• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread

Hey, wasn't Mark Bossi a memeber of the boards here for a while?

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Hey, wasn't Mark Bossi a memeber of the boards here for a while?

Still is by the looks of it, eventhough his account has been dormant for some time.

Veteran from Gaspe behind idea to rename Quebec highway to remember war dead
Peter Rakobowchuk, THE CANADIAN PRESS
05 November 2007

MONTREAL - Part of a busy Quebec highway that provides a major link with Ontario is being renamed in honour of Canada's war dead, thanks to an 86-year-old veteran from Quebec's Gaspe region.

A 50-kilometre section of Highway 20, which runs from the edge of downtown Montreal to the Ontario-Quebec boundary will now become known as Autoroute du Souvenir, or Remembrance Highway.

The idea came from Ivan Robertson, a navy veteran from the Second World War and a committee of the Quebec Command of the Royal Canadian Legion worked out the details.

Premier Jean Charest travelled to a Legion hall in the suburb of Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue on Tuesday to make it official.

He unveiled a green highway panel that features the words: Autoroute du Souvenir and a big red poppy.

The stretch of highway has special significance because it travels past a veterans hospital and a military cemetery.

"We want to do a very special gesture and do something very significant, symbolically for the men and women who defend our freedoms," Charest told a hall full of aging veterans.

"It would be easy for us to forget unless we, as a society, commit to remembering and it's a commitment we're making today to never let the sacrifice of those who gave their lives be forgotten," Charest said.

Jean-Robert Pepin, a veteran and Legion spokesman, said a Quebec government commission picked the section of the highway that was renamed.

"It was one part of the Trans-Canada Highway which wasn't named already," he said.

"And it's the entrance from the United States and from Ontario for travellers going into Quebec."

In August, a section of Ontario's Highway 401 between Trenton and Toronto, often used to repatriate fallen Canadian soldiers, was renamed the Highway of Heroes.

The four highway signs with the name change will be in French only, but Pepin added that veterans aren't upset.

"The government deals with taxpayers and citizens in French and we thought the word 'Souvenir' would have as much meaning in English as in French," he said.

One Second World War veteran agreed with his colleague.

"This is the province of Quebec," he said. "I'd like to see it in English also, but it would probably take up too much room."

"But it doesn't bother me, the poppy is the main thing-that's the important part - the poppy."

Pepin said the main highway in Prince Edward Island is called the Veterans Memorial Highway and other parts of the Trans-Canada Highway throughout Canada also have sections honouring veterans.

Heh... for the minority Prov Liberals to have pushed this thru the legislative assy (PQ & ADQ in opposition) is somewhat Amaazing...

Looks like everyone loves soldiers :warstory: 8) :warstory:

Outstanding!
........And I'm with you Geo.....Remarkable.

What a pleasant surprise.

Families touched by support of the public on the overpasses along the Highway of Heroes.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071208/soldiers_funeral_071208/20071208?hub=Canada

ST. HYACINTHE, Que -- Public support shown along the Highway of Heroes in eastern Ontario instilled pride in a family grappling with a wrenching loss, the brother of slain Canadian soldier Cpl. Nicolas Beauchamp said Saturday.

David Beauchamp said the families of both soldiers were touched by the support of onlookers who filled overpasses along Highway 401 after the repatriation ceremony at CFB Trenton.
He said it was "magical'' watching hundreds of people wave Canadian and Quebec flags on every overpass, as the hearses carrying the soldiers' bodies passed below.

I finally see this thread long after the highway has abeen renamed and the signs up.  I saw the signs {with somesort of dust in my eye} when I came home for leave.  If I may be so bold as to say that that highway starts on the ramp in KAF and ends in TO, could be the longest road in the world.  I am proud to have been part of that highway here in this little part of the world. {some sandstorm we're having here, the sand just gets in your eyes!!!}

:salute: to all that came before me..  {can't post the beer one}
  :salute: and here's to no more repat ceremonies...{dang sand!}

A picture essay of the Highway:

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/02/longest-drive.html

I agree.  Let's officially designate the highway.  Below is my poem dedicated to the heroes  (especially Corporal Albert Storm - my cousin's cousin)

Highway of Heroes

I passed you on the highway.
I went north, and you were heading south.
What a surprise to see you
After all these years.
We only kept up through word of mouth.

Where you are going?
I would like to know.
I recall we used to play as kids
We laughed and enjoyed the world so.

Last time we met was the summer of 68.
We played with our toy cars in the sand.
The old tire swing, that big black dog,
Nanny baking and putting pineapple on the ham.

Where are you going?
I would really like to know,
As I go north and you go south
I travel through the wind, and dust and snow.

They stationed you in a foreign land
To serve folks in lands far away.
We hoped you would return to laugh with us,
But we never saw that day.

We passed on the highway of heroes.
I went north and you were headed south.
What a blessing to have known you.
I thank you and a smile crosses my mouth.

Where are you going?
Now the answer I see
If I was an angel from up above
I would also want the heroes to sit next to me.

by Jennifer Grander

3rd Herd said:
The Usual Disclaimer:

Let's officially designate 'Highway of Heroes'

By Pete Fisher
Local News - Thursday, July 19, 2007 @ 09:00

What began quietly, spontaneously in Northumberland County has now extended along the 172 kilometres, or 107 miles, of Highway 401 travelled by repatriated Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan. People standing on bridges has become a powerful expression of support by fellow Canadians for the troops and their families.

We all pray there will be no need to come together again on a bridge to honour our fallen but, with the war in Afghanistan continuing, it's naive to think there won't be more casualties.

Starting from the first procession for Sgt. Marc D. Leger, Cpl. Ainsworth Dyer, Pte. Richard Green, and Pte. Nathan Smith, who were killed in April, 2002, people have stood on bridges in Northumberland County.

I remember in 2002 there were approximately 30 people, including two police officers, saluting on the Cranberry Road overpass in Port Hope as four hearses passed underneath. People had been watching the live coverage of the repatriation service at CFB Trenton on television and saw the hearses leave the base. Wanting to show their support, they spontaneously went to the bridge to await the procession.

Once a funeral procession leaves CFB Trenton, it heads west along Highway 401 to Toronto, then goes south on the Don Valley Parkway, ending at the Centre for Forensic Sciences on Grenville Street.

To date, 66 fallen heroes have made the journey.

Since then, on various bridges along the Highway 401 route, there have been people on bridges, sometimes less and, of late, more - many more.

Every person who stands on a bridge will tell you it's a feeling like no other. As you wait, you talk with people who have been there before, who you've come to know. People smile, share feelings, talk about how many times they've stood on various bridges. It's a mix of pride and sadness.

When the convoy of vehicles is seen approaching, murmurs in the crowd can be heard: "Here they come." There's silence as people get ready. Then, there's a sudden sea of arms waving Canadian flags, wanting to let family members in the procession know we are there for them, that we share their pain and are proud to be Canadian.

It's not unusual to see a soldier's hand waving a beret from a hearse, or a family member waving from a limousine, to acknowledge the people on the bridge. Those waves are simple gestures, but more than enough for everyone on a bridge to know in that split second that everyone has made a connection to the people in those vehicles. Five years after the first procession went through Northumberland County, hundreds of people - farmers, business people, firefighters, paramedics, police officers, Legion members,kids - pay tribute to the husbands, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters who have given their lives for their country.

People have lined bridges on cold winter evenings, rainy nights and evenings when the sun is setting. People have stood for hours waiting on the bridges with their flags, with their homemade signs, some with red Support The Troops shirts. Everyone by now knows someone, or someone with a relation, who has been or is in Afghanistan.

Canadians are not trying to conquer a country. They are trying to help the people of Afghanistan. Talking to soldiers, they say we are there for the right reasons. Soldiers give first-hand accounts of the good Canada is doing.

And, out of tragic times come good things.

In the June 25, 2007 Toronto Sun, columnist Joe Warmington described people standing on Highway 401 bridges from Trenton to Toronto as a "Highway of Heroes" phenomena. Since then, the title has taken on a life of its own.

On July 10, I received an e-mail from Cramahe Township firefighter Ken Awender. Like so many, he said how beautiful it is that scores of people come out to pay tribute. Then he said something that was so simple, I wondered why it hadn't been thought of before.

He suggested a petition should be started to rename the stretch of Highway 401 from Trenton to Toronto as "The Highway of Heroes."

He's right.

The section of highway is 172 kilometres/107 miles long. Already unofficially known as the Highway of Heroes, it's time we find a way to make it official.

It would be a fitting tribute to all the people who stand on the bridges, for all the families who have lost loved ones.

Most of all, it will honour our soldiers who die so others can live a better life.

fighter Ken Awender. He said, like so many, how beautiful it is that scores of people come out to pay tribute. Then he said something that was so simple, I wondered why it hadn't been thought of before. He suggested a petition should be started to rename the stretch of Highway 401 from Trenton to Toronto as "The Highway of Heroes."

He's right.

The section of highway is 172 kilometres/107 miles long. Already unofficially known as the Highway of Heroes, it's time we find a way to make it official.

It would be a fitting tribute to all the people who stand on the bridges, for all the families who have lost loved ones.

Most of all, it will honour our soldiers who die so others can live a better life.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=618551&catname=Local%20News&classif=

Ontario's County Road 43, running from Alexandria in the east to Kemptville in the west, will soon be designated Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders Commemorative Highway.  Quite fitting as this road spans the full width of United Counties of SD&G.

:salute:

Highlights mine - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

CAV wants stretch of Hwy. 2 renamed to Repatriation Row
Michelle McCarthy, The Trentonian, 11 Jul 08
Article link

Canadian Army Veteran members have attended every repatriation ceremony held at CFB Trenton and can be seen during the ceremonies at the side of the road holding a sign to pay their respects.

“We as CAV members stand at Repatriation Row to show the families that we care about their loss and that these men and womens' sacrifices will not go unnoticed,” said CAV member and retired veteran Chris Graham.

CAV members have begun efforts to have a small 500 metre stretch along Highway 2 renamed Repatriation Row.

“We have some people that are trying to get in contact with the powers in the military to see if they can support this initiative,” said Graham.

Graham is a cook and said these ceremonies are so important that if previous employers wouldn’t give him the day to attend the repatriations, he would think nothing of walking off the job.

“I am a retired veteran and I’m a cook and as a cook we support everybody. It doesn’t matter what uniform you wear whether it be army or air force,” said Graham.

“This is about supporting the men and women that leave their homes and families and go to far off lands. Some of them give the ultimate sacrifice.”

Another member of the CAV, Bill Truman, said they are also trying to have a large marble plaque erected in honor of the ceremonies.

The plaque reads “Repatriation Row. We will never forget your ultimate sacrifice. Stand down soldier, you are now homeward bound.”

“The idea is to dedicate that patch of road where everyone stands to pay respect,” said Truman. “The plaque is worded much the same as the signs we hold up. We want to try and put it inside the fence so there is no vandalism.”

Quinte West Mayor John Williams said there are mixed feelings about repatriation signs at the base.

“As much as we want to recognize and pay our respects, its a reminder to military personnel of what goes on there and they may not necessarily want to see that reminder every day,” said Williams.

Graham believes that remembering is exactly what’s needed.

“By getting this stone piece put into place on Repatriation Row this will remind us that not only is November 11 the time to remember our fallen but we should remember them every day,” said Graham.

Both members of the CAV are unsure if their efforts to have the stretch of road renamed will be well received at CFB. Graham added however they have not attempted to speak to 8 Wing Base Commander about the renaming of the stretch of road or about erecting the sign.

Williams added although he understands the idea, ultimately the city will stand behind whatever the base chooses to do in regards to the renaming and placement of the sign.

Article ID# 1110589

I'm not sure what to think of it either. My petition with 62,000 signatures helped to dub the "Highway of Heroes" and personally I'm not against renaming part of Hwy 2. I know there should be no problem with the MTO if Hwy 2 isn't named after anyone and if people support the idea. To me though the name "Highway of Heroes" already does the job of letting the families know all who line up along the highway care about them and all that pass the sacrifices of the fallen and living are noticed so I don't see a great need for naming another road near it but if people are behind it then go for it. I'd like to see something physical with each name of our fallen on Canadian soil as I know of the monument at KAF but are the suggesting putting the plaque on the grounds of CFB Trenton or off base grounds?

I think that this is going just a bit too far.
The Highway of Heroes - does it all - we do need anything more.

Repatriation row - what the H___ is that supposed to mean.
should it be Repatriation road ???

I think that although it is well intentioned, it is superfluous & would detract from the original effort.

I don't think you can do better than Highway of Heroes - that was a fantastic gesture, i don't think another is needed..

geo said:
I think that this is going just a bit too far.
The Highway of Heroes - does it all - we do need anything more.

Repatriation row - what the H___ is that supposed to mean.
should it be Repatriation road ???

I think that although it is well intentioned, it is superfluous & would detract from the original effort.
geo,
There is a stretch of fenceline on Hwy 2 where you can see onto the ramp area where Supporters line-up to view the Ramp Ceremony.
I'm one for Repatriation Row too, but as said before..how far is too far?? 
I don't think we can DO enough for these families in their time of sorrow.  We need to show solidarity as ONE FORCE.
:cdn:

There is a stretch of fenceline on Hwy 2 where you can see onto the ramp area

.... Peanut gallery ???

Each overpass over the Highway of Heroes is lined by tons ot people on repatriation day......

I see no value added to creating another special designated area. 

Back