• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to help husband back from Afghanistan

justawife

Inactive
Reaction score
As a wife (7 years and 3 tours) what is the best way to help my husband who has just returned from Afghan? He was in a FOB the last 4 months and saw alot as well did alot. He has some anger issues as expected. He is infantry and will remain infantry so please don't suggest he OT. We have children and even they see a difference. He is not opposed to seeking help but he doesn't wish for it to reflect on his record either. He is going back to Afghan.
As a wife do I shut up and put up? I just want to know from others what is the best course of action and what I can do best to help him. I totally support him in his choosen field and I support him returning to Afghan even though it is hard. I am just reaching out for others who have been there or who have gone through it and can advise me. I don't know the base mental health system all that well. 

A good place would be to have your Husband speak to someone from OSISS.

There is no harm or shame, and it should not affect his career.

What will affect him, is if he is suffering from an OSI, and he takes a turn for the worst.  This can be a danger to himself and those around him, whether at home or operationally.

Good luck, and turn him on to the site.

dileas

tess

In 1 VP, we intend to re-conduct the Reintegration briefings on 24/25 Oct, on the theory that now everyone is home, the briefs may help to confirm the various approachs and avenues out there to help sort through it all.  Hopefully you will be able to attend one of the briefings.

PPCLI Guy said:
In 1 VP, we intend to re-conduct the Reintegration briefings on 24/25 Oct, on the theory that now everyone is home, the briefs may help to confirm the various approachs and avenues out there to help sort through it all.  Hopefully you will be able to attend one of the briefings.

actually husband is 2vp and he volunteered to go with 1vp to Afghan (Jan-Aug./06). He trained with you all in Wainwright last year. I don't know of any reintegration briefings here yet but he still on leave. Thank you though for your posting.

You can try calling the CF assistance program, its free counsling and the forces will not know about it.

1-800-268-7708

Back