• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Winnipeg's been hit by a fishing trawler

J

jollyjacktar

I've just heard that a fishing trawler has rammed into the side of WIN out west.  That boat doesn't have any luck.  She was gashed open when I was out there in 99 too.  Hope no one was injured. 

I wonder if I know the Dynasty's skipper.  Or perhaps her ex-skipper.

You know, as an Officer-of-the-Day (Duty Officer), you mentally prepare yourself for a variety of problems and emergencies, at least the good ones do.  But I can honestly say I never mentally prepared myself for another vessel to ram me while tied up alongside.  In the end the emergency is the same - a fire and/or flood, loss of power and casualties.  But boy oh boy, that had to be a really unexpected surprise.  I can't figure out how fast she was travelling to cause such reportedly large waves...

I am wondering if they had implemented appropriate Damage Control precautions - namely segmenting the ship into a more watertight configuration (Damage Control Condition "Yankee").  This confines potential flooding to a relatively small area of the ship. Assuming the Dynasty was going to the Vic shipyard on the other side of the harbour, it is entirely possible that procedure wasn't implemented, and nor would it have necessarily been a requirement.  I am willing to bet that policy changes...

“It’s [expletive] awful,” said one navy official, shaking his head as he looked at the disastrous scene in the harbour.

Citing the expensive refit the ship has just undergone, budget pressures and brewing political issues in Asia, where Canada’s warships may be needed, he said: “With all that’s going on, and now we have a fisherman stuck in our bow.”
This about sums up my feelings on the whole situation.  The CAF is at a point where any loss of equipment comes at a horrible time.  I'm just glad no one was seriously injured or killed.

I guess now we know that the Canadian Naval camouflage paint scheme (or lack thereof) is highly effective.  ;D

The comment about this being a "major setback" though got me thinking that everything is a matter of perspective.

On May 8th 42, the carrier USS Yorktown took a bomb through the flight deck during the Battle of the Corral Sea, killing or seriously injuring 66 and causing fires and much damage below decks. Original estimates were she'd be in dry dock three months. She steamed back to Pearl and arrived on the 27th were estimates said she would need two weeks of repairs to get her ready to join the fleet for what would become the Battle of Midway. Nimitz gave them 48 hours and on the 30th she was back out at sea with Task Force 17 and participated in the subsequent battle where eventually she succumbed after being hit, within a period of some 24 hours, by three bombs from three Vals (not to mention one of the Vals itself), by two torpedoes from Kates in a subsequent attack and, in a third attack, by two torpedoes from a submarine.

Like I said. Its all a matter of perspective.  :salute:

MARPAC just posted raw video of the collision taking place on its Facebook page. 

It would seem that Her Majesty's Ship was the better fisherman of the two. She caught a whole boat load of fish!

BZ to the emergency response teams...

Privateer said:
MARPAC just posted raw video of the collision taking place on its Facebook page.
Silly as it may sound, I tried to find the MARPAC page and couldn't...Tips?
Grimey are you still around?

Thanks...wow. The water over WIN's fo'cs'le seems to have come from the other vessel. It doesn't appear to be a wave.
I am sure things will come out in the wash (oops!).
It is amazing (and thankful) no one was hurt seeing as it was 0800 (or so I heard).  I see a new STS scenario in the works.

Pat in Halifax said:
Thanks...wow. The water over WIN's fo'cs'le seems to have come from the other vessel. It doesn't appear to be a wave.
I am sure things will come out in the wash (oops!).
It is amazing (and thankful) no one was hurt seeing as it was 0800 (or so I heard).  I see a new STS scenario in the works.

Actually, six were taken to hospital, according to some news reports.  All civilians, from what I can gather.

Hopefully nothing serious.

Pat in Halifax said:

Tanks full of water to store the fish? I'm not a sailor, just going on what I've seen of the crab boats in Deadliest Catch as an educated guess.  ;D

Pat in Halifax said:

I'm betting the wave came from the bulbous bow of the trawler as it came to an abrupt halt.  I can't see why there would be water tanks that far forward, where you'd likely have rope stores and a cable locker.

dapaterson said:
Actually, six were taken to hospital, according to some news reports.  All civilians, from what I can gather.

Hopefully nothing serious.

Sliders save lives

Shamrock said:
Sliders save lives

If Esquimalt is giving sliders at 8am (local) on a Tuesday...  that explains a lot about the West coast Navy...

Occam said:
I'm betting the wave came from the bulbous bow of the trawler as it came to an abrupt halt.  I can't see why there would be water tanks that far forward, where you'd likely have rope stores and a cable locker.

Fish tanks are back aft, oil tanks low, fish meal plant up forard.  IIRC.  Pretty dry bow.  She brings frozen roe and surimi to shore along with fishmeal and fish oil.  Pretty unlikely she'd have anything on board at all this trip.

I think Occam is more likely to be right.  Also, Dynasty is ice strengthened.

http://www.ulstein.com/Kunder/ulstein/cms66.nsf/pages/reflistd.htm?open&disp_key=E8B39B4EF5F7C4ADC12571BC003AAECD

Back