• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to go from Infantry recruit to Paratrooper?

D

Drez

I just signed up this week to join the CF and Im 18.

My question is about paratroops training. I am aware of the time it takes to complete basic and then the chosen job, but once Im a full soldier in the infantry, how long should I expect to wait before recieving the paratrooper course once I apply for it?

Is there anything special I should know about it from people who have gotten it and passed it? :warstory:

No idea, but there are guys in my unit (48th Highlanders) who just took the course last year -- the first year it was offered to them.

From what they told me, it all depends on two things:

- There has to be an opening available to your unit for the jump course
- Your CO has to recommend you to the course

Of course, your unit must have enough coin in the coffers to pay for you to go, as well.

The course is four weeks, and according to one jump-trained highlander, you will do five jumps (I think that‘s what he said), including one at night with full equipment, which in the jump world, is the creme-de-la-creme of jumps because it is extremely dangerous and requires the limit of your skills.

Good luck!

I have no idea why anyone would want to get out of a perfectly good airplane while it is moving. If it‘s on fire, ok, I can understand...

You may get the course anytime in your career. Don‘t worry about that until you are at the Regt. As for the Course it is 3 weeks. It consists of one week ground training, week two is the Mock tower ( first three days) then testing. Week three is Jump stage. It is 5/6 jumps. 1. beara55, 2 just rifle/snowshoes,3 full equipment, 4 night, 5 ramp, 6 if your lucky ramp beara55.
I have been a jumper for 20 yrs, 300 staticline, 50 Freefall.

Cool! So Basically could I apply for it as soon as I complete my job training in the infantry?

How long would you gather the delay is if I do apply that quickly?

Thanks for all your help!

Hey Recce maybe we can catch each other on some IM thing if you dont mind...I have a few questions and Id love the veteran insight on the job! :)

You may not get the course for yrs though, most of the time you get another course. ie Machine Gunner, Lav Driver, any Inf. course. I‘m Armour so its different. Right now I‘m a Outside Ottawa Warrior, until never posting season.

Night jumps aren‘t that dangerous. I‘ve got a lot more night jumps than any thing else...

On the course the first jump is bare-a-ss and the rest are ALL full equipment. 2xday FE, 1 night FE, and 1 ramp FE. And if you‘re lucky to score a #6 it‘ll be a bare-a-ss freebee, DD or ramp....

If you think that full equipment at the school is bad you should try when you jump into an ex, and you find out the real meaning of full equipment...

Just curious what beara55 is? Also a DD? and my guess is "ramp" is just running out the back of the herc?

Andrew :bullet: :cdn: :bullet:

Beara55 is a jump with no equipment, Double Door is both doors on the side of the aircraft is used. Inboard/Outboard is the aircraft has the seats installed in the middle as well as the outside wall. The aircraft is full.

Drez,
Recce41‘s got good info. The Easiest way is to get to 3 RCR or 3 PPCLI, work your butt off and prove yourself, then they will be happy to send you. It‘ll usually take 2-3 yrs and after if your good, you may get to the Para companies.As for jumping, either you like it or you don‘t.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Airborne

Army Medic
Welcome aboard, See your from Pet. Another one from the Base of Chose. I‘m fighting to get back.

hello... excellent forum..
I just recieved a job offer as an infantryman in the RCR and I will be sucking up Basic Recruit Training in mid June. I‘m excited and training hard to be in the best shape when I arrive.
Does the Canadian military have dog tags? Just wondering.. and also.. does anyone know the proceedure for getting airborne? they said that after battle school you just have to keep asking for the course. Also I was told that the 3rd Battalion of each Regiment is has an airborne company. When are you assigned a battalion, and if you are in the 3rd, does it make it easier to be selected for a jump course? Do you have any say as to what battalion you are assigned to? My enrollment day is coming up so I will ask all these questions then, but I would appreciate a heads up by anyone out there.. Thank‘s :warstory:

Civilian, so take it for what it‘s worth...

We use dog tags.

I believe each battalion has a jump company, not just the 3rd.

Each infantry battalion doesn‘t have jump capabilities. Usually A coy, 3rd battalion is the jump company, and there are just the 3 jump companies in the CF.

You should ask Doug; he‘s in A coy, 3RCR... he‘ll have a lot of good info for you, he‘s the moderator of this forum, and will probably be willing to answer some questions.

thanks for the replies. .
what is a coy though... is that a part of the 3rd battallion, or is the whole 3rd battallion airborne?
also . . do the dog tags have rubber around the edges of them?
thanks again..

A Company(Coy) of 3PPCLI and 3R22er are Airborne Companies. Para Coy is 3RCR‘s Airborne Company. The whole battalion is not airborne, however a large number of us are.
Canadian dogtags aren‘t like American ones at all. There‘s no rubber and it‘s all one piece. If you have to remove "half" for any reason (god forbid) you simply break in half along the perforation...

Thanks for the reply..
so could i request 3RCR.. would that give me a better chance at getting to take the basic parachuter course?
and how hard is it to get into?
I‘m really happy to be offered a position with the RCR‘s. I hear they are the best.

Back