• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS CHARLOTTETOWN deploying to join CBG off Libya

Can anyone confirm if she is still at sea? A buddys wife told him that she saw it come back alongside yesterday evening.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1231137.html

HMCS Charlottetown made a surprise return to Halifax Wednesday, hours after slipping its lines from a jetty to an emotional farewell from family and friends.

Mike Bonin, a navy public affairs official, confirmed Charlottetown was back in the Bedford Basin on Wednesday evening. Shortly before 10 p.m., the frigate was again steaming its way toward Libya.

The turnaround was necessary because the ship had to be "degaussed," a process that demagnetizes the vessel, in a special spot in the basin. Bonin said some technicians came aboard for the procedure but none of the crew left the ship.

The ship made it to the mouth of the harbour before turning back, Bonin said in an interview early Wednesday evening.

"It’s conducting a series of technical trials before it can go to sea. It’s nothing out of the ordinary, nothing abnormal."

Bonin couldn’t say why the demagnetizing hadn’t occurred before the ship left.

"Maybe it had something to do with the amount of rapid reaction it had to (undergo)," he said, referring to the small amount of time the ship had to prepare for its mission to Libya.

"Perhaps there wasn’t time to do it before it left."

Bonin said it was possible another vessel was inside the degaussing range and Charlottetown had to wait, but he couldn’t confirm if that was the case.

"It may have been something that was predetermined hours ago," he said. "They’ll stay there until the ship’s captain is ready to leave. He’ll make sure the ship is safe to sail."

Bonin didn’t know if the sailors onboard had prior knowledge of their return or if their loved ones had heard about it.

When the vessel left Wednesday morning, its crew waved goodbye to family and friends, with choruses of "I love you" yelled into the frigid air.

It was the start of a mission that is short on details, but was already full of praise.

Moments before its departure, members of the 240-member crew stood solemnly or embraced family, as Vice-Admiral Dean McFadden, the chief of maritime staff, expressed his gratitude for their quick response.

Most crewmembers had less than two days’ notice that they would be heading to the coastal waters off Libya, where a bloody crackdown has resulted in perhaps 1,000 deaths and an exodus of more than 140,000 into neighbouring countries.

"You are reacting to what is a burgeoning humanitarian crisis in Libya," McFadden said over a loudspeaker. "To Canada’s need for awareness and presence in that region, and to the aid and, as necessary, the evacuation of Canadians and others as need requires."

And that’s what was keeping Leading Seaman Bernice Murphy of Halifax going, despite not knowing when she’ll see her two-year-old grandson, Tristin, again.

"That’s why I signed on the dotted line," she said, as her boyfriend, Steve Critch, who’s retired from the navy, held Tristin in his arms.

"I wanted to serve my country, so this is what I’m doing."

The frigate is Canada’s only warship en route to the Mediterranean where an international flotilla of American and British ships is gathering as Moammar Gadhafi wages a vicious battle to hang onto power in the North African country.

It could take as many as 12 days for Charlottetown to reach its destination. No date has been given for its return, but officials said the mission could last as long as six months.

Canada already has a C-17 transport plane and two Hercules planes stationed in nearby Malta. Charlottetown is capable of delivering medical aid or other supplies, enforcing UN- or NATO-sanctioned embargoes or participating in other military action.

A Sea King helicopter and two flight crews are onboard, ready to do surveillance, deliver aid or carry out evacuations if needed.

Capt. Gerritt Siebring, a Sea King crew commander, said the combination of navy and air force personnel means more can be accomplished.

As the ship set sail, though, it wasn’t clear exactly what roles it would play.

"You can’t always have all the answers to every single question. It’s a very dynamic situation over there and we’ll have to adapt to what’s happening," said Cmdr. Craig Skjerpen, Charlottetown’s commanding officer.

Rear Admiral David Gardam, commander of Maritime Force Atlantic and Joint Task Force Atlantic, said the time it takes for Charlottetown to arrive in the Mediterranean will be put to good use.

"During that time, we have the opportunity to do the planning to prepare for whatever the mission may be," he said.

More on CHA tasking from Defence Minister's statement following a NATO DefMin's meeting in Belgium (highlights mine):
.... “Since the crisis began in Libya, Canada has been actively engaged in responding to requests for evacuation and for humanitarian assistance,” said Minister MacKay. “Canada has also emphasized the importance of NATO planning, so the Alliance can stand ready to respond to humanitarian crises as required.”

Minister MacKay informed Canada’s allies that Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Charlottetown is joining the NATO Operation ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR, patrolling the Mediterranean Sea in response to the crisis in Libya. The ships of NATO and other like-minded nations will be monitoring shipping and providing a maritime presence during this time of ongoing instability in North Africa.

“Canada is standing with our allies to monitor the current situation in North Africa and will keep working with our allies as the situation continues to develop,” said Minister MacKay. “The versatility of HMCS Charlottetown and her crew allows Canada to be ready at a moment’s notice to carry out humanitarian missions and whatever mandate the international community calls for.” ....

Aims of NATO's OP Active Endeavour, from the OP web page here:
.... Keeping seas safe and protecting shipping

(....)

Tracking and controlling suspect vessels

(....)

Unexpected benefits

(....)

Closer cooperation with partners ....

I wonder if they will send a ship to relieve 339 down the road. And turn this into some sort of rotation. Or will 339 just go there, wave the flag and then head home after its all over. Cause I think the unrest in the middle east is just warming up.

navypuke said:
Cause I think the unrest in the middle east is just warming up.

Warming up?  ???

We have been sending ships to the middle east for years, so it is probably a safe bet that there will be another one heading out after 339, it might not be right away, but it will happen.

navypuke said:
I wonder if they will send a ship to relieve 339 down the road. And turn this into some sort of rotation. Or will 339 just go there, wave the flag and then head home after its all over. Cause I think the unrest in the middle east is just warming up.

I would hope that someone with 10 years in the Navy would have a better grasp of whats going on then this post seems to indicate. Ouch!

Actually we don't send vessels out to the Gulf as much anymore because we like to dump all our money into Afghanistan. And because we decided to stick around for two more years thats caused the Navy to change many plans when it comes to the Middle East because CEFCOM doesn't have the money. Charlletown is only there because Libya decided to have a civil war.
And by the unrest in the Middle East I mean the recent stuff that started in Tunisia and spread outwards to Eygpt, Bahrain, kuwait, Libya and other countries.  I'm not talking about the normally suicide bomber in the sunday market Middle East thats seems to be the norm over there.

navypuke said:
Actually we don't send vessels out to the Gulf as much anymore because we like to dump all our money into Afghanistan. And because we decided to stick around for two more years thats caused the Navy to change many plans when it comes to the Middle East because CEFCOM doesn't have the money. Charlletown is only there because Libya decided to have a civil war.
And by the unrest in the Middle East I mean the recent stuff that started in Tunisia and spread outwards to Eygpt, Bahrain, kuwait, Libya and other countries.  I'm not talking about the normally suicide bomber in the sunday market Middle East thats seems to be the norm over there.

We don't? Check out OP ALTAIR and OP SAIPH.

Last ship on OP Saiph was the HMCS Fredricton and OP Altair hasn't had a ship deployed under its name in a long while. I don't even know it exists anymore other than on paper.

Current or upcoming deployments are not really a subject for discussion on the internet....

Some of us/ME might be affected by this in a rather personal way.  I'd rather you not discuss what my ship might be doing.

NS

NavyShooter said:
Current or upcoming deployments are not really a subject for discussion on the internet....

Some of us/ME might be affected by this in a rather personal way.  I'd rather you not discuss what my ship might be doing.

NS
Hear/Here!
The acronym STFU comes to mind.

Where in  my previous statement does it say anything about future deployments. It was discussing past rotos of Op Altair and Saiph...

navypuke said:
Last ship on OP Saiph was the HMCS Fredricton and OP Altair hasn't had a ship deployed under its name in a long while. I don't even know it exists anymore other than on paper.

Do you consider 2008 "in a long while"? I did OP ALTAIR that year, it doesn't feel a long while ago.

Back