• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hero pix (merged)

RubberTree

Reaction score
We all know what they are for, the photographer knows what they are for...its potentially an important part of the press should the unthinkable happen.
Why are pictures being released with soldiers lacking nametapes and shoulder flags? You'd think somebody would pick up on this and correct the situation prior to the photo being taken.

Just a thought...

RubberTree said:
Why are pictures being released with soldiers lacking nametapes and shoulder flags? You'd think somebody would pick up on this and correct the situation prior to the photo being taken.

Perhaps they hadn't been received when the photos were taken. My orderly room ordered ours well in advance, so we had them in good time. I was wearing my "Loachman" nametape in my dead guy photo though. It has to be enlarged considerably to be able to read it.

At least they're all wearing berets and badges now, there were some tours where that wasn't the case.

Understood.
Perhaps a spare flag and blank nametape wouldn't go amiss. Although I suppose the general public probably doesn't notice the empty velcro.

I don't understand it either - when the husband had his done he was asked to remove his name tape.  And he had his picture taken like 3-4 different times, same thing each time.  So I've got 3 (the spares) dead guy photos of my husband in the house.  Somewhere - I refuse to look at them.

Loachman said:
Perhaps they hadn't been received when the photos were taken.

Here's the winning answer!

The supply system takes some time in getting them, not to their fault though. The photos are taken early and most troops don't have the tags in time.

Regards

I'm curious about the "Hero shots" that units have us do.

1.Are we actually obliged to have a "hero shot" on file? (and if so, what is the reference?)

2. If the family objects to having a photo of you released (for any reason) are their wishes going to be taken into account? How do they make their objections known in advance?

This is actually an issue in my household, my wife absolutely refuses to sanction the idea of having my photo released should something happen to me (and truthfully, I'm not very keen on the idea either; if I'm gone I don't want to be memorialized that way). Asking around at the unit has provided no satisfactory answer, evidently know one knows or even knows where to look.

Hmmm.  I dunno, it has just always been 'required as part of the DAG'; never gave it much thought, just one of the things I have to do.

I horrified the Tech taking mine in 08 when instead of saying "cheese" I smiled and said "I'm dead".

jollyjacktar said:
I horrified the Tech taking mine in 08 when instead of saying "cheese" I smiled and said "I'm dead".

Maybe I'm just a horrible person, but I laughed out loud at that.

jollyjacktar said:

Gives meaning to the term "Tombstone Picture". 

Dimsum said:
Maybe I'm just a horrible person, but I laughed out loud at that.

So did I when she snapped the photo looking all aghast.  I have a warped sense of humor, not offended at you having a laugh one bit.  :cheers:

After 22 years of service - I had my first one taken this year.  Deployed plenty of times without one.

Back to the OP.
I think I recall something about this years ago, and i think the answer is that if you die as an agent of Canada (eg on Op Provision or whatever) then that photo is public record and may be released by the government irrespective of the individual's wishes.  I seem to remember it this way.

I've always wondered how members got a more "operational" picture released vice the formal head shot. Was it a lack of formal picture or members wish?

All I know is 3 deployments and never had my pic taken for anything other than my passport.

MM

Ok, here is my 2 cents worth.  I never had one taken when I deployed to Bosnia however on both of my deployments to Afghanistan we had to have them taken.  Someone asked about "what if I didn't want one" and they were told it was a requirement (essentially an order and since it's not unlawful there was no point in arguing).  That same guy noted on the info sheet that went with it that he didn't want it released in the event of his untimely demise.  He was called into the OR a few days later (where I was working so I was privy to the conversation, and was told that the CAF would provide his photo to the news media at the appropriate time regardless of what was written on his form and essentially "he belongs to the military until such time as his remains are repatriated and turned over to his family". 

Now, people could challenge that but I know that last part is essentially correct.  We've had family try to insist there be no autopsy or that things be done a certain way but if the remains had not been passed to the family it's up to the CAF to decide in consultation with other official bodies.  Everyone gets a reception ceremony at Trenton regardless of what the family wants but the CAF will abide by their wishes to have it broadcast or not. 

Some times, like these hero shots, are just because that's the way its done. 

Back