• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How long can you stay in?

CanEhdian

Inactive
Reaction score
How long can you stay in the army as a NCM? The man who did my interview made it seem like after 25 years you must leave but on the Canadian Army website it says people stay in even after they can retire. Anyhow, can someone stay in until they are 60 year old if they have something to do?

The compulsory retirement age for the military was age 55.  recently they have bumped it up to 60 for certain occupations that are very short handed.  What usually happens is you retire at 55, take you pention and return as a reservist for a few years.  You get your pention, plus reserve pay, not bad.  The few folks around that old are not humping rucksacks or doing section attacks in the army, mostly support trades.  I am AEC, we have a few "long in the tooth" folks here, all reserves.

So as I understand it after 25 years I will just be released unless I change to a different MOC where they think I can be more useful? I'm 18 right now and going into the infantry.

I do not know whose giving you the 25 year speech.  I believe now you must do 25 years to qualifyy for your pention.  When I joined in 1988 I only required 20 years to pention which I will have in 08.  As I stated the mandatory retirnment age is 55, with certain exceptions to age 60.  I would get clarification on that.  I know your 18 and pentions may seem very far off, but you should get it cleared up if you plan on making the army a career.  I sit here know with 18 years in and wonder wear it all went:):)

As for the infantry, hope you get in, you will really enjoy it.

peaches said:
I do not know whose giving you the 25 year speech.  I believe now you must do 25 years to qualifyy for your pention.  When I joined in 1988 I only required 20 years to pention which I will have in 08.  As I stated the mandatory retirnment age is 55, with certain exceptions to age 60.  I would get clarification on that.  I know your 18 and pentions may seem very far off, but you should get it cleared up if you plan on making the army a career.  I sit here know with 18 years in and wonder wear it all went:):)

As for the infantry, hope you get in, you will really enjoy it.
It is Pension and the mandatory retirement age is 60 for everyone who wants to stay in that long.

Back