• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do I apply for and/or replace military medals and decorations

sigtech

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way I can request my Great Uncles Medals From WWI. I have hunted around and haven't found any information?

thanks

My Uncle John lost his medals from world war two we had to talk to veterans affairs to get a replacement set sent. I believe it was $110 for the five basic medals (FG Star 39 Star, CVSM,War Medal, Defence medal) and after some negotiations they sent us his Dieppe clasp for free. If you go to their website they should have the information you need, but make sure you have all his service information including service number and other medals he won if he won any outside of the basic three (1914 Star, Victory medal, allied victory medal)

Here are some FAQs from VAC on medal replacement.

How do I apply for and/or replace military medals and decorations?
    Information on the military medals and decorations that Veterans Affairs Canada are responsible for and a list of qualifying areas of service for Regular Forces is by writing to Honours and Awards, Veterans Affairs Canada, 66 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0P4

Can I wear my father's (brother's, relatives') medals?
    Medals may only be worn by the veteran. It is a criminal offense to wear military medals that someone else has earned.

Can I purchase another set of medals for my children/grandchildren even if a set is already in existence?
    Veterans Affairs Canada issues only one set of medals. If additional sets are required you may wish to contact a military outfitter and purchase miniature commemorative medals.

Is there a charge involved in replacing medals?
    Only the first issue of medals is sent free of charge. A replacement set, however, is available at cost if the first set of medals has been lost or destroyed. The price for each medal varies, and, therefore, the cost may vary.

Thanks for the information
all good and has got me started in the correct direction

From Royal Cdn Legion website at:
http://www.legion.ca/asp/docs/serv_bur/medals_e.asp

Military medals and awards are not topics that normally come to mind when considering help that service officers of The Royal Canadian Legion can provide to those who have served their country in the Armed Forces. However, recently Dominion Command has appointed a Medals Adviser. LCdr (Ret'd) E.A. (Ted) Burke a former member of the British Royal Navy and Canadian Forces has very generously been assisting those who have had problems replacing lost or stolen medals or obtaining ones for which there was entitlement but which were never issued.

If you have tried to obtain replacements or entitlement and have run up against a stumbling block, you may wish to send a letter through your branch or provincial command service officer to Dominion Command to the attention of the Medals Adviser. Alternatively, visit the Dominion Command website at www.legion.ca and send an e-mail through the veterans services link with the details of your situation.

If you are willing to settle for the medals in Miniature you should approach
William Scully & Sons ( http://www.williamscully.ca/) they have been producing militaria going back to the Boer war.
Good bunch - they do a nice job with the Court Mounting

What does someone have to do to replace there lost service medals? I know you can contact Vetrens Affairs and you have to buy them, but it takes up to 90 days. Or do you go through unit level and they take care of it for you? Any info would be great thanks.

From:  http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=help/generalfaq

How do I apply for and/or replace military medals and decorations?
    Information on the military medals and decorations that Veterans Affairs Canada are responsible for and a list of qualifying areas of service for Regular Forces is by writing to Honours and Awards, Veterans Affairs Canada, 66 Slater Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0P4

Information for Merchant Marines is available by writing to: The Merchant Navy Registry, Veterans Affairs Canada, PO Box 7700, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 8M9.

Regulator.......
if you're still in - check in with your orderly room
It's still gonna cost ya though

my grandfather was in the korean war, and also one of the founding members of the korean war vets association in my town. he passed away a number of years ago, and it would mean a great deal to my mother if i could get them. you see they were very close while she was growing up, but i don't know if there are any medals/decorations i could find. if anyone could help me out, i would appreciate it.

Have you tried his 'Estate'?  Check with your family as to where they went.  If someone in your family doesn't have them, then try some of the options mentioned above.

I must admit that I was once also under the impression that a serving member was allowed to wear the decorations of a direct ancestor (father, mother, grandfather, grandmother), which was told to me when I was a young soldier by an older soldier, due to the presence of another soldier wearing a set of ribbons on his right breast (about 15 years ago).  It may have been that many others were also under this impression at one time.

However, I have reread this trail, and must confirm that no family decorations are allowed to be worn by a member.  Members in other comonwealth countries are permitted, but not here.  Further there was an attempt in 1997 to change this with a private motion called Bill C-300, but that was withdrawn, later replaced by the Bill C-300 Peacekeeping Medal Act.

What does someone have to do to replace there lost service medals? I know you can contact Vetrens Affairs and you have to buy them, but it takes up to 90 days. Or do you go through unit level and they take care of it for you? Any info would be great thanks.

To be honest, I would have a real hard time with a serving member that "lost" their medals. My first reaction would probably be in the lines of reminding said member to "pull his head from his rear with a slow twisting motion!" Then to give his head a shake in order to clear it of the contents from his rear! :threat:

Sorry but I can't think of any excuse I would buy, other than the entire house burned down.

order new ones & claim thru your household insurance is all I can think of right now

Warning to all - never ever let your movers move your key military possessions if you can avoid it.  Everytime I moved I kept the following in a briefcase with me:

Military medals, decorations and other 'hardware'
Copies of PERs and other performance reports
Your file with all your certificates and achievements
On-of-a-kind high-value military momentos

This stuff is just too difficult to replace, or in some cases impossible to replace!

Warning to all - never ever let your movers move your key military possessions if you can avoid it.  Everytime I moved I kept the following in a briefcase with me:

Military medals, decorations and other 'hardware'
Copies of PERs and other performance reports
Your file with all your certificates and achievements
On-of-a-kind high-value military momentos

This stuff is just too difficult to replace, or in some cases impossible to replace!

:cheers: That shouldn't even have to be said, but I do realise that some of our people are not the sharpest knives in the drawer! :eek: ;D

Back