• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How is the Canadian Army in terms of Combat operations?

• Thread starter Thread starter B.C Dude
  • Start date Start date
STRIKE ONE.... Pride in serving your country comes in there, but its not big on list.
STRIKE TWO....and main reason was money and a getting a good career
STRIKE THREE....wait for it!...coming soon....

Radiohead,
You insult all of the keen sigs that we had in 2 RCHA when I was there.
I hope you tell your career manager the same thing you tell the new recruits here. :crybaby:

Hey before you combat guys get all pissie.... I didn'tsay that wasn't my soul reason for joining.  Like I said these were the reasons given in my platoon.  And yes money came in high on list, and so what if it is.  If you think people don't join the forces for a trade, and money pull your head out the sand, because they do.  or have you wondered why there so many people leaving after 3-6 years.  Just so you know I'm not defending people who do, just stating something everyone on this forum already nows.  I joined for lot more reasons that a career, but seeing the reaction here, I won't post them.

As for Kevin B get over it.  But before you start insulting me, this a public forum from what I remember.  Do you have any life skills ousidet of guns?  I take it that you don't that why your always so upset by the fact that other people join the army to learn more useful skills. And yes Kevin we know the Cf is short of 031 guys and that if you do a tour your going to do grunt work, nothing wrong with that as as a secordary job. Yes its important, but not as important as the job you do in your own trade, after all that why people join to Techs in the first place.

nothing wrong with that as as a secordary job. Yes its important, but not as important as the job you do in your own trade, after all that why people join to Techs in the first place.

That mentality, my friend, is going to get you in the headlines with PFC Jessica Lynch.

"That mentality, my friend, is going to get you in the headlines with PFC Jessica Lynch."

headlines with Jessica Lynch, I think not.  But I'm sure your mentality does led to a lot of very skilled Techs leaving the forces, before they want too.  But hey if you want all your hi-tech kit to stop working or to be fiixed by civi's at ten times the prices... you just keeping thinking the way your thinking.  Maybe you would be happier in a army like North Korea where everyone is 031.

But I'm sure your mentality does led to a lot of very skilled Techs leaving the forces, before they want too.

Sure beats having to quarter up their dismembered remains because they couldn't successfully defend their CSS convoy due to weapon stoppages, insufficient knowledge of hasty defence, lack of fire coordination, general panic due to unpreparedness, etc, etc.   If people are leaving the Forces because they don't want to be soldiers then that is probably better for the health of the profession of arms.   Good on them; I'd rather they leave then stick around for the pension and be a liability to us on operations.

But hey if you want all your hi-tech kit to stop working or to be fixed by civi's at ten times the prices... you just keeping thinking the way your thinking.

I'm not to worried about that; I've run into plenty of tradesmen (many who are ex-combat arms) who enjoy their jobs and understand how it fits into their roll as soldiers.

Maybe you would be happier in a army like North Korea where everyone is 031.

Sorry, we're not a conscript army bub.   However, I would be happier in a professional force that recognizes that its members are all trained soldiers who perform their duties on the field of battle.

I've read this thread with interest. 

RadioHead.....you epitomise the character and disposition of the REMF.  I imagine you will truly wear that title proudly when ever you serve.

GW

your going to do grunt work, nothing wrong with that as as a secordary job

What ever happened to being a soldier first?  If Afghanistan is anything like a year ago, the tech trades people could not even carry out simple soldier skills like camp security.  Yes, 031s are short on numbers, but doing the work that others should be able to do puts more strain on us.  We could have had civilians doing the tech stuff, would not have made a difference to us.  And yes, this is a generalization, there are a few keen tech soldiers that I would be trust on a patrol.

Dogboy said:

join the CA because you want to be a Candean not because you want to go kick some @**

Wrong. I'd be a Canadian (not a Candean) whether I was in the military or not. But most guys in the Combat Arms go overseas ready to kick some *** if given the opportunity. We train for war and tone it down for Peacekeeping duties, but Soldiers are NOT Cops. My primary job is making sure I can get my machine gun in the right place at right time to send belt fed death onto the hopefully unsuspecting enemy downrange. Even the rear echelon types need to remember that they're just as important in bringing about the destruction of the enemy as the soldier actually pulling the trigger.

If you want to fight and win wars, join the army. Hopefully we can start to water down the WOGs like Radiohead.

Ghostwalk said:
Dogboy said:

Wrong. I'd be a Canadian (not a Candean) whether I was in the military or not. But most guys in the Combat Arms go overseas ready to kick some *** if given the opportunity. We train for war and tone it down for Peacekeeping duties, but Soldiers are NOT Cops. My primary job is making sure I can get my machine gun in the right place at right time to send belt fed death onto the hopefully unsuspecting enemy downrange. Even the rear echelon types need to remember that they're just as important in bringing about the destruction of the enemy as the soldier actually pulling the trigger.

If you want to fight and win wars, join the army. Hopefully we can start to water down the WOGs like Radiohead.

I'll be starting the recruiting process after this school year.  Hoping to become reg force 031.  I'm certainly not joining to hand our food and medecine. 
I have no problem doing that and that's probably what I'll end up doing on most deployments.  But I am joining to "kick some ass"(among other reasons) Specifically some terrorist ass if possible.

I think you've been watching too many movies sunshine.

Alright, maybe it is a Hollywood attitude. Maybe don't get to "kick ass" as much as some people think we should. But that mentality is, in my opinion, the first step in getting away from the "America's whining little brother" attitude that some people have of the CF and Canada in general.

No one views Canada as being a poor country, or a bad country, in fact the only thing really "wrong" (if you can even call it that which I don't think you can) is our military.  And just because we're not "up to standards" it gets picked apart by Canadian civilians and civilians of other countries.  As I said in another post the American Army doesn't look down on the Canadian Army, but their civilians (JUST like our civilians) make fun it because we're not as strong an powerful as they are (or other nations are).

This really isn't related to the topic, I just didn't think it was fair to say that Canada is looked upon as;

Ghostwalk said:
"America's whining little brother"

Hmmm... I can see I'm starting to dig myself into a hole...

The America's brother comment was in reference to the polite, politically correct, and increasingly declawed "New Canadian Forces" that has been the topic of much discussion on these boards. There are folks around here who've been quite a bit more articulate about this issue then I ever can be, so I'll leave it to them to debate over this.

I'm just trying to point out that the sooner the Canadian public sees us as soldiers rather then international cops we'll all be better off. The first step to accomplish this is to promote a "warrior mentality", possibly through different ways suggested around here: A Canadian Commando Course, a Teir 2 airborne style unit, and a training system that puts a focus on a "Rifleman first, tradesman second" mentality. In my opinion, its our own attitudes - right down to the soldier in the trench - that will determine the future of the Army and the Canadian Forces in general. Give the troops a strong fighting spirit, and it will eventually spread through to the civillian population. I don't have any problem with Peacekeeping-style operations, and personally I'm not too fond of American and British involvment in Iraq. But we should be toning the aggression down for our current operations rather then have to play catch up if a full intensity war breaks out.

Just in case it looks this way, I wasn't trying to attack you Ghostwalk...

And when I said Canada then quoted Ghostwalk, I didn't mean Canada's military, I meant Canada the country...just so there's no confusion, although I still wouldn't refer to us that way.

Back