• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to iron DEU's??

While one may not care if we're talking about DEU's, you may want to heed this piece of advice when you start buying your own nice business suits for that big corporate office job I know we all want...

DRY CLEANING IS MURDER TO CLOTHING!

At most it should be done twice a year.  Any more, and it is rapidly damaging the garments, reducing the lifespan of said clothing vestments.

Instead of dry cleaning, good wool suits (and DEUs) should be PRESSED.  This can be done at a dry cleaner's, you just have to specify that the garment NOT be cleaned.  Of course, if it is dirty or stained, by all means, get it dry cleaned, but this should be done as sparingly as possible.

Luckily, I can count on one hand the number of times I wear DEU's in a year, so it's not a problem.

But in my line of work, I may have to attend court and represent the Crown as a witness, and my suits need regular care.  I only own three, so I have to constantly cycle them and keep them in good order (unlike my DEUs which spent most of the year piled under musty clothes in my moth-ridden closet).  PRESSING is preferred when the clothes will be worn relatively often.  If you dry clean them too much, the seams will start to come apart over time, and a good suit will be ruined.

Suits should last well over 20 years with proper care.

Hope that helps!

back in the days of tans and greens, each uni only got drycleaned once a year, after the last wearing of the year. Then it sat in plastic. A tumble with a static sheet (cheap dollar store ones are best)  and press with a lint free pressing cloth.  Maybe hang them in a steamy bathroom for 10 mins if heavily creased. Only exception the mens mess food fight, err, dinner at X-mas.

CHIMO, Kat

Back