• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to pack a rucksack

Mack674 said:
Well excuse me super commando, I apologize for my misconception.   ::)

Actually your not the one to apologize. I am the one to apologize for my comment. Just hate the fact when people put words in my mouth. Anyway have a great weekend.

"I have more than 2 days in the field.
A member made a statement that I only had 2 days."

I didn't read that anywhere.

ARMYboi69 said:
Ah yes, as I see.   However, why would it be below the veleece?   I've never seen any diagram or set up differently.

I would guess that there is wealth of information out there that you have not seen, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT IN THE ARMY!!

The position of the thermarest is according to the wearers preference whilst in the field, or the course staff's preference (you can guess which takes precedence) in garrison, there should be a standardised layout that all troops adhere to, usually implemented by the course senior, or the course staff, some units provide a binder with color photos of the expected standard.

To wrap this one up, it was a dumb question that got alot of dumb answers. (and yes, I realise that I helped to create this monster)

I have my first rucksack march tomrow and my CO has not told me what to bring. what do i need to carry on my besides my valice filled with my sleeping bags, liner and bug netting.

first of all you don't need your bug netting! it's winter. Also i have never used that yet. Just pack it like a normal weekend ex remember if you pack light you are only hurting yourself in the long run

Pack what you usually would for going out over night, so combats, boots, socks, your fleece...Just stuff it full of kit.

I'd say yes, but it depends on how far your going and how physically fit you are,  if the rucksack march isn't long and you in good shape go for lots of weight and give yourself a challenge, but if you not to fit, then try starting off with only a little weight then work your way up

Below is what we first put in our rucksacks on my basic:

Valice
- sleeping bag inner
- sleeping bag outer
- ranger blanket
- bug net
- wash basin

Main Compartment
- 1x combat jacket
- 1x combat shirt
- 1x combat pants
- 1x combat t-shirt
- 1x underwear
- 2x socks
- 1x boots
- 1x shave kit

Attached to Outside
- helmet
- camelback/extra water

Extra
- rifle
- webbing packed full of the usual stuff

As far as I can remember, that is what we started out with. As we did more rucksack marches we put more crap in and walked a little further. Sometimes out troop warrent felt a little gung ho and replaced all our kit with a few sandbags.

Also, what RHFC say is right. Start with what you are comfortable with then work your way up in distance and weight. In no time at all you will be marching 50 km carrying your fireteam partner in you rucksack. ;D Just whatever you do NEVER show up for a rucksack march with an empty rucksack or else you will learn very quickly how heavy sand is. Trust me it's heavy.

about the shave kit i wasnt issued one so what am i supposed to, just throw in a razor and some shaving cream into a satchel and carry it in my pack.

there are 1001 packing lists, depending on unit and season

Here is 2 Fd Amb BFT Rucksack packing list.

2. a. RUCKSACK:
Left Pouch:
(1) Boot cleaning kit
(2) Sewing Kit
(3) Spare laces (CBT BOOTS)
(4) Air mattress repair Kit
Right Pouch:
(1) Rain Pants
Centre Front Pouch:
(1) EMPTY
Main Compartment:
(1) Plate and Cup in Holder
(2) IECS Cbt Shirt
(3) IECS Cbt Pants
(4) Towel Bath
(5) 2 pairs (ea) of green and
black socks
(6) Undershirt Khaki x 2
(7) Underpants Khaki x 2
(8) Shaving Kit
(9) KFS Holder and KFS
(10) Cbt Gloves
b. Valise
(1) Sleeping Bag Inner
(2) Sleeping Bag Liner
(3) Wash Basin
(4) Gortex Sleeping Bag Liner

2 Fd Amb winter ruck:
2. MARCHING ORDER:
Consist of Fighting Order and
the fol stowed in/on rucksack:
a. Valise
(1) Sleeping Bag Inner and Outer
(2) Sleeping Bag Liner
(3) Sleeping Bag Hood
(4) Ground Sheet
(5) Pers camouflage net
(6) Wash basin w/personal
hygiene kit as required.
(7) Hand Towel
(8) Gortex Sleeping Bag Liner
(9) Air Mattress and carrier Outside

b. Rucksack containing:
Left Pouch:
(1) Boot cleaning kit / Sewing Kit
(2) Arctic Candle / 25 Ft of White rope
(3) Spare laces Cbt and Mucklucks
(4) Air mattress repair Kit
Right Pouch:
(1) Spare insoles Mesh and Felt
Centre Front Pouch:
(1) Reserved for Rations
Main Compartment:
(1) Plate; Cup and KFS
(2) IECS Thermal shirt
(3) IECS Thermal Pants
(4) Towel Bath
(5) 2 pairs (ea) of green and
black socks
(6) IECS Fleece Top
(7) IECS Fleece Bottom
(8) Wool Socks (1 pr)
(9) IECS Cbt Pants if not worn or
Wind Pants if not worn.
(10) * Helmet if not worn

pte_litvinchuk said:
about the shave kit i wasnt issued one so what am i supposed to, just throw in a razor and some shaving cream into a satchel and carry it in my pack.

don't worry about it for tomorrow, but yes.

get shaving kit, tooth brush, etc. There is another thread in here somewhere about it.

Marching order, hum you supposed to take and what you do take is two different things.

Remember what you pack you carry!

Weight means everything, the less the better.

Cheers,

Wes

PS: Even here I use a  CF 1982 ptrn ruck and valise to hold my stuff in, and its all very light. If you seen the Aussie issue rucks, you would understand why.

Cheers,

Wes

No minimum weights?

We just get a minimum weight, less water. You can fill it with bricks or feathers, but it better be the specified weight!

GO!!! said:
No minimum weights?

We just get a minimum weight, less water. You can fill it with bricks or feathers, but it better be the specified weight!
Two X sandbags, Hessian type, (filled to the top).
Yep, that aounds about right...

When we do our CFA's (15 km of scenic foxtrot) yes there is a weight mininum, but when its for real, what you pack is what you carry. Overflow is placed in an echelon bag which is NOT carried, but in your ASLAV along with your swag.

Cheers,

Wes

pte_litvinchuk said:
I have my first rucksack march tomrow and my CO has not told me what to bring. what do i need to carry on my besides my valice filled with my sleeping bags, liner and bug netting.

Just had another read at this. Bug netting? Its winter up there. CO? Why would your CO tell you what to bring? What about regimental SOPs, generic kit lists for such activities within your Coy/Sqn. This should all be listed in an annex to your Ex instruction. My CO commands a full on regiment and he has much more important things on his mind than telling soldiers what to pack in their rucks.

Regards,

Wes

pte_litvinchuk said:

"Bug Netting" in this weather? HAHAHA, just made my day! Reminds me when I was a Reservist recruit and we had to bring everything and I mean EVERYTHING we were given to the Armoury every single time we showed up during the year before the QL3 031. Not only was it a pain in the a** but a complete waste of time. We figured that the recruit staff just didn't like us and wanted us to as miserable as possible on our weekly excursions on Public Transport carrying our households with us but lesson learned: "Patience is a virtue...or vice if you lose it". 

Back