• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How VAC Gets Clients Upset with Poorly Staffed Responses

kadrury86 said:
Similar issue here. I sent my stuff into VAC for my mental health disorder in the beginning of the fall. I realize that may not seem like that long ago but with the waiting process that is like forever ago. The 16 week deadline is going to hit on March the 9th. Ive used the message center a few times to get info about the wait times but I never get a straight answer. I called in today to find out and all I got as an answer is there is a back log.  I'm not looking for the money. I'm just looking for help with the cost of my prescriptions. As of right now I am paying close to $150 out of pocket for my medications right now waiting for VAC to make a decision. It is very frustrated.  :mad:

Sadly these are the times we live in, no excuse mind you. I'm in a similar situation, getting treatment and keeping rec'ts but there are some whom are hell bent on spewing we're all in it for money. Not always the case. Not easy being patient and it serves no purpose to get irate on the phone when you call querying. Good luck in your (our) wait and hope it rules in your favor.

I was in the VAC office this fall for the first time. I was greeted with printed signs in every room and on most doors I had access to, warning that inappropriate, aggressive, loud actions or or expressions would not be tolerated. (paraphrased) I was stunned to observe the need for a workplace to feel it needs to advertise such warnings to the customers they serve.  I left feeling very much an Us vs. Them experience.

When I started this thread I have to admit I was not expecting this much discussion. But there is one observation I would like to make. Setti ng aside all discussion of the NVC, DVA has serious problems in a couple of areas. Firstly they need a  bottom to top mapping of aĺl their client driven processes. Secondly they need to improve the training of all thier staff that interact with clients.

To clarify the first Point is that they need to examine how their process actually works from both a dollar efficiency as well as actual effectiveness. Far too many of their procedures require too many people to touch a "work item" too many times.

In the second point I wish to make is that there are many excellent client service officers at DVA and there are many who either lack detailed information or are not willing to share what they know.

I have experienced both sides.

I will have to put this aside for at least a week as my open heart surgery is tomorrow.

I wish all of you well and will be back in a few weeks care of the Gods and a good surgical team.

kratz said:
I was in the VAC office this fall for the first time. I was greeted with printed signs in every room and on most doors I had access to, warning that inappropriate, aggressive, loud actions or or expressions would not be tolerated. (paraphrased) I was stunned to observe the need for a workplace to feel it needs to advertise such warnings to the customers they serve.  I left feeling very much an Us vs. Them experience.

CFSU Ottawa has the same thing.  So does clothing stores I believe.  Saw the same sign at the service Ontario office I recently went to get my health card and drivers licence. 

Having served in a client service environment I can see what at times, signs like that are needed.

I will have to put this aside for at least a week as my open heart surgery is tomorrow.

I wish all of you well and will be back in a few weeks care of the Gods and a good surgical team.
[/quote]

Good luck and a speedy recovery.!    :salute:

good luck with that. Hope to see you back healthy soon!

All of this whining from VAC about understaffing is sheer nonsense. Australia deals with double the number of veterans, with approximately half the number of staff. The UK, with more programs and far higher levels of veteran compensation, uses one half of the number of staff that VAC has, and administers the needs of over 4 times the number of veterans.  The Australians and the UK spend a hell of a lot more money on their veterans, not the bureaucrats. Even the US  No surprise there. The ratio of veterans to bureaucrat is as follows:
US - 82 to 1
UK - 428 to 1
AUS - 196 to 1
CAN - 59 to 1

Click on the link, these are VAC compiled figures.....................Overworked..........pffffft.....

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/reports/departmental-audit-evaluation/2009-12-nvc/4-4

So I called VACs main line today. When I spoke to VAC I was asked if I wanted to be addressed by my rank as this is a new implementation they are offering clients. I declined. I'm guessing this is a way to respect service members more?

Consider, some applications are made while still serving, the offer to use rank makes sense.

Back