• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to be a competitive candidate for the subsidized education plan

MrManlyMan

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm a recent university graduate (> 3 years, bachelor of arts from Western U) and have fallen in love with electricity and electronics to the point that I wish to pursue this newfound passion academically and work in fields that relate to electrical engineering.

I have found a few programs that have offered me conditional acceptances for September, granted that I just finish up a couple of requisite courses (should be done Mid June)

I am looking through the application process for the subsidized education plan, and more than just finding a means to be able to support myself through this transition, the more I read the more I think that the canadian forces would probably be one of the most interesting and engaging environments to apply my skills developed from my electrical program.

Other than the fact that I meet all of the "minimum" requirements, what else could I do to make myself a more competitive candidate as an NCM, and those of you that have participated in the program/been accepted please let me know if you have any advice as well

If you haven't already started the process, you won't get in by Sept, since the majority of NCMSEP selections are done in the feb-april time frame.

The subsidized education plan only covers programs that directly apply to the trade your applying for I.E there not going to pay for your law school if your not going to be employed by the CF as a lawyer.  Since your in university appying for an NCM trade chances are they're going to tell you "No Dice" and give you advice on trades that your degree is good in or tell you what kind of school they want for the trade your applying for.

Also hatchet man is correct in saying if you havent already applied for this upcomming school year you wont be processed in time.

Perhaps you could let us know what trades you intend to apply for? You might recieve better advice or even check out http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104685.0

Mushroom said:
The subsidized education plan only covers programs that directly apply to the trade your applying for I.E there not going to pay for your law school if your not going to be employed by the CF as a lawyer. 

Correct sort of.  More like certain occupations, offer subsidized education though, which trades are eligible, and what schools/programs are acceptable, are always being updated and changed. 

Since your in university appying for an NCM trade chances are they're going to tell you "No Dice" and give you advice on trades that your degree is good in or tell you what kind of school they want for the trade your applying for.

Incorrect. One the OP is a Uni graduate.  Two, it doesn't matter that he/she already has a degree since the CF didn't pay for it.  I think that was the guardrail on your lane.

Also hatchet man is correct in saying if you havent already applied for this upcomming school year you wont be processed in time.

Well I would hope I am correct since its my job to know these things, or at least have some awareness of whats going on 8)

Back