• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to Maintain Skills and Unit Cohesion while on PRes Shutdown

daftandbarmy said:
We're doing this tomorrow 'militia' night: Bergans, then burgers and beer. After all, you don't want to give the wife the impression that you're available all of a sudden on a night you've reserved for the mo!

Very good point!  We certainly don't want them getting used to the idea.  :whistle:

Technoviking said:
Wonderbread:
That is an outstanding way to both enjoy the movie and to get some useful thinking out of it!

As for which era/which movie, hell, almost any movie with even a semi-military theme would suffice.  Hell, as I once heard about BMOQ-L, which uses the section to teach leadership, that Intergalactic tactics could be used.  Leadership is leadership. 

Every movie that realistically depicts a past military action is good for military thought - our group often watched 'Zulu', covering the British battle against Zulu warriors at Roarke's Drift in 1879 in South Africa.  The enemy and weapons may be different, but a lot of battle considerations still ring true...

Can anyone inform/direct me to a full list on the rules and regulations of Reservists concerning their equipment and uniforms off-duty and off the premises of a DND building?

I used the search function and read about people going to hockey games in CADPAT but I could have sworn I read somewhere it was illegal for reservists to do such a thing in uniform.

Also, if a reservist goes camping can he use his sleeping bag, canteens, rucksack?

What if he goes camping on a non-paid camping trip with buddies from the unit?

Are they also allowed to wear uniform and/or other equipment during "fun" nights for the unit at something like air soft? I see civilians doing it all the time (with the CADPAT tac vest too) but are military personnel allowed?

I would really just like to find out about these rules and regulations but I can't find them online or on this website or at any DND website.

I don't want to go hiking one day with my rucksack and be stopped by someone.

Technoviking said:
And for God's sake: stay away from these guys!

All the reading I do, I still cannot quite understand who those guys are, or for that matter what they do exactly.

it looks like a rather silly fan club from over here.

Dean22 said:
Can anyone inform/direct me to a full list on the rules and regulations of Reservists concerning their equipment and uniforms off-duty and off the premises of a DND building?

I used the search function and read about people going to hockey games in CADPAT but I could have sworn I read somewhere it was illegal for reservists to do such a thing in uniform.

Also, if a reservist goes camping can he use his sleeping bag, canteens, rucksack?

What if he goes camping on a non-paid camping trip with buddies from the unit?

Are they also allowed to wear uniform and/or other equipment during "fun" nights for the unit at something like air soft? I see civilians doing it all the time (with the CADPAT tac vest too) but are military personnel allowed?

I would really just like to find out about these rules and regulations but I can't find them online or on this website or at any DND website.

I don't want to go hiking one day with my rucksack and be stopped by someone.

Dean22

You will be taught all of that on your BMQ, BMQ (L) and by your unit NCOs and officers.  In a nutshell, you are authorized to use your military kit and wear your uniform ONLY for authorized CF training and duties.  You are not authorized to wear your uniform, for instance, to go hunting with your buddies.  You are not authorized to wear your uniform to go to a party or Clubing, nor as a costume.

A couple of relevant quotes from the dress regs:

"38. Reserve Force. Members of the Reserve Force shall not wear uniform except when:
a. on duty, or proceeding to or from their place of duty;
b. attending a military function or ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate; or
c. Reserve Force members on Class C employment are deemed to be in the Regular Force."

"47. Visible civilian items of apparel shall not be worn by members with any uniform, except where specifically authorized in these instructions.  Conversely, items of uniform shall not be worn with civilian attire, except for accessories and garments (e.g., top-coat, raincoat, gloves, scarf and footwear) which do not include any CF insignia and by themselves do not explicitly identify the wearer as a member of the CF."

Dean22- For all that's said above, with regards to throwing your ruck on and going for a hike, in practice you should never have any trouble with that unless you're making an ass of yourself and making it clear that you're in the military while you're doing it. I've thrown my ruck on and gone out for a hike along the river plenty of times. PT on your own time is encouraged.

With that said, you shouldn't be throwing on your issued kit for airsoft, or wearing your small pack to school or whatnot. People do it, but that doesn't make it right.

So now that that tangent is taken care of, let's move back to what this thread is supposed to be about.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Indoor rock climbing may not be entirely relevant to skills, but should help with team building. While it's an individual sport, there are many ways to make it a team exercise or competitive event depending on what you're shooting for.

Tape game: Each person takes turns clearing a route. As they go up, they tape off one of the holds - no cheating, you can't tape a hold after you've used it on the way up. The last person able to successfully scale the route without touching a taped off hold is the winner.

Climb blind: Pair up and discuss the best way up your route. One person will be the climber, the other the guide. Blindfold the climber, get him to the first hold, and let the guide talk the climber through the climb. This one is generally done as a timed event to promote good communication and listening skills, as well as trust. Switch roles, then record the combined time. The pair with the lowest time wins.

Many gyms offer group rates, and if no one is qualified, you can generally arrange some instruction as well. This is a good blend of flexibility and strength conditioning, as well as team building and problem solving skills that may be useful for killing some downtime.

Again, I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if this activity is inappropriate.

VIChris, welcome, and not to worry, the idea you suggested is totally appropriate and in fact sounds like a good one.

Back