• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How important are extracurriculars for ROTP applicants?

Gimpy said:
This may all be well and good but don't you find it a bit hypocritical that you talk about staying in one's lanes and then you proceed to go into 2010newbie's most personal lane by making a direct judgment about his sister's age and experiences?

No, it's not even close to the same thing. The point that I was trying to make was that not only is he basing things on second-hand experience, he's basing it on second-hand experience that is also probably outdated.

ballz said:
Also, I don't know how old your sister is, but you are 34 according to your profile, so I'm willing to bet that her experience in cadets is dramatically different from what cadets is now.

Now explain to me how I stated anything as a fact that I was not qualified to state was a fact. All I stated was that I didn't know and I wondered if he had considered whether his second-hand info could be outdated or not.

Anywho if anybody else wants to question whether I should have pointed out what I did or not, PM me or report it to a mod. We don't need 10 posts to decide if someone strayed outside their lane or not, let's keep the thread on topic.

A paraphrased quote from the officer who did my interview for ROTP: "I do a lot of these interviews, and it is very refreshing to talk to someone who has done more with their life than just high school and cadets. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but out of every 100 people I talk to for ROTP interviews, about 98 of them are exactly the same person."

Cadets looks good on the application, no doubt about it. Showing a passion for anything that displays leadership abilities, dedication, and perseverance is even better. What really helped me in that area of my application is my 2.5+ years of training in jiu-jitsu (green belt, jikishin-ryu), with letters of recommendation from my sensei mentioning how much I help out new students and assist with the kids classes.

Stand out from the crowd so you don't get lost in it. Just my :2c:.

ballz is 100% correct in his posts.

Now back on topic.

Bruce
Staff

Man, I don't check the boards for 12 hours and all heck breaks loose....

ballz said:
First you said that cadets would give you "an excellent insight into the military," and I was going to ask you how you know that when you haven't gone to BMOQ yet. Then I gave you the benefit of a doubt that you may have prior experience in the military...... How can you be telling someone that cadets will give them an excellent insight into the military when it seems you have no experience in either?

You are correct, I have no experience in the military. My statement was a general one based on the experiences of my family - My sister was in Air Cadets for 6 years and my uncle, who is retired military and was also the President of the Air Cadet League of Canada. In addition, I have at least 7 family members that are in the CF or have retired from the CF as well.

I also based it on my observations at Recruit Camp last summer. People with prior cadet experience were more familiar with military specific information (drill, inspections, ranks) than the people that did not attend. We would generally go to them for advice or guidance when required.

My statement was not meant to be taken as though being in cadets is just like the military or that cadet experience is required for a successful application. I am stating that cadets will give you excellent insight into the CF (definitely more than joining your community soccer team) and I don't think you need years of experience in the CF to realize that.

Also, I don't know how old your sister is, but you are 34 according to your profile, so I'm willing to bet that her experience in cadets is dramatically different from what cadets is now.

I'll take that bet. My sister is 22 and still helps out with the squadron whenever she is in town.

As for staying in people's lanes, Ballz has every right to challenge me on my post. That is what keeps these forums in order and maintains their integrity as a great source of information. 

I am just going to throw this out there - instead of Cadets, why don't you look at the reserves, I presume you are roughly 16 years old and rather than being in a group that is from what I have seen more akin to boy scouts than the military. That isn't to say that I don't think that there are some benefits to the Cadets but if you are looking for extra-curricular activities, you might as well join the one that you get paid for being involved with.

Just my opinion of course.

Benton said:
I am just going to throw this out there - instead of Cadets, why don't you look at the reserves, I presume you are roughly 16 years old and rather than being in a group that is from what I have seen more akin to boy scouts than the military. That isn't to say that I don't think that there are some benefits to the Cadets but if you are looking for extra-curricular activities, you might as well join the one that you get paid for being involved with.

:nod:

As well, a couple of years of militia time under your belt with a subsequent component transfer to the regular force for ROTP will result in vested pay-rates that will almost double your salary while you are studying at RMC (an OCdt with Pte(T) pay makes $2600-2800/mo vs. $1400-1500 for 'off the street' OCdts).  Not that it's all about the money, but the combination of experience and the increased baseline pay is not a bad thing.

Regards
G2G

Benton said:

I've definitely considered it, but have been told by some people that transferring to regular force from reserves was a long and difficult process. Even if I 'dropped out' of reserves and tried to get into ROTP, your previous experience in the reserves somehow makes the transition difficult? Can anyone help shed some light on this? Do many people do this?

Vyscaria said:
I've definitely considered it, but have been told by some people that transferring to regular force from reserves was a long and difficult process. Even if I 'dropped out' of reserves and tried to get into ROTP, your previous experience in the reserves somehow makes the transition difficult? Can anyone help shed some light on this? Do many people do this?

If you retire from the Primary Reserve then you would then be considered a civilian for your ROTP application. 

A component transfer (CT) retains you in the CF, and you transfer between the Primary Reserve one day to the Regular Force the next day when the transfer is affected, thus maintaining your continuous service within the CF (and why you retain vested pay rights, per the Queen's Regulations and Orders [QR&Os]). 

Yes, the CT often results in a longer application process, but that is due to the administrative complexities of your membership within the CF.

Regards
G2G

Vyscaria said:

Right now I am in the process of applying for the ROTP in the form of a component transfer and I would say that for the most part it is actually an easier transition in the sense that you don't need to do the medical and aptitude test again for the CT. There is a form that needs to be filled out on the computer/DIN for a transfer and the usual questionnaire but it isn't a difficult process at all.

Plus this might actually make you a few contacts and help you decide if it is what you really want because (and no offense is meant by this) when I was in grade 10, I was as stupid as most every other kid in grade 10 is and I changed my mind about what I wanted to be every second day it seems like in retrospect. I guess all I am saying is make sure this is what you want before you go through the application/

I got in for ROTP, and my grades are actually awful (a C- average in first year uni) and a 76 average in Grade 12.

But I've done a lot of extracurricular activities and had zero team sports involved.

My cadet career, Presidency of a club at my school, and involvement in politics must have impressed someone to allow me in for my first choice.

I noticed no one recommended the reserves.

There are many advantages to joining a local reserve unit. First, when (if) you get accepted to RMC, you will have a leg up, as you will already know how the system works. You will know drill and recognize ranks and know how to press a pair of pants, all of which you could learn in cadets, but you will (IMO) better understand the actual military culture. When I was on BMOQ (called IAP/BOTP back then), we found that the most precious assets where our fellow OCdts/NCdts who had been in the reserves prior, as they actually knew what the hell they were doing! They were a very valuable source of information and advice. "Don't worry about it dude, he's not really that much of an a**hole, the MCpl is just playing his part." You will feel more comfortable and more confident in a military setting, and you will learn leadership from directly working with and for your NCOs.

The pay isn't bad either. As an OCdt/NCdt at RMC, your gross income is around $18k-$19k a year. If you join the reserves first, your annual pay when you become on OCdt/NCdt will be $35k+.  Your pay while in the reserves isn't bad either.

Further, many find the RMC-ROTP application process to be lengthy and sometimes difficult. If you join the reserves now, you will have several steps already completed, (i.e. CFAT), and you will be less intimidated, as you will already know the ropes at the recruiting centre.

Just my 2 cents. (didn't there used to be an emoticon for 2 cents?)

Back