• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hockey Canada in the Government Crosshairs

“The logic of their entrenchment is beyond reason … it’s just mind-blowing,” said Paloma Raggo, a professor at Carleton University’s School of Public Policy and Administration who teaches philanthropy and non-profit leadership.

“Are they willingly trying to sink this organization?”

And now the NHL has an issue. Ian Cole of the TB Lightning has been accused

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2016-12-12-at-12.39.16-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2016-12-12-at-12.39.16-PM.png
    575.3 KB · Views: 28
Trudeau... right now ;)

battle GIF
Ironic…

Breaking!

The entire Hockey Canada Board has resigned.

Though they may not have made the slush fund decisions, they are the ones now in charge and will be taking the sword to the back of the neck.

So now what?

Breaking!

Though they may not have made the slush fund decisions, they are the ones now in charge and will be taking the sword to the back of the neck.

So now what?
That's when grass roots hockey types take the game back.

Hockey Canada should be given the chance now to clean it up. First be above board and transparent. Secondly root out the predators in the organization, if there are any. DO NOT make it a witch hunt.

Other sports organizations need to look inwardly as well before pointing fingers. I was going to postulate that given the optics of this maybe the IIHF would "disinvite" World Championship male teams from competition, but I do not think this will happen.

Breaking!

So now what?

Yes, the 'now what' will be the hard part.

Culture eats strategy for breakfast, and that hockey culture is a hungry beast ;)

This from the Hockey Canada info-machine ...

"The Hockey Canada Board of Directors has announced important changes to Hockey Canada’s leadership team. Effective immediately, it announced the departure of chief executive officer Scott Smith. The entire Board has also agreed to step down to make room for a new slate of directors.

An interim management committee will be put in place, which will guide the organization until no later than a newly constituted Board appoints a new CEO to lead the organization.

Recognizing the urgent need for new leadership and perspectives, the entire Board of Directors announced it will step aside and pursuant to Hockey Canada’s By-Laws, the Board will ask its Members to select a new slate of directors by no later than the forthcoming virtual election scheduled for December 17, 2022. The Board will not seek re-election and will fulfil its fiduciary duties until such time as a new Board is elected.

Hockey Canada is seeking board candidates to shape the future of the organization. We encourage qualified individuals to respond to the call for nominations issued by the independent Nominating Committee last week.

The interim Management Committee will focus on day-to-day operations and ensure progress on the implementation of Hockey Canada’s Action Plan, including reviewing and working with the Board and Members towards the full implementation of the independent governance review recommendations from The Honourable Thomas Cromwell, C.C., former Supreme Court Justice as well as working to facilitate the effective transition to a new CEO and Board.

Hockey Canada will continue to provide public updates on these important changes as well as the continued work towards implementing its ongoing Action Plan."

Yes, the 'now what' will be the hard part.

Culture eats strategy for breakfast, and that hockey culture is a hungry beast ;)
Feels like what they need is what they won't get/select: a board that doesn't, as such, care about hockey, but will rather ruthlessly clean house on enablers, under-carpet sweepers, and the predatory themselves regardless of reputation, on-ice or behind-bench performance, etc.

Feels like what they need is what they won't get/select: a board that doesn't, as such, care about hockey, but will rather ruthlessly clean house on enablers, under-carpet sweepers, and the predatory themselves regardless of reputation, on-ice or behind-bench performance, etc.
I’d argue that someone who really cares about Hockey and it’s future would clean house. Those who buried stuff where looking at short term (and I’d argue personal gain) issues.

I’d argue that someone who really cares about Hockey and it’s future would clean house. Those who buried stuff where looking at short term (and I’d argue personal gain) issues.

Actually, you probably need a team who doesn't care about hockey at all, but who are objective and are experts at building good governance frameworks for not-for-profit societies.

The less objective you are, the less useful you will be to this gigantic cess pit IMHO.

Actually, you probably need a team who doesn't care about hockey at all, but who are objective and are experts at building good governance frameworks for not-for-profit societies.

The less objective you are, the less useful you will be to this gigantic cess pit IMHO.
I don’t see it as a cesspool. I see youth hockey and the future of Hockey endangered by careless and self serving people.

The problem with folks who don’t care about Hockey is that they won’t be able to make changes across the organization. It’s a National entity that touches almost all communities.
You can have all the rules in the world, and a solid Board - but if you aren’t getting both passionate and ethical folks running the local program your SOL. To do that you need folks on the Board (at least some) and at Provincial and lower levels that understand the game and follow the rules.

IMO the whole hockey "culture" could use a face lift. We see NHL - indeed across all major sports - people who are law breakers but are kept on cause they sell tickets to games. Yes Michael Vick I am looking at you.

That needs to change and I am sure it has or will be.

Secondly - don't depend on coaches to teach ethics and morals to your kids. That is YOUR job as a parent.
Coaches are hired because they know the game and can get the best out of the players they have.

Charles Barkly said he was paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court, not to be a role model to your kids. Parents - you are the role model, not Connor McDavid or Sid the Kid. They are paid to win games.

Adding: the grass roots of the best fastest team sport on earth are super important. THEY need to be nurtured as well, not just the elites.

I don’t see it as a cesspool. I see youth hockey and the future of Hockey endangered by careless and self serving people.

The problem with folks who don’t care about Hockey is that they won’t be able to make changes across the organization. It’s a National entity that touches almost all communities.
You can have all the rules in the world, and a solid Board - but if you aren’t getting both passionate and ethical folks running the local program your SOL. To do that you need folks on the Board (at least some) and at Provincial and lower levels that understand the game and follow the rules.

This guy does:

Hockey Canada sexual assault scandal: Another crack in the great Canadian facade​

For the third summer in a row, Canadians are being confronted with an existential national-identity crisis. Maybe it’s time we learned how to listen to each other and get along.

People argued that hockey culture can be misogynistic, exclusionary, abusive and a cesspool for toxic masculinity. Cherry’s firing was an opportunity to highlight that.

The revelations we’ve gotten in the past two months about the Hockey Canada scandal are further evidence that’s true.

This guy does:

Hockey Canada sexual assault scandal: Another crack in the great Canadian facade​

For the third summer in a row, Canadians are being confronted with an existential national-identity crisis. Maybe it’s time we learned how to listen to each other and get along.

People argued that hockey culture can be misogynistic, exclusionary, abusive and a cesspool for toxic masculinity. Cherry’s firing was an opportunity to highlight that.

The revelations we’ve gotten in the past two months about the Hockey Canada scandal are further evidence that’s true.

He makes my point though.
Issues occur in locker rooms.
Issues occur at functions.

Where are the coaches? I can guarantee you that locker room chat wasn’t being monitored, or was being willfully ignored.

USA Hockey has a two coaches in the locker room policy as well as a no phones/camera in the locker room

They have a lot more issues than just changing their board. They appear to need a ground up rebuild.

He makes my point though.
Issues occur in locker rooms.
Issues occur at functions.

Where are the coaches? I can guarantee you that locker room chat wasn’t being monitored, or was being willfully ignored.

USA Hockey has a two coaches in the locker room policy as well as a no phones/camera in the locker room

They have a lot more issues than just changing their board. They appear to need a ground up rebuild.

Speaking of coaches, I have no idea if they're 'better' at this kind of thing than Hockey Canada, but it's interesting to see that Swimming Canada dealt with a coach issue: