half-zip, first issued in Afg), and the techs look like they're wearing a different cut of CADPAT than the standard (ranks on the shoulders are the first thing I noticed).  It's probably a fire-resistant version.

They could be faded OD flight suits.  3 of my 4 are in a sad state of decoloration (ie: almost tan) and there are none in supply.

They are in arid's on the VDQ Det.  Hmmm...looks like the RCAF Commander has a nice, new style flight suit on.  How odd!  ;)  I thought there wasn't any in the system.  :whistle:

https://www.facebook.com/RCAF.ARC/photos/pcb.10155745199136237/10155745182926237/?type=3&theater

SupersonicMax said:
They could be faded OD flight suits.  3 of my 4 are in a sad state of decoloration (ie: almost tan) and there are none in supply.

Nah, it's the same pic that EITS has posted under yours.  Definitely new Arid stuff, and 2-piece (looks very similar to the CADPAT cut except the rank position).

Back to the original question, the chain of command should be sensible enough to have personnel wearing whatever is appropriate to the occasion.  When I'm crawling around ships, I wear NCDs.  When I'm in the field (including weapons qualifications), I wear CADPAT and when I'm working in an air-conditioned office, I wear service dress.  It really shouldn't be that complicated.

I am an Army guy in a land-centric Joint unit. RCN folks tend to wear NCDs to the office and CADPAT to the range/field. RCAF aircrew folks tend to wear flight suits to the office and CADPAT to the range/field. Seems to work.

I spent roughly six weeks sailing in CHA and HAL for a recent NATO exercise as a member of the embarked Fleet Staff. In preparation I did NETP and was accordingly issued NCDs. Without being told to do so, I wore NCDs while afloat for the exercise. I was not transiting, I was part of the staff with a duty station. I figured I would apply the same rule as the RCN folks at my unit. NCDs were practical/safe for the environment, and I found them comfortable (the fleece jacket liner - marvelous!). I was actually a little proud of my NCDs. Isn't that weird for an army guy? I will turn them in when I leave my unit, but I'd happily wear them again.

My Army CADPAT slip-ons caused some eye-brow raising/occasionally hilarious saluting confusion ashore in Halifax, but it worked as operational dress. It might be helpful if the dress regs were amended to allow Army folks to wear gold army rank insignia with NCDs. Lets face it, if a sniper had been floating around HAL I would have been the target with the least operational impact on the ship. 

Anyhoo, when in Rome, do as the Romans. 

Back