• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Athabaskan

Are these offers are race to the rusty bottom? I can not stop asking in my late cynicism for these old gals.

alexj.forum said:
What is Athabaskan's type of Refit. Is it like the TRUMP done in the 90's ?

Nothing quite that major....nor willl the 280s have anything that major again.

HMCS Athabaskan...
Where is the shore office for that ship located?

I think the OP means the Shore Office as she is in (or going into) a DWP in Port Weller. Someone on here from Halifax can probably answer. I would be guessing (and probably badly at that!) but D125 rings a bell from my foggy memory.

I was posted to Halifax and have no clue as to where to go to get to my ship's shore office. Like should I go to the Halifax Naval base and just ask a commissionaire or is it outside Halifax?

I got most of that info from an archived Chronicle Herald article!!

Go to the Main Gate (Dockyard) and ask where Athabee's Shore Office is - Commissionaires will know.
If still unsure, PM me, I know their EO (ex PO2 stoker, ex submariner)

NOTE: Athabaskan is still in Halifax Harbour.

Next to D20, right across from admirals gate.

If the ship is there, I might as well go report at the ship on thursday instead of the office or I don't know if it matters?
Thanks guys for the responses.

sirux0r said:
If the ship is there, I might as well go report at the ship on thursday instead of the office or I don't know if it matters?
Thanks guys for the responses.

They won't be there Thursday, so you had best go to the shore office.

Hello,

I have read in a local media report here in Ontario that HMCS Athabaskan is in need of an urgent tow out of Lake Ontario and back to Halifax before the canal freezes over. I am curious as to why she cant proceed under her own power. The article didn't state why the tow was required.

I am not sure if I am able to re post the article here.

Mod edit to remove link in accordance with site policy.

I would not necessarily read too much into this.

It can be anything from: the refit is done but we don't have a crew to rapidly put together and go get her, or we don't want to hire a civilian crew just to drive her back to  Halifax,or  all the way to something went wrong in the refit and it wont be completed on time so lets get her out of the lakes before freeze up and finish her off in Halifax.

Thanks for moving this and for the reply. Happy to see a refit has been completed and she is heading back to Halifax. Maybe I will see her pass by my house on her transit.

Seeing as the engines haven't been turned on since March, this seems like a good plan B to get the ship back to Halifax before the canal and seaway closes for the winter, the old adage of 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' would apply.

This is probably a lot less awkard then not having anything in place in case of, and then scrambling come 1 Dec if things go pear shaped.

Odds are good you'll get to watch her sail by on her own steam, looking much nicer after the fresh coats of paint!

This news report by the Chronicle Herald:

HMCS Athabaskan needs a tow
November 19, 2012 - 4:10am By THE CHRONICLE HERALD

Ottawa is looking for someone to give one of its destroyers a tow.

Last spring, the HMCS Athabaskan headed to St. Catharines, Ont., for a refit, but she’s coming home, apparently before the work is finished.

The federal government’s public tendering website,

MERX.com, is advertising for someone to tow the ship back home to HMC Dockyard in Halifax. In February, Ottawa announced the $21.7-million refit had been awarded to Seaway Marine and Industrial Inc., which had from April to November to get the job done.

The Iroquois class vessel was commissioned in 1972.The refit is part of the ship’s regular five-year maintenance cycle.

The successful bidder will have from Dec. 1 until the St. Lawrence Seaway closes for the season to bring the Athasbaskan home.

Back