• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Housing for wife during PAT and SQ and DP1

I think there's something about beeing on/waiting for a course for more than 90 days that they would move your family WITH YOU'R CO'S PERMISSION. I've worked at armored school 3 years and they hardly ever granted that permission, and if they did it was for exeptionnal reasons only (and I'm not ralking about a wife scared of living on heu r own).

The reason is simple...to move you can cost $$$$$$$$$ and while on path, you can be trown on a course with hardly any notice and then posted anywhere in Canada.

And you might wanna reconsider your carreer move if you don't want to be away from your wife for long periods of time, combat trades a always away on missions, courses, exercises etc....

It takes a special kind of people to live a military career, but an even more special kind to be left behind with the kinds, house, bills ect....I always say my wife's a saint!! :salute:

She was prepared for a few to 6 months away from me. But when she heard of a possiblity of a year or more. Personaly I am prepare to be gone for 3-6 months but over a year right off the bat seemed harsh. But I talked to an online recruiter and he said that they weren't making offers unless the course can go with little gap in between.

And I for one, agree with you.  Hopefully your CoC will also and after you get past BMQ and move on in your trg, your wife can join you sooner than later.

So here's what I've come up with since. Nothing is official yet so any clerks or other serving members can tell me it wont work, would be appreciated.

So we are planning to break out lease here in Edmonton and put pretty much all of our G&E into storage at my own expense. My wife will be flying to Moncton, NB to live in a basement suite at my sisters boyfriends house. We've gone onto a legal documents website and drew up a rental agreement and she can stay there for $300 a month.

So my questions are this.

Will this rental agreement and $300 rent be sufficient enough so I won't have to pay quarters and rations during course??

And when it comes time to get posted and move, will the CF have the contracting company come to the storage unit where my stuff is located and move it from there??

Thanks, kkramar.

The stuff from the storage unit should be moved at crown expense when you get your first posting.  However, anything your family ammasses in Moncton would not be moved.  Further, if you are posted back West after your training, you will likely have to cover the travel & accomodation costs for your family for any distance travelled beyond the distance from Edmonton to that new posting.

If you are comfortable with the costs you will have to carry and the other costs you risk having to carry, then this looks like a fairly sound plan.  Do not get any wheels turning until after your chain of command gives you the green light.

She wouldn't really be getting anything while shes over there other than maybe a cheap bed to sleep on. She will probably be hanging out upstairs with my sister or working.

Also the amount of money we would be saving from paying $300 apposed to $1220 a month as well wouldn't give me a problem to pay for another plane ticket to fly her there.

Who should I ask if this would be acceptable, I don't really have a CoC yet since I don't start BMQ till Sept. I would like to get this finalize before the end of July since I need to serve notice to my Landlord in Edmonton.

Also my trade is Artillery, so there isn't any posting west of Shilo.

kkramar said:
She wouldn't really be getting anything while shes over there other than maybe a cheap bed to sleep on. She will probably be hanging out upstairs with my sister or working.
Make sure she really is staying in a stand alone suite.  If she is living out of the kitchen of the main dwelling, your whole plan falls appart because, as far as DND is concerned, that would not meet the threshold of you maintaining a residence.

kkramar said:
Who should I ask if this would be acceptable, I don't really have a CoC yet since I don't start BMQ till Sept. I would like to get this finalize before the end of July since I need to serve notice to my Landlord in Edmonton.
Don't make any arrangements until you get to the Artillery School.  There is a whole number of potential heart aches you may open yourself to.

kkramar said:
Also my trade is Artillery, so there isn't any posting west of Shilo.
The distance from Moncton to Shilo is still greater than the distance from Edmonton to Shilo.

He says that there are 2 sections in the basement that are stand alone, he already has one guy living down there. We've made up a lease as well showing that we are paying rent.

What kind of heart aches are you talking about. I'm still paying rent for a place for her to live and she will have a job there anyways. 

I'm fine with having to foot the bill to fly her to where ever I'm posted. This is mainly for her not me, even if she doesn't get to see me while I'm at Gagetown at least she wont be alone and able to hang out with my sister.

Do you think my file manager would be able to confirm if this plan could work.

None of what I'm doing is going to cost the crown any public expense.

kkramar said:
What kind of heart aches are you talking about. I'm still paying rent for a place for her to live and she will have a job there anyways.
If something happens and you don't clear St Jean in the expected time frame (could be from a course failure or an injury), then your family will now be in a strange new province and you will still be geographically seperated.

You might fail-out completely.  In this case, you'd have up-rooted your family for no purpose & will very quickly be looking for a new home in Edmonton with all expenses out of your pocket.

You might get to Gagetown quickly, but because the appropriate people did not approve your family moving, DCBA will rule you to be not entitled to certain benefits (possibly R&Q). 

kkramar said:
None of what I'm doing is going to cost the crown any public expense.
That may be, but when you don't follow the letter of the policy you become the one to miss-out on benefits.  Do things wrong and it will cost you.

Well like I said she is going to be living in the suite downstairs of my sisters boyfriends house. Paying rent with an legal lease agreement.

I'm saying this for my own motivation. FAILING OUT IS NOT AN OPTION. I'm come to far now to fail.

That being said if something happens that I do fail out, all is needed is to pop her back on a plane to Edmonton and start over.

I'm doing this for her so she will have at least my sister to keep her company, they have a decent friendship. My wife doesn't have any close friends here anymore because they've grown apart or they have moved away. If it works out that I can go to Moncton for the weekend then great, if not she still has my sister around.

If it also turns out that I have to pay R&Q ,then its not going to break the bank. I'll still be saving a lot more money doing this than if she was to stay in Edmonton. She's also been wanting to move out of Edmonton for some years now.

My main concern is if I'll get R&Q free, and that even though our official address according to the lease will be the basement suite in Moncton, that it won't become an issue that our G&E is in Edmonton. When it comes time to actually move to a posting, that they wont be showing up at the door in Moncton and have nothing to load up because all she's got is a mattress in the basement.

kkramar said:
even though our official address according to the lease will be the basement suite in Moncton, that it won't become an issue that our G&E is in Edmonton. When it comes time to actually move to a posting, that they wont be showing up at the door in Moncton and have nothing to load up because all she's got is a mattress in the basement.

That alone may cause you a huge problem in the end.  If I were you, I'd take the advice to WAIT until you get to Gagetown to make any plans.  You never know, depending on the length of the course, you may be entitled to a move.  If you do as you're proposing, you may find yourself paying for everything out of your own pocket and any money you will have "saved" by moving your wife will be gone and then some.  Just my  :2c:

Well I just got off the phone with my file manager about this. She said when it comes to my relocation when it comes time to it, they go by your city at time of enrollment. So they would be coming to Edmonton to move my goods. Which is great because my G&E is going to be in storage in Edmonton. She did mention they wouldn't be paying to fly her from Moncton, which is fine with me.

The only thing she needed to check on is the rations and quarters part of this.

Back