• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

History of the EME

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
The Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers came into being officially on 15 May 1944, with the fusion of various elements from the Royal Canadian Engineers, Royal Canadian Army Service Corps and Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps, in conforming to the previously made model of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.

With the increase of mechanised equipment during World War II, the need to have one corps dedicated to service and maintenance thereof was becoming increasingly apparent. Trucks were used to move supplies and fresh troops and had become the de facto means of transportation and logistic support, armoured vehicles had replaced cavalry, weapons were becoming more complicated, as well as the advent of radios and radar, it was apparent that the previous model of having a different corps for each job was inadequate for a modern, mechanised army.

continued at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_and_Mechanical_Engineering_Branch

Just thought I would share my findings.

Cheers,

Patrick

Well done Patrick. Never even occured to me to wiki the corp branch. Not too bad. I don't see any immediate holes, except for the lack of mentioning that Murray was our Colonel Commandant for umpteen years till '04. Good man. Did a tremendous amount for all EME types. Always came to see us when we were some place other than home.

And on a personal note, he promoted me to Cpl at Regimental Coy while I was on my QL5's.

Arte et Marte

There was some debate as to what the Regimantal March should be, and several tunes, including Hi Ho, Hi Ho! from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were proposed, but the final tune chosen was a medley of Lillibullero and Auprès de ma Blonde, just as REME had chosen.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work we go! With a bottle of beer and kick in the rear, hi ho! hi ho hi ho hi ho!  ;D

Wookilar said:
Well done Patrick. Never even occured to me to wiki the corp branch. Not too bad. I don't see any immediate holes, except for the lack of mentioning that Murray was our Colonel Commandant for umpteen years till '04. Good man. Did a tremendous amount for all EME types. Always came to see us when we were some place other than home.

And on a personal note, he promoted me to Cpl at Regimental Coy while I was on my QL5's.

Arte et Marte

WOW, HCol Murray was in the position till '04. I got out of EME in '99 and he was a driving force for the Esprit de Corps in EME at my unit for a few years. That man did ALOT for the corp's overall. Overall the top Honorary Col. I ever met for any trade/unit!

/salute

Back