• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I dislike RMC

I include you as townies lol

Townies aren't encouraged by the Base Chief to "educate" the "kids at Kindergarten" when they're acting like idiots when they're occasionally released into the wild.

I remember having to collar a lad at the CANEX and tell him to keep the swears to a minimum, as the Staff was not impressed. Apparently a Sgt telling you not to be an idiot in public wasn't enough to get him to stop, so the Major behind me in line was composing a nice email to his Sqn Comd instead.

FAFO and all that...

No we just used to drag them in to the A&P Parking lot beside Stages and steal their funny hats lol
Education takes on many forms... I too have had to take a hands on approach in my younger years with some First Years that swung first before thinking....

Townies aren't encouraged by the Base Chief to "educate" the "kids at Kindergarten" when they're acting like idiots when they're occasionally released into the wild.

I remember having to collar a lad at the CANEX and tell him to keep the swears to a minimum, as the Staff was not impressed. Apparently a Sgt telling you not to be an idiot in public wasn't enough to get him to stop, so the Major behind me in line was composing a nice email to his Sqn Comd instead.

FAFO and all that...
There is no difference between RMC Cadets and any other young adult, young and occasionally dumb is the name of the game!

I remember back before there was the Fieldhouse Dome there was a gigantic gravel parking lot. I thought it was incredibly entertaining and funny to go do gigantic doughnuts and kick up dust storms with my Ford Ranger in the parking lot.

The Base Commander, who happened to be out for a walk one day, did not find it as amusing 😄

There is no difference between RMC Cadets and any other young adult, young and occasionally dumb is the name of the game!

I remember back before there was the Fieldhouse Dome there was a gigantic gravel parking lot. I thought it was incredibly entertaining and funny to go do gigantic doughnuts and kick up dust storms with my Ford Ranger in the parking lot.

The Base Commander, who happened to be out for a walk one day, did not find it as amusing 😄
Non-RMC is far more anonymous though, and they aren't getting paid to go to school. Even out of uniform it (maybe used to be prior to hairforgen) it is really easy to spot them.

The ones that were coming to do their OJT were kind of embarassing though, it seemed like the first time they started to have actual freedom and expectations to just act like adults without being babysat. Most were fine, some still required 'guidance'.

I miss my little Ranger. She was a great lil truck.

Like how the Militia Mafia fights rationalizing the Militia? Too many well connected fossils with fond memories of dalliance's with Queen Gals to shut that waste of money down.
Nice whataboutism.

The MilCols should have been shut down a long time ago....but almost all of the decision makers over the last half century or more are products of said institutions.

#VMI

The MilCols should have been shut down a long time ago....but almost all of the decision makers over the last half century or more are products of said institutions.
I crunched the numbers once, and by my count 10 of the 19 Chiefs of Defence Staff were MilCol grads. That’s hardly a monopoly over 50 years. What I found even more interesting is that 8 out of the last 12, and 5 out of the last 5 CDS, have been MilCol. Conversely, the military college system generated only 2 of the first 7 CDS (Sharp and Withers).

We sometimes talk about RMC and the other military colleges having dominated the higher echelons of CAF decision making since ancient times. In reality, the real rise to power seemed to have happened in the 1980’s. It really isn’t that deeply ingrained —so it can be changed.

I will be blunter. More beholden to that institution than THE institution, and will sacrifice the latter to protect the former.
At the lower levels in the 70s and 80s similar shit happened within the regiments. Loyalty to the Regiment was paramount!!!

Hey everyone,

I'm a first-year engineering student at RMC, and I dislike it.

For a bit of context, I graduated high school a few years ago and turned down offers from civilian universities because of covid and online schooling. After working and saving some money, I decided I wanted to apply to become a pilot in the CAF. I thought the military's subsidized education was the best way to provide a stable career (especially in a volatile industry like aviation) while also obtaining a degree. I pursued some flight training after high school and enjoyed it quite a bit.

If I hadn't been accepted into the CAF as a pilot I likely would not have joined, and instead pursued my commercial license (and ideally a degree) on the civilian side. My gripe about the college is not with regard to academics, I actually enjoy my classes. It's about the other expectations set on the students. Room inspections, drill practice, and weekend activities all subtract time that I could be using to study. There have been days where I have had room inspections or ruck marches followed by midterms. I would love to learn French and look forward to intramural sports but when I'm trying to stay on top of exams, labs, or homework it becomes difficult to juggle everything. If I could focus solely on my academics until I complete my degree, I think I'd be in a better spot mentally. I'm told to manage my time better, but there are only so many hours I can work with and I think I'm managing my time the best I can.

I don't think I would consider changing degrees since I enjoy the classes, but RMC's extracurriculars interfere with the demanding academic workload I have. A lot of days what keeps me motivated is the end goal but I just wish I was able to enjoy the journey a bit more, and 3 years seems like a long time to be in an environment (RMC, not the CAF) I don't enjoy.

I know it's just venting but hopefully someone will be able to offer a little clarity or insight on my situation. I would appreciate it a lot.
First year RMC is a slog, especially for engineering students. Unless you need the engineering degree for your occupation and/or future civilian employment ambitions, you may considering switching to business admin or similar. Many people do. There's no shame in that...and honestly, those folks who do so seem to get the most out of their 'RMC experience'. My wife and I are both RMC grads; I was an arts man and she was an engineering student. In my third and fourth year I had lots of spares in my schedule to sleep, go to the gym, or pursue other interests. I think she had one spare in her schedule in fourth year after getting her BBB profile. I definatly had more fun as an arts man. / Good luck with your journey!

Last edited:
Nice whataboutism.

#VMI
I'm in no way defending RMC. There is a Prairie sized herd of sacred Cows in the CAF, and RMC (and CMR) are the lead cows.

Why is that?

Interesting how the Deschamps report recommended getting rid of RMC, and CAF doubles down and pushes enrollment into it vice ROTP.

For an organization that goes on about flexibility and increasing throughput, we've been awesome about eliminating training paths, like ROTP civi U and the various trade colleges.
The reason ROTP Civvie U is largely no longer offered (main exceptions being certain health services trades) is because the CAF simply has no shortage of DEO applicants, and there is little to no benefit for the institution to hire officers through ROTP Civvie U versus DEO... ROTP students certainly increase the percentage of a trade's strength that is on the BTL.

If the CAF were to close down RMC and CMR, it would likely be replaced by increased DEO hiring, not ROTP Civvie U.

Snowbirds? 130 Reserve infantry regiments?
The Snowbirds don’t charge the taxpayer $100 million a year for something they might be able to get for free (through DEO).

The reserve units point is a valid one, though. Heritage buildings don’t maintain themselves.

Back