• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I don't look good on paper, I need advice

GRAHAM23

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 21 years old and currently working on my paperwork to join the reserves, I want to work as a vehicle technician in the reserves. My problem is my employment history is pretty shaky aswell as I haven't "technically" graduated highschool yet even though I have over 110 credits (currently working on finishing my last course that completes the Alberta requirements).

In the past I have been somewhat LAZY. And even though I have held down jobs for well over a year I always end up getting lazy and being fired for tardiness even though I do my job well.

The result of this is I could list my employment history (working at dealerships mostly as a lube guy) but they would be TERRIBLE references seeing as I've been fired from every job I've had. For the past 6 months I haven't worked at all because truthfully I had become very depressed from feeling like a failure (but never took anti-depressants, just fought my way through it)... This is also partly because my dad wen't blind for 3 months while the doctors were fixing his eyesight so It ended up being better for me to not work so I could take care of him.

All of this results in employment gaps and not a lot of references, I fear this will get my application turned down, I want so bad to be a part of the Canadian military and have been training my body and mind for it... But my employment history and lack of a highschool diploma makes me look like a good-for-nothing on paper.

Sorry for the semi-life story, thanks for any advice!

Graham,

as someone who's going through the applicant stage right now with the forces I have to tell you that you've got nothing to fear. I found the recruiters in my city to be really personable and to be honest they WANT you in that office. If you've got shaky employment history who cares. Be honest and straight forward tell them what your personal goals within the forces how it would help you and how civi life just doesn't float your boat. I think they've seen the best on paper candidate and the worst but it's not their job to judge because what it comes down to at the end of the day is you want do serve your country.

References wise you can always get another person who has known you for 5 years or more to act on behalf of that job. Theres some kids who I seen applying just straight out of high school with NO job experience whatsoever. Get a teacher, a close family friend, or someone in authority that may know you personally (good, and bad) to act as your reference.

As for the high school diploma thing I don't think that matters ...correct me if I'm wrong anyone but NCM trades requires grade 10 level education? Only certain NCM trades need a high school diploma like Med Tech.

So seriously go for it..the most they can say is no (and in that case do what they require you to do and go for it again) :) I wish you the best of luck

GRAHAM23, some comments from the civvy-side of things:

In your post I see you have a lot of potential. Is it possible you're viewing the world/yourself through a glass-half-empty lens as opposed to seeing that glass as being half full?

A great Canadian soldier and former Chief of Defence Staff once said, "opitimism is a force enhancer." This is something that I remind myself of when I feel blue.

Your post tells me these things:

~You have a goal and know what you want to do: Vehicle Technician in the Reserves.
~You  have the capacity to honestly and critically self-reflect.
~You have identified your weaknesses. That's half the battle and now you can work on them.
~You are working on your Grade 12 and you are going to finish it.
~You are a compassionate person who demonstrates the ability to care for others; the rare ability to make sacrifices for another person. (if you helped your father through his illness this is something important to put on your Resume and reference it to your Recruiter, too!)
~You are a fighter: You overcame a bout of depression brought on by circumstance beyond your control and did this without medication.
~You are only 21; don't be too hard on yourself. ;)  None of us are perfect.

Only my :2c:  See my edit below.

GRAHAM23 said:
I'm 21 years old and currently working on my paperwork to join the reserves, I want to work as a vehicle technician in the reserves. My problem is my employment history is pretty shaky aswell as I haven't "technically" graduated highschool yet even though I have over 110 credits (currently working on finishing my last course that completes the Alberta requirements).

In the past I have been somewhat LAZY. And even though I have held down jobs for well over a year I always end up getting lazy and being fired for tardiness even though I do my job well.

The result of this is I could list my employment history (working at dealerships mostly as a lube guy) but they would be TERRIBLE references seeing as I've been fired from every job I've had. For the past 6 months I haven't worked at all because truthfully I had become very depressed from feeling like a failure (but never took anti-depressants, just fought my way through it)... This is also partly because my dad wen't blind for 3 months while the doctors were fixing his eyesight so It ended up being better for me to not work so I could take care of him.

All of this results in employment gaps and not a lot of references, I fear this will get my application turned down, I want so bad to be a part of the Canadian military and have been training my body and mind for it... But my employment history and lack of a highschool diploma makes me look like agood-for-nothing on paper.
makes it look like I'm struggling to find my career path!
Sorry for the semi-life story, thanks for any advice!

Wow I really appreciate what was said here, I definetly feel more confident about my application now. Im trying but I really don't have much else to say but thankyou!  ;D

Edit: I've actually been doing my best to find some sort of Professional/Educational references. But I really have none, I was never close with any of my teachers (plus that was like 3 years ago) and I've burned all my other bridges.

I do have friends that I've known for a long time (5-10 years) and they know me well and what I've gone through. I just doubt it will look that great having 5 PERSONAL references on my application rather than some educational/professional ones. Seeing as I have no choice do you think I can get away with this?

GRAHAM23 said:
Wow I really appreciate what was said here, I definetly feel more confident about my application now. Im trying but I really don't have much else to say but thankyou!  ;D

Edit: I've actually been doing my best to find some sort of Professional/Educational references. But I really have none, I was never close with any of my teachers (plus that was like 3 years ago) and I've burned all my other bridges.

I do have friends that I've known for a long time (5-10 years) and they know me well and what I've gone through. I just doubt it will look that great having 5 PERSONAL references on my application rather than some educational/professional ones. Seeing as I have no choice do you think I can get away with this?

Every single reference on my application was either a friend, a friend of the family, or a member of my fraternity. Most of them were also professionals of some sort, whose word may or may not carry more weight. So if you do happen to know a few accountants, engineers, doctors, etc, I suggest you ask them all nice like if they would be willing to say nice things about you.

Back