• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How is artillery organized as?

Pikache

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a grunt asking a question.

How is artillery organized?
Like, how many guns in a battery.

Never quite figured it out.

A lt Bty (105 C3) - 6 guns, 2 OPs and a BCs party, CP, Recce, and an Ech - appox 110 mbrs full strenght.

Is there an arty equivalent to a platoon then?

Not really. Administatively a bty is broken into 3 troops. 2-3gun troops, and a HQ Troop. But in the field the OP and BC deploy with their respective supported arms, and the guns moves as a group and the ech delpoys within the gun area supporting the guns.

Here is a model: 20 Fd Arty Regt (of 20 CMBG)
20_Fd_Arty_Regt.jpg

As technology advances, and our guns will be able to orient and fix themselves using GPS and autonomous systems, you'll probably see the gun troop become more important and more independent. If the Royal Regiment does buy a system like LINAPS, and integrates computation of firing data into every individual gun (hence supplanting the Battery CP), then it's quite possible that you'll have troops of artillery finding their own firing positions, loosely controlled and coordinated by Bty HQ. The traditional tasks of Bty recce and survey are going to eventually become a residual / redundant capacity, held by batteries in case the gadgets break or GPS coverage is denied by our enemies somehow...

In short, right now the troop is primarily administrative, but that will change as technology and tactics in the Canadian Artillery evolve.

Just add to the question about being a platoon.. Yes sometimes we are configured as a plt.  Ever since we recieved the mortors we started this.  When we are mortors we are a mortor plt not a bty.  So we tend to reorg. into an infrantry plt.  Bt thats how my Bty does it , it may not be like this across the board though.

It's good to see things haven't changed, hahaha. anyone that's served with the first knows that your bty is way out there and always over kills the smallest of tasks.   lol

SOOO damn true.  Its so bad that the infrantry actually laugh at us cause we carry them damn things more than truck them

(them meaning mortors)

Can anyone provide the actual person-by-person structure (a link or image would be great) of a battery in its current Canadian configuration?

I'm also interested in what occurs within the structure when the mortars are being used, I know a lot would stay the same - FOOs, Recce, etc - but what changes?

I have to disagree
a Battery is equal to a Company
a Platoon is equal to a Troop
a Section is equal to a Detachment

3 Dets to a Troop      3 Sections to a Platoon
3 Troops to a Bty      3 Platoons to a Company

3rd Horseman said:
I have to disagree
a Battery is equal to a Company
a Platoon is equal to a Troop
a Section is equal to a Detachment

3 Troops to a Bty       3 Platoons to a Company

2 Gun Tp's and 1 HQ Tp to a battery.

I've heard that it actually was 4 Troops before, 2 Gun Tps with 3 guns per
                                                                  1 HQ Tp (CP&Recce)
                                                                  1 OP Tp (G11,12,19A)

Now the current TF configuration is 2 Gun Tps with 2 guns per (now have CP&Recce elements embedded so they can operate independently)
                                                    1 OP Tp called ATG (Arty Tac Gps)

Maybe the Regiments are all doing their own thing but thats what I'm hearing the set-up is right now out west.

Perhaps 2+1 =3 is not valid in the Royal Regiment or somefink? I'm kind of wondering what point Gunner is trying to make also.

3 Troops to a Bty      3 Platoons to a Company

2 Gun Tp's and 1 HQ Tp to a battery.

Michael,

My artillery math certainly confirms that 2+1=3. Although the Bty is broken into 3 troops, similar to 3 Pls in a coy, it would be wrong to think that tps=pls, particularly as one is organized totally different from the other 2.

Cheers,

Don't know if I can be of any help here but the math is definitely right. There are 3 troops in each battery however it is 2 Gun Tps and one OP Tp now, the HQ elements are embedded in the gun tps because, as they are doing now in Afghanistan they have to be able to work independently. The gun tps are layed out almost exactly as as an infantry platoon ( I think) with 3 sections and a Tp/Pl O and WO. The OP tp (ATG) is layed out a little different with 3 OP parties and the FSCC, they are a little top heavy because obviously the FOO's are officers but still can re-role almost exactly the same as the Gun Tp (might have a Capt as Team Leader Team Charlie though ;D) It should be noted that this is in relation to a Light Coy/Pl, in regards to the mech side, not too up to speed or if the Pl's and Coys are different size ie LAV Capt so i won't wander out of my lane. Anyhow.......

Back