• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I don't know what to do now?

OblivionKnight

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I applied to the Canadian Forces in April 2012 for the Pilot and AEC trades. From that time until now, I have completed all the application steps (CFAT, Medical, Interview, etc.) and went to Aircrew Selection in Trenton a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I did not pass (but it was a great experience, and now I am 100% certain that a career in the Armed Forces is for me). I subsequently went to my local CFRC Toronto to apply to another trade, but was told that there was no opening and that I could apply for an NCM trade, otherwise my file will be closed in 30 days. I was also told that I could call every now and then to ask if there was an opening for the trades I am interested in (Artillery Officer, Armoured Officer, Infantry Officer).

My question is, when could there be an opening for these trades? I have asked some personnel at the CFRC and was given differing responses. One told me that they are closed for the year and will re-open in March, whereas someone else mentioned that they can open up at any time and that I should keep calling to check.

In addition, I have read that it is not so easy to transfer from an NCM to CM trade even if I hold a degree. Regardless, do you think I should consider this route for "getting a foot in the door"?

Also, if my file is closed, would the CFAT, Medical, Interview, Background check have to be repeated?

Thank you

My file was closed and I had to reapply the following year. I only had to redo the interview. The medical was still good because it was within 12 months.

OblivionKnight said:
...My question is, when could there be an opening for these trades? I have asked some personnel at the CFRC and was given differing responses. One told me that they are closed for the year and will re-open in March, whereas someone else mentioned that they can open up at any time and that I should keep calling to check.

...Regardless, do you think I should consider this route for "getting a foot in the door"?

Also, if my file is closed, would the CFAT, Medical, Interview, Background check have to be repeated?

Thank you

It's helpful that they advised you to check back from time to time regarding trade availability. Unfortunately, yes, openings can vary greatly across the board.

Although doing what needs to be done to simply "get a foot in the door" has worked well for some, it seems the majority of comments around the site from serving/past-serving members advise against taking this approach. I've read that transferring can have its complications and can be very lengthy, IF the request is even approved. Should you decide to go this route, it's been strongly suggested to choose an alternative trade that you can see yourself enjoying.

I've been going through the recruiting process for close to two years. During that time I have only needed to update my medical and did a quick update-interview because of a change to the process. I have been told that the CFAT and TSDPI will not need to be re-done regardless of whether or not my file closes.

Yup, your "other" three choices are NOT available.  Given the fact that you were unsuccessful at ASC, I believe that you must now wait at least 12 months before requesting a second attempt.  I think that the only DEO Offr positions that may be available right now are EME, Engr and Sigs.

Other than that, nothing is going to open up this year.

BeyondTheNow said:
It's helpful that they advised you to check back from time to time regarding trade availability. Unfortunately, yes, openings can vary greatly across the board.

Although doing what needs to be done to simply "get a foot in the door" has worked well for some, it seems the majority of comments around the site from serving/past-serving members advise against taking this approach. I've read that transferring can have its complications and can be very lengthy, IF the request is even approved. Should you decide to go this route, it's been strongly suggested to choose an alternative trade that you can see yourself enjoying.

I've been going through the recruiting process for close to two years. During that time I have only needed to update my medical and did a quick update-interview because of a change to the process. I have been told that the CFAT and TSDPI will not need to be re-done regardless of whether or not my file closes.

In light of what you mentioned, I think I'll just sit tight for now and re-apply in a few months when officer selection opens again. I was afraid that I would have to repeat the whole application process again which would take a long time, but since it's only the medical and interview it's not too bad.

DAA said:
Yup, your "other" three choices are NOT available.  Given the fact that you were unsuccessful at ASC, I believe that you must now wait at least 12 months before requesting a second attempt.  I think that the only DEO Offr positions that may be available right now are EME, Engr and Sigs.

Other than that, nothing is going to open up this year.

Yes you're right, I would have to wait 12 months to attempt ASC again. I have a degree in Life Sciences, so I'm pretty much limited to the Operational Trades such as ACSO, AEC, Pilot, MARS, Armoured, Artillery, and Infantry.

Thank you all for the responses, it has helped me tremendously.

Back