• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

" I Know The Risk" Article- Victoria Times

charlesm

Inactive
Reaction score
This was in the Victoria Times Colonist today

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=0805f2d4-a5b4-47ea-ad59-d1180fc1b4be&k=67781&p=2

'I know the risk'
Reservist says he's doing his generation's duty from Afghan war zone

Barb Pacholik, CanWest News Service; The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, July 24, 2006

Despite the loss of two more Canadian soldiers on the weekend and his own close brush with a bomb, a Regina area reservist says he has no second thoughts about volunteering to serve in Afghanistan.

"I know the risk," Jim Sinclair said in a telephone interview Sunday from Kandahar, Afghanistan. One day earlier, two Canadian soldiers were killed by a car bomb just west of that city as a convoy of soldiers returned to their base. Sinclair was part of the convoy, but was amongst a group that arrived before the blast.

"If this means the world's going to get better and my life is taken to better my niece's and nephews' lives down the road, then so be it," Sinclair said firmly. "When it's your time, it's your time."

The 36-year-old Regina Beach bachelor said he'd rather die "honourably . . . trying to accomplish something."

"At the end of the day, no soldier wants to go to do this kind of work. But it's got to be done. Every generation has a part to play in global stability. This is my generation," he said.

Sinclair is on his third tour of duty overseas as a member of the Regina Rifles, having also served in Bosnia and Croatia.

He joined the reserves in 1988 and enjoyed it so much, he served in the regular army for 10 years.

Upon leaving the service, he became the owner of the Regina Beach Campground and finds himself longing for a dip in the lake these days.

While Reginans spent Pile of Bones Sunday sweltering under temperatures hovering above 30C, Sinclair has been contending with days when the thermometer easily reaches the high 40s -- and then he's carrying about 45 kilograms of gear. "It feels like somebody's walking around following you with a hair blow dryer," he chuckled.

Sinclair left Regina during the height of winter, arriving in Afghanistan on Jan. 23. "We hit the ground running and have just been going hard ever since," he added.

He's been involved in a number of combat operations, holding every position from weapons detonation to sharpshooter.

The last three weeks have been spent in intense battles with the Taliban. Sinclair has welcomed the opportunity to put his 17 years of training into action. "It's kept us all alive so far," he added.

But it isn't training alone that spared Sinclair and his fellow soldiers from narrowly becoming so-called "friendly fire" casualties.

On July 8 near the start of this latest stint in the field, Sinclair's company came under heavy fire.

Seeing where the shots were coming from, he gave the platoon commander the direction and distance. The information was then relayed for an air strike, but it appears the U.S. plane may have overshot the target.

"I was watching the target, waiting for the bomb to come in. I should have seen it, but I heard it. I could hear it coming in, and I couldn't see the plane. The plane had already taken off. You know something bad is happening, and it just makes this ungodly noise as it comes screaming in. And then, it basically blew up."

Sinclair estimates the 225-kilogram bomb was just five metres away from the nearest soldier -- whose birthday it was that day -- when it exploded.

"It was probably 20 metres from me and my partner. No one got hurt -- it was an act of God, I swear," he said. The nearest soldier escaped with only a concussive head injury and was treated and released from hospital.

"The first thought that came through my brain was to get ahold of the radio guy . . .to get him to make sure they don't drop another one," said Sinclair.

The incident is being investigated by the Canadian military, but some soldiers have suggested soft ground may have kept the bomb from having a greater impact.

Things just got riskier after that incident. "That was just our own guys shooting at us," he joked.

He was part of a platoon that moved in with three light armoured vehicles to assist a group of Americans pinned down by Taliban forces. "We went rolling in there, and sorted it all out. It was just like cavalry -- like watching old Western movies," he said. "It was just pure chaos," he said of the erupting gunfire.

When the combat operations came to an end on Saturday, the soldiers started moving back into Kandahar. Sinclair said the two soldiers killed were in the final group returning. "They had a break down. One bad thing added up to another. It gave the Taliban an opportunity to strike."

Despite such setbacks, Sinclair is confident there is progress. "It took 10 years in Bosnia for things to become normal there," he added.

A proud member of the Regina Rifles, Sinclair spoke of the regiment's success throughout the decades and in this particular operation. He told of two members of the Rifles who went into a cave to chase down a Taliban member making explosive devices.

"Saskatchewan should be proud of them dudes. They did a hell of a good job."

Sinclair was uncertain when he'll be returning to Canada. He expected his platoon would be deployed into the field again after getting re-equipped in Kandahar.

"Despite the loss of two more Canadian soldiers... "

Is this how all media minds think, or just this one in particular?  I cannot recall a single mission in the history of Military operations that has not resulted in the loss of lives.
A perfectly safe mission is no mission at all.  This reservist is going on deployment to protect Canadian interests, not to Woodstock to smoke some grass.
Maybe we could mention that CF members believe in living for something other than their own pleasure?

Truly a small world!

Back in 1988, I taught Jamie Sinclair his recruit training at Dundurn. He was in my section. In a few words, I can only describe him as pure soldier material. He excelled at everything. Took naturally to fieldcraft and shooting, and all that goes along with being a good garrison soldier too.

He was well disciplined and truly stood out amoung others, yet fit right in, enjoyed his beer, and what I remember something unique. He was supersticious with his wool socks, each one was matched to the other with numbers sewn in, so his socks were always matching. I bet he still does that sock thing. After his recruit trg was completed, I had mentioned to him, don't waste your time in the Militia, and that he should move on to the Regular Army. He did when he was ready.

Long after his training was done, it was a winters night, and he was sleeping in his car in the Regina Armouries parking lot, as the girl he was living with threw him out (we've all been down that road  ;D) So, I took him in, and he stayed at my place for about a month until he got himself sorted.

Years later after he went on the Regular Army, I again ran into him again in the Regina Armouries, as he was home on leave with a friend. When he introduced his mate to myself, he said " this is SGT A...., one time when I was down on my luck, he took me in as I had no where to go, he's a real great guy". I was quite astonished at what he said, and to this day, I think thats one of the most unique introductions I have ever had.

I met up with him in 2000 at the Moose Jaw Airshow, as he and others did a static line jump from a Herc, and I went along in the back, taking pics. Mark C, Rob G, Ed S, Willie Mac, and others. I know them all. We all had a good time and a late night after one big party in the hockey rink hangar. What a time. I ended up crashing in their room at 15 Wg.

I am not suprised to see that he is in the Ghan doing his bit. For those of you that know him, or see him over there, tell him Wes says hi.

Up The Johns!

Regards,

Wes

Back