• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I dislike RMC

NewSki

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a first-year engineering student at RMC, and I dislike it.

For a bit of context, I graduated high school a few years ago and turned down offers from civilian universities because of covid and online schooling. After working and saving some money, I decided I wanted to apply to become a pilot in the CAF. I thought the military's subsidized education was the best way to provide a stable career (especially in a volatile industry like aviation) while also obtaining a degree. I pursued some flight training after high school and enjoyed it quite a bit.

If I hadn't been accepted into the CAF as a pilot I likely would not have joined, and instead pursued my commercial license (and ideally a degree) on the civilian side. My gripe about the college is not with regard to academics, I actually enjoy my classes. It's about the other expectations set on the students. Room inspections, drill practice, and weekend activities all subtract time that I could be using to study. There have been days where I have had room inspections or ruck marches followed by midterms. I would love to learn French and look forward to intramural sports but when I'm trying to stay on top of exams, labs, or homework it becomes difficult to juggle everything. If I could focus solely on my academics until I complete my degree, I think I'd be in a better spot mentally. I'm told to manage my time better, but there are only so many hours I can work with and I think I'm managing my time the best I can.

I don't think I would consider changing degrees since I enjoy the classes, but RMC's extracurriculars interfere with the demanding academic workload I have. A lot of days what keeps me motivated is the end goal but I just wish I was able to enjoy the journey a bit more, and 3 years seems like a long time to be in an environment (RMC, not the CAF) I don't enjoy.

I know it's just venting but hopefully someone will be able to offer a little clarity or insight on my situation. I would appreciate it a lot.

You should have went ROTP Civy U. 😉 But don’t listen to me, I got my BA and then joined the Navy.

You should have went ROTP Civy U. 😉 But don’t listen to me, I got my BA and then joined the Navy.
Yeah I wish lol, and I should have pressed the recruiter about it more. From what I understand ROTP civilian uni is pretty rare nowadays. I was strongly considering direct entry but the mandatory service is the same for pilots afterwards.

Hey everyone,

For a bit of context, I graduated high school a few years ago and turned down offers from civilian universities because of covid and online schooling. After working and saving some money, I decided I wanted to apply to become a pilot in the CAF. I thought the military's subsidized education was the best way to provide a stable career (especially in a volatile industry like aviation) while also obtaining a degree. I pursued some flight training after high school and enjoyed it quite a bit.

If I hadn't been accepted into the CAF as a pilot I likely would not have joined, and instead pursued my commercial license (and ideally a degree) on the civilian side. My gripe about the college is not with regard to academics, I actually enjoy my classes. It's about the other expectations set on the students. Room inspections, drill practice, and weekend activities all subtract time that I could be using to study. There have been days where I have had room inspections or ruck marches followed by midterms. I would love to learn French and look forward to intramural sports but when I'm trying to stay on top of exams, labs, or homework it becomes difficult to juggle everything. If I could focus solely on my academics until I complete my degree, I think I'd be in a better spot mentally. I'm told to manage my time better, but there are only so many hours I can work with and I think I'm managing my time the best I can.

I don't think I would consider changing degrees since I enjoy the classes, but RMC's extracurriculars interfere with the demanding academic workload I have. A lot of days what keeps me motivated is the end goal but I just wish I was able to enjoy the journey a bit more, and 3 years seems like a long time to be in an environment (RMC, not the CAF) I don't enjoy.

I know it's just venting but hopefully someone will be able to offer a little clarity or insight on my situation. I would appreciate it a lot.

Not to be unduly blunt, but your choice of university was secondary to your choice of career. You joined the military, through a program that pays you (and makes pension contributions to boot) to attend a military academy that kicks you out the other end with a pretty decent degree, and a very secure career with built-in growth if you don’t screw it up. But yes, this comes at the expense of some pretty heavy military acculturation. That’s part and parcel of how CAF takes 17 year olds and sends them out into the adult world in instant command (with everything that entails) of experienced soldiers and NCOs.

FWIW, my understanding has been that the suck should ramp down a fair bit after first year, and in your summers you’ll actually get to do military training and employment.

It’s fine to gripe a bit, but get it out and then carry on. You’ve chosen one of those paths where the only way through it is through it. The rewards out the other end are quite good.

That really isn't an option anymore (barring occupations requiring academic programs not taught at RMC, such as Nursing Officer), and hasn't been for several years. Very very rare at the least.

Hey everyone,

Dude,

If I could survive 4 years at RMC than you'll surely be fine. All you need to remember is that the only thing that truly matters is Academics, take the other stuff seriously but not TOO seriously.

Spend the minimum amount of time preparing for things like inspections and focus your energy on things you actually like doing.

Also, first year at the school sucks, it gets better in the latter years.

You know he's a prospective RCAF Pilot right ?

So ya... Maybe making inflicting Army on people isn't the right move.
You know what a sense of humour is, right?
So ya... Maybe read where I said military bullshit, not army.

Hey everyone,

If it's any consolation, yours is a familiar predicament amongst many of your predecessors who have taken the Queen's shilling. Perhaps a bit of poetry might help ;)

The 'eathen​

The 'eathen in 'is blindness bows down to wood an' stone;
'E don't obey no orders unless they is 'is own;
'E keeps 'is side-arms awful: 'e leaves 'em all about,
An' then comes up the Regiment an' pokes the 'eathen out.

All along o' dirtiness, all along o' mess,
All along o' doin' things rather-more-or-less,
All along of abby-nay, kul, an' hazar-ho,
Mind you keep your rifle an' yourself jus' so!

The young recruit is 'aughty -- 'e draf's from Gawd knows where;
They bid 'im show 'is stockin's an' lay 'is mattress square;
'E calls it bloomin' nonsense -- 'e doesn't know, no more --
An' then up comes 'is Company an'kicks'im round the floor!

The young recruit is 'ammered -- 'e takes it very hard;
'E 'angs 'is 'ead an' mutters -- 'e sulks about the yard;
'E talks o' "cruel tyrants" which 'e'll swing for by-an'-by,
An' the others 'ears an' mocks 'im, an' the boy goes orf to cry.

That really isn't an option anymore (barring occupations requiring academic programs not taught at RMC, such as Nursing Officer), and hasn't been for several years. Very very rare at the least.
Why is that?

Interesting how the Deschamps report recommended getting rid of RMC, and CAF doubles down and pushes enrollment into it vice ROTP.

For an organization that goes on about flexibility and increasing throughput, we've been awesome about eliminating training paths, like ROTP civi U and the various trade colleges.

Queens and RMC I cant see any conflict there lol

The only people that pick on RMC Cadets more than Queens students are the Townies.

Last edited:
Queens and RMC I cant see any conflict there lol

The only people to pick on RMC Cadets more than Queens students are the Townies.
Oh but those Femnazis at Queen's are secretly just begging to roll around naked wearing the pillbox on their head!

Why is that?

Interesting how the Deschamps report recommended getting rid of RMC, and CAF doubles down and pushes enrollment into it vice ROTP.

For an organization that goes on about flexibility and increasing throughput, we've been awesome about eliminating training paths, like ROTP civi U and the various trade colleges.

I still maintain that we’ll be able to believe in meaningful change in CAF when RMC begins to offer a four year Bachelor of Arts in Human Resources.

Back