• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Much is Too Much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapper332

Inactive
Reaction score
The single soldiers from my Unit were shown last week the "new" single quarters that they would be moving into come the summer of this year. We were dazzled by the 4 soldiers sharing one bathroom design - sure hope they can all fit into one stand-up shower stall in the mornings after PT.... but the were blown away by a "wheelchair accessible" room.
  While all other soldiers will be stacked in like cord wood into the newly renovated (and now much smaller) rooms - the ground floor corner rooms are being modified with larger access doors, a sit-down shower stall and lowered sink vanities.
  Now, it may just be me, being an old soldier who's out of touch with the times - but since when have we required permanent single quarters for those physically challenged who happen to be wheelchair-bound?
  With our modern world of political correctness - is this too much?

Having navigated through the "shack" on crutches after spraining an ankle, I certainly see the merit in that design, but we all know that isn't the real reason it was installed. Either one person is going to get the "cushy" room by lottery, or it will sit as another empty white elephant.....

Would this be in the same class as having wheelchair accessible parking spots in all new parking lots? You can find some here in WATC. Anywhere else?

It's been my experience that you can never have too much storage in the single quarters (insert note of sarcasm here).

a_majoor with regards to SLI members on crutches.  There would be a good chance that the member would already have a room in another part of the building and would not move into the handicapped room for 6 weeks.  The newer rooms in Edmonton are small as well from what I can remember.

Sorry, forgot the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] around the post.

Seriously, how is this room going to be assigned?

<Warning ....ADVOCATUS DIABOLI Post>

Its not a ramp for the disabled.but for the possible recruitment of the heavy mass /  mass-disadvantaged soldiers.....

Just wait till they introduce regs to assign 2 seats in each forces vehicle to the mass disadvantaged.....

At the Engineering division building at the Fleet School in Esquimalt, a wheel chair lift was installed between the 1st and 2nd decks, despite the 2nd deck being accessed by a level entry side door. This being a Base construction project, they took their sweet time doing it.  After about a month, it finally dawned on us, the staff, as to what they where doing.

I can't remember if it was me or a winger who said it, but it was mentioned that it would be great for hauling desk books.  Fact is, that's what was used as a test load.

Ten years later, that was its first and only use.

What a PC country we live in.....All our Government Buildings must meet the requirements of the Wheel Chair Access codes.  Everything has to be 90% Handicap Accessable.  ::) 

GW

George Wallace said:
What a PC country we live in.....All our Government Buildings must meet the requirements of the Wheel Chair Access codes.   Everything has to be 90% Handicap Accessable.   ::)  

GW
George at 6Fd in N.Van they took a chunk of the ranks Mess for the elevator landing on the 2nd floor.
Yup an elevator that only goes up one floor but will be used how much?
We are going from the ludicrous to the sublime.

Spr.Earl said:
George at 6Fd in N.Van they took a chunk of the ranks Mess for the elevator landing on the 2nd floor.
Yup an elevator that only goes up one floor but will be used how much?
We are going from the ludicrous to the sublime.

There's an elevator? Damn. I need to start paying more attention.

Reference wheel-chair accessibility, I think everyone should remember that just because you happen to be able bodied, not everyone using the facilities will be.. visitors, injured troops, etc may potentially make use of the facilities....

That is true except for single lving in quarters.  If on the off chance there were that 1 in a billion chance then you could either improvise or carry someone down or up the stairs.  This thread I believe was in regards to a disabled room in the SLI quarters

Oh it's not finnished yet?
The monies DND have spent to plecate P.C. could have given years of training and bullets for us all.

From what I understand all government departments must show progress towards making things accessible. If they started granting exceptions or lessened requirements to one department then all the others would ask for the same and we would be back to square one. As for troops accommodations, keep in mind they are sometimes also used for housing contractors running training and computer based exercises. It's certainly possible for contractors to benefit from accessible rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back