• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do you know if you are cut out for it?

CL84

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I‘ve just turned 20, finished high school and looking towards a full-time, until retirement career in the military. Army - Infantry. Thing is..I don‘t know if I am really wanting this or not, as if I am brainwashed maybe into thinking it‘s the only option for me or whatever. To be honest, I really really want to join and want to be a part of all of it. I want to be in the infantry I know this. I took a BMQ course through high school in gr. 12. Co-op, had a taste of what it‘s like and I know it...but really..how does one ‘know‘ that they are cut out for military life? Especially a 20+year career. What questions do you ask yourself, again...how do you know it‘s for you or not?

:cdn:

It‘s the same as marriage- you won‘t know until you do it. Wanting to is enough. Besides, you don‘t "sign up" for life- do your 3 years, then worry about the rest of your life.

I will say this- the Military can be very fulfilling, and a lot of fun.

Worse case scenario, you‘ve spent three years learning a variety of skills, making great friends, and developing life skills and ethics that will stand you well for the rest of your life, no matter what you do.

Cheers-Garry

Thanks, that did help. You are right, wanting to is enough. I want to make a career out of this, so I would keep signing 3 year contracts? Like keep extending my contract? That‘s better I guess. I know you are right too though, worst case scenario part, even when I did a few months on that BMQ through high school, I am still friends with everyone I went through that with, and I change alot because of it. The biggest fear I have with joining the Army full time is, acceptance into my unit. What if I go through all that and I do my job as hard as I can and everything, but I am not liked. There was one guy in my unit that we picked on all the time, I really don‘t want to be that guy...I guess it was because he complained all the time and didn‘t work hard at all....I don‘t know..It would really suck if I didn‘t get accepted into the group....Thanks again though. It helped.

I‘m sure lots of people in the military are not liked by their units but it is not about how much people like you, it is about how much you like the job. Think of all the possible career choices you can do... if Infantry is the only option that motivates you, then in the immortal words of Dean from FUBAR... Give ‘er!

I am in the same boat. I want to become a firefighter but I would really love to experience military life - mainly infantry - before I start my career, and to be in better shape for the job mentally and physically. Come the end of summer, I‘m signing up for my tags.

If ya got any questions about recruiting or anything, feel free to send a privmsg.

Peace.

Ya, I understand totally about it‘s not about how much people like you or not, it‘s not a popularity contest, and I know and understand that everywhere you go in this life, there will be people that like and dislike you equally. It‘s just stressful, 20 years old..haven‘t been out on my own ever, I just want everything to work like everyone else I guess. I know it will, people going into the Army are in the same boat I‘m in I guess, so it will work. I will be there to do the job and I am there not for people to like me, but for myself and for my country etc, to do my job. But what makes your job so much harder, no matter what it is, is if people don‘t accept you. But again, they are all in the same boat I‘m in...so how can I go wrong. lol.

One question though, earlier it was said that wanting to is enough, regarding knowing if you are cut out for the Army or not...and yes I want to. But I wonder, is there something seriously wrong with me, when I say I want to roll around in the mud, hike for 18 hours with a 90lb ruck on my back and get screamed at constantly? lol. My brother sort of asked me that the other day, he‘s 15. "Why do you want a life like that?" he gave all the examples I just gave. I didn‘t have an answer for him. I just, want to?

Going to work from 9 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon, only thinking about you next vacation days, not being particularly proud of your job, facing a minimal ammount of challenges, making very little difference and having a minimal impact on your society. Why would you want a life like that ???

Your 15 years old brother might not be able to understand your choice yet, but soon he‘ll realise that its only a question of finding a meaning to your life. If you ask any soldier, sailman or airman in the CF im sure the most common reason why they do this job is because it makes them proud of what they are doing and they feal like they are actually doing something usefull.

Dont worry about what people think, just charge ahead and dont look back.

Very inspiring words. I mean that. Don‘t look back. I don‘t think I ever will. I have always wanted to do something and not be forgotten and be remembered. You look at how many people just die every day and nobody remembers because they are just another face sitting behind a desk or working at some factory. I really want to have a job doing something I can be proud of and make my family proud, and actually make a difference. Don‘t want to waste my life. I want to have my kid go to school, when or if I have kids, and be able to say my dad is in the Army, not...my dad works at a factory or mcdonalds or something like that. Well, anyways, enough rambling...time to sign up. Thanks again.

2 comments, first, if you have to ask...

2nd, if there is a guy who is being picked on then stand up and help the kid out!! If he‘s complaining and not pulling his share, then sit him down and explain his situation to him. He may not have a clear understanding of his options. Ultimately, it‘s up to him to decide if he‘s going to succeed or fail, but picking on people is BS.

if you‘re not sure whether or not, don‘t. goto university and take a retail job. after you‘ve done that for a year, you‘ll be so eager to do something different, you won‘t care what anyone says against it.

Dont think of it in a 20 year life sentence... looking at any job from a 20 year perspective may seem nerve wracking. take it step by step. youre from dunnville so im going to assume you did the Co-op down at John Foote Armouries. (im a grad of that program) if youre really unsure think about going back into the reserves for a bit first and if you still like it go Reg‘s. I am going to go out on a limb and assume you never went on your trades course after Co-op. so all you have is your BMQ, therefore you are missing out on a huge part of what its like to be IN the army. Basic training is not what the army is like. it is only one aspect of the job. also I hope youre not thinking that all you are going to do for 20 years is run around and shoot. to my knowlage the regular force infantry has alot of amazing opportunities that you could take. different specializations, as well as alot of room for advancement if you are right for the job. you have to sit down as ask what it is youre really unsure of. what aspect of the military that is still scareing you off. All I can tell you is that after 5 years in the reserves I still have alot I want to learn and do. and i still look forward to work (almost) every day i go in. Im sure there are alot of Reg force guys on here who can tell you that they have one of the best jobs in the world. And i wouldnt doubt them for a second.

Back