• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hi, I need some help from the army officers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blee90

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Brian and I am currently in a 2nd year university at simon fraser majoring in political science.
I recently have thought about and currently is researching about the intelligence officer position in the Canadian Army because I ultimately want to go to the CSIS and working as a intelligence officer in the army would be a great stepping stone for that goal! I saw in the recuriting website that I can apply straight to officer once I have my bachelor degree at a recognized university and I just have a couple of questions..

1. What do I actually do as an intelligence officer in the army?
2. How long does it take to get training to become a regular intelligence officer?
3. I saw the pay was only 13k during the first 4 years of the officer.... Is this only during training?
4. how long does it take for me to become 2nd Lt. of the intelligence officer from just being an officer?
5. Is rank advancement in the army lengthy and hard to become?
6. Does my university GPA affect my application chances?

Thank you very much in advance!
cheers,  :salute:

Brian...I will make a few comments...and then suggest you visit the CFRC and explore your options in greater detail.  Because you are in university you are eligble to apply for the Regular Officer Training Plan(ROTP)...or if you wait  until graduation you can apply as a Direct Entry Officer (DEO).  Generally depending on course loading and training etc it can take you a couple of years before  you are fully trained and employable as a junior officer.  Pay rates are different according to different plans but it looks as if you were reading rates for ROTP under training...In general if you were to join as a DEO you are paid at a rate more in line with entry level university graduates...currently approx...$41K a year...That said it just isn't as simple as reading that table and it isn't the only dimension to the decision you are trying to make.  The line on the table you were reading relates to an ROTP cadet whose tuition and expenses are paid and at the same time they are paid what is more in line with a "living alowance" while attending school...not on graduation.  In general after three years as a classification trained officer you would be a captain and the range for that rank starts at around $70K and goes up from there according to how you perform, develop and get promoted from there.  You note your desire to join CSIS...On that I would say two things...First the CF develops and trains officers to lead in the Canadian Forces and generally we are looking for a level of commitment to a chosen profession that puts service before self and has a unique lifestyle and series of commitments (and benefits) that accompany that commitment to serve...not as a training vehicle for other departments or professions.  That also said, you probably need to look a bit more into what application to CSIS involves as well before chosing one path over another.  Look at www.forces.ca and go to the CFRC in Vancouver.  Good Luck

Chanada said:
Brian...I will make a few comments...and then suggest you visit the CFRC and explore your options in greater detail.  Because you are in university you are eligble to apply for the Regular Officer Training Plan(ROTP)...or if you wait  until graduation you can apply as a Direct Entry Officer (DEO).

Or he could go RESO as a reservist, complete BMOQ and CAP in an officer MOC, and CT/OT to reg force. It'd get his feet wet with less commitment, and he might find that he prefers another officer MOC anyway.

He's pushing it for ROTP for remaining time in his degree already, isn't he?

At any rate, CFRC's the place to go to discuss your options.

Brasidas said:
At any rate, CFRC's the place to go to discuss your options.

Exactly.

Other questions have already been answered in the Recruiting forums and can be turned up with a search.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back