• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hockey Canada in the Government Crosshairs

Meanwhile the CAF be like:

Jurassic Park Wow GIF by Spotify

Honestly good move by the Government. National Sporting Bodies in this Country are for the most part, poorly run and massively nepotistic dumpster fires.

Government funding perpetuates this mediocrity which is why Canada generally punches below its weight in most sports.

So, I was unfamiliar with this til I saw it reported on today. To my initial understanding, Hockey Canada basically was directed to fully disclose a third party investigative report into an alleged gang rape at one of their events to a parliamentary committee. They declined to, were given further opportunity to comply, and continued to not do so. They have also declined to sign on to a federal oversight body, so now they’re losing a few million dollars in federal funding?

I mean… if that reasonably sums it up, I don’t really take issue with with funding being withheld. They want federal money, cool. It’s reasonable for some oversight and governance to come with that.

It has been said here but to reiterate every sport has its issues - look at gymnastics in the USA.

Indeed every organization has its predators - we all know that. Hockey is in the spotlight right now and next month it might be some other organization.

It has been said here but to reiterate every sport has its issues - look at gymnastics in the USA.

Indeed every organization has its predators - we all know that. Hockey is in the spotlight right now and next month it might be some other organization.
For sure. Goose/Gander. If other sports have significant enough poorly addresses conduct issues as to necessitate federal funding to be contingent on oversight, have at ‘er.

View attachment 71558

USAHockey has the SafeSport program that all volunteers, Coaches, Referees and sport bodies need to conduct training under and fallow reporting processes, In addition to State, and Federal laws.
There is a similar program with Hockey Canada (Respect in Sport) that all parents, players, volunteers, coaches, referees and officials need to take, and Hockey Canada also requires a background check.

There is a similar program with Hockey Canada (Respect in Sport) that all parents, players, volunteers, coaches, referees and officials need to take, and Hockey Canada also requires a background check.
Tools are but one factor. Culture, to use such tools or not, is another.

The CAF had OP HONOUR…

So, I was unfamiliar with this til I saw it reported on today. To my initial understanding, Hockey Canada basically was directed to fully disclose a third party investigative report into an alleged gang rape at one of their events to a parliamentary committee. They declined to, were given further opportunity to comply, and continued to not do so. They have also declined to sign on to a federal oversight body, so now they’re losing a few million dollars in federal funding?

I mean… if that reasonably sums it up, I don’t really take issue with with funding being withheld. They want federal money, cool. It’s reasonable for some oversight and governance to come with that.
Not to mention, when you look at who they retained to complete that investigative report, and infer the likely motives and contents, it's pretty likely that the release of the report would be a public relations bombshell of biblical proportions.

You don't retain Henein Hutchison to complete a well meaning investigation to get to the bottom of things and provide accountability, you do it to cover your organizational ass.

For sure. Goose/Gander. If other sports have significant enough poorly addresses conduct issues as to necessitate federal funding to be contingent on oversight, have at ‘er.

I know a few athletes who operated at the International/ Olympic level for years and they told me some pretty blood chilling stories.

My key takeaway: if you want success in athletics, you're going to have to be prepared to encounter alot of 'child abuse'.

Kind of like my old mob ;)

1656076967843.png

I know a few athletes who operated at the International/ Olympic level for years and they told me some pretty blood chilling stories.

My key takeaway: if you want success in athletics, you're going to have to be prepared to encounter alot of 'child abuse'.

Kind of like my old mob ;)

View attachment 71576
I’ve heard that too. I’m just reasonably sure rape is outside the tolerated arcs.

I’ve heard that too. I’m just reasonably sure rape is outside the tolerated arcs.

If it was the CAF, based on what I heard about some of the stuff that really goes on behind the scenes, Canada would be without an Armed Forces as they would disband it tomorrow.

People will tolerate some amazing things in the vanishingly small chance that a Canadian kid will medal at an Olympics.

Needless to say, I'm glad that my kids show no interest (or aptitude) for participating in elite sports ;)

More examples from those in sports other than hockey....

Lives ruined by abuse in sports made worse by fear of retaliation, athletes say​

'They can’t seek justice, they aren’t believed, they’re silenced in many cases,' says Olympic gold medallist

Since March 2022, more than 1,000 athletes, including gymnasts, have penned open letters detailing abuse and toxic environments — and asking for a third-party investigations. (Rebecca Blackwell/The Associated Press)

From as young as two years old, Amelia Cline loved gymnastics. But her experience with the sport changed for the worst when new coaches joined her gym.

"Unfortunately, for about the last three years of my career, I was in a gym where we had coaches who were quite verbally, psychologically and physically abusive," she told The Current.

Despite her successes, the abuse had become too much for the young Cline to handle — she was done with the sport by the age of 13.
"While I still continued to have success in the sport, the experience became very negative and quite harmful," she said.

Cline's story isn't unique in gymnastics — or in Canadian sports. Since March, more than 1,000 Canadian athletes have called for third-party independent investigations into athlete abuse in sports.

Personally I don't see a issue with cutting funds, especially if they aren’t willing to have a slight amount of accountability. If anything I would argue it isn’t their responsibility to fund them at all in the first place and it is a waste of my tax dollars. We have bigger fish to fry as a society (such as trying to reduce our national debt, or at a bare minimum get back to a balanced budget) than to worry about a bit of funding going towards a sport I really have no interest in whatsoever.

It can’t just be a program to check the box.
It’s got to have total buy in from all levels and people who aren’t afraid to call attention to abuse.

When I said there are predators in hockey I meant the human kind. I do worry about them.

Not the ones in Nashville.