• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How important is bilingualism when applying for ROTP?

• Thread starter Thread starter LegomyArty
  • Start date Start date
My last french class was grade 9 (Nova Scotia School System) and I have been selected this year into an engineering program (for ROTP of course).

Don't sweat it, but still strive for the best you can be. If you can by any means strengthen your french for your application next year, then do it.

Edited for clarification.

If you are taking ROTP through the Royal Military College, there is a French Language requirement in order to graduate in your degree program. Throughout the degree program you will have to take French Language courses. There are days and sometimes even weeks where all commands, classes, taskings are given in French. You must meet a minimum Bilingualism standard in order to qualify for graduation.

lethalLemon said:
If you are taking ROTP through the Royal Military College, there is a French Language requirement in order to graduate in your degree program. Throughout the degree program you will have to take French Language courses. There are days and sometimes even weeks where all commands, classes, taskings are given in French. You must meet a minimum Bilingualism standard in order to qualify for graduation.

Are these days where all classes are given in French after the majority of the cadets have received at least basic French language training?

I'm still not sure of how exactly you learn French in ROTP at the Royal Military College. Is it just like regular large university-sized classes, or is it smaller classes that are based on your current skill level?

If you are going through ROTP - Civilian Univ, then there's a chance (depending on trade) that you could never end up being formally tested in French until much later in your military career.  I was part of one of the last "all-trade" Second Language Training courses in St-Jean, and that was in late 2007. 

Alex-H77 said:
Are these days where all classes are given in French after the majority of the cadets have received at least basic French language training?

I'm still not sure of how exactly you learn French in ROTP at the Royal Military College. Is it just like regular large university-sized classes, or is it smaller classes that are based on your current skill level?

No- your academic classes will always be in your first official language, but if not functionally bilingual, you will be required to attend either french or english language classes (as appropriate), until you can test bilingual.

In short- your state of bilingualism going into RMC should be of no concern.  It is the state you are at by 4th yr you need to worry about.

SeaKingTacco said:
In short- your state of bilingualism going into RMC should be of no concern.  It is the state you are at by 4th yr you need to worry about.

Probably the best answer, and to add to that point, I have quite a few friends at RMC now who will not be loaded onto the 3rd phase of their training because they aren't bilingual. They'll be attending SLT @ St. Jean this summer instead.

So there's no shortage of opportunities to learn french while at RMC.

lethalLemon said:
There are days and sometimes even weeks where all commands, classes, taskings are given in French. You must meet a minimum Bilingualism standard in order to qualify for graduation.

In theory yes, in reality not so much. Almost all verbal communication is done in English and emails are usually bilingual.

Alex-H77 said:

It's small classes of around 10 people. You have SLT (Second Language Training) classes one hour a day everyday (minus weekends) until you are functionally bilingual (BBB). Depending on your trade you may also be sent to do SLT training as your summer training.

Back