• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IAP/BOTC

Pilot training starts as soon as they can slot you on a PFT course.  Usually after 2nd or 3rd year sometimes after 1st year.  This is the only course you'll do during your 4 years at RMC.  Other than that, it's only OJTs or SLT.  Personnally, even though I never did SLT, I would rather go on OJT since it gives you a taste of what to expect after grad.  And you get to fly cool planes.  Personnally, I did OJT in Bagotville after 1st year, PFT after second year, OJT in Bagotville after 3rd year (gotta love flying the Hornet) and now, I'm in Winnipeg awaiting my course (BFT, Moose Jaw) on OJT at the 402 Sqn Ops (hey, Dash 8 is cool!).  Winnipeg was a personnal choice (believe it or not).  Right now, the wait for MJ is 14-18 months...

Max

Kid_X said:
So, if my IAP/BOTC is deferred to 2007 (year 2), would I do second language training in the summer of year 3?  What if that interferes with Military Occupational Training?  And for a pilot, when does Military Occupational Training start?  Also, I am fluent in both french and english, but being in Air, what would be recommended... make sure to get a C in oral or something to do SLT, or pass it all and do OJT in Comox (if at all possible, it's one of my preferred posting choices).

Alright, and because I failed my Aircrew Selection Course, I have to get my private license before reapplying next year, because I'll have my PPL, does that affect my options at all?

Kid_X said:
Alright, and because I failed my Aircrew Selection Course, I have to get my private license before reapplying next year, because I'll have my PPL, does that affect my options at all?

So since your last post where you were worrying about where you could do OJT as a Pilot you have failed CFASC?  So you are not enrolling in the ROTP program this year?

No, I failed CFASC back in April, I'm in ROTP as AEC right now, and I'm reapplying for pilot next year.

I am attending Civi U, living at home, and will be working a job on the side (if my ULO approves) so that I can afford (parents will be helping me as well) to get my Private Pilot's License at the Ottawa Flying Club. Early next year I will contact my MCC and see how I would go about re-doing my CFASC once I have my PPL.

I spoke to one of the officers that conducted the testing after I was told I didn't make Pilot, and this is what he suggested, if I could afford it.  I was also told by the supervising officer during our paper signing (which was done early - May 29th - because of the June 3rd enrolment ceremony) that over 80% of people that go back a second time succeed, and I was asked to sign a paper of conditional acceptance pending further aircrew tests (because I was accepted into AEC, but haven't done my testing in Toronto yet.) so I guess if I have to do this testing anyways, I will ask to do it a bit later in the year (once I have my PPL) and the entire testing (rather than just the medical in Toronto) after putting in for a component transfer (Or just switch trades? They're both in Air).

If it ever happens that I don't make pilot, for whatever reason (cut off dates, etc), I will gladly go through the program I have been selected for, but will reapply at a later date; because I am not going to give up on my dream of flying for the CF.  If I do not make it in for medical reasons, and my chances of ever becoming a Pilot (or Air Nav, I've qualified for that) become null, I would like to follow in my great uncle's footsteps and join the Combat Arms.

Kid_X said:
I am attending Civi U, living at home, and will be working a job on the side (if my ULO approves) so that I can afford (parents will be helping me as well) to get my Private Pilot's License at the Ottawa Flying Club. Early next year I will contact my MCC and see how I would go about re-doing my CFASC once I have my PPL.

I spoke to one of the officers that conducted the testing after I was told I didn't make Pilot, and this is what he suggested, if I could afford it.  I was also told by the supervising officer during our paper signing (which was done early - May 29th - because of the June 3rd enrolment ceremony) that over 80% of people that go back a second time succeed, and I was asked to sign a paper of conditional acceptance pending further aircrew tests (because I was accepted into AEC, but haven't done my testing in Toronto yet.) so I guess if I have to do this testing anyways, I will ask to do it a bit later in the year (once I have my PPL) and the entire testing (rather than just the medical in Toronto) after putting in for a component transfer (Or just switch trades? They're both in Air).

If it ever happens that I don't make pilot, for whatever reason (cut off dates, etc), I will gladly go through the program I have been selected for, but will reapply at a later date; because I am not going to give up on my dream of flying for the CF.  If I do not make it in for medical reasons, and my chances of ever becoming a Pilot (or Air Nav, I've qualified for that) become null, I would like to follow in my great uncle's footsteps and join the Combat Arms.

A very ambitious plan.  However, Early next year I will contact my MCC and see how I would go about re-doing my CFASC once I have my PPL. will not happen because the recruiting system will have nothing to do with you at that time and I am 99.9% sure that you will not be allowed to switch occupations while in the ROTP program and therefore will not be reattending CFASC.  You are signed up to be an AEC and that is what you will be unless you don't get your air medical category or you quit now.  People who are in the ROTP don't get a second chance to attend CFASC, civilians do.  Perhaps after you have finished ROTP and served a few years as an AEC you can apply for a transfer to Pilot but not now.  Good luck.

Actually, tons of ppl change occupation every year in the ROTP program (at RMC anyways).  There is a VOR competition every year.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Actually, tons of ppl change occupation every year in the ROTP program (at RMC anyways).  There is a VOR competition every year.

Max

Well I would bet you none of them we transferring to Pilot after failing CFASC and we are talking about ROTP Civ U. Thanks for the point thought.

Actually (sorry!!), I personnaly know people that did that (transfer to pilot after they failed CFASC, event after they failed PFT) and it worked.  But I agree that it must be different with Civ U

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Actually (sorry!!), I personnaly know people that did that (transfer to pilot after they failed CFASC, event after they failed PFT) and it worked.  But I agree that it must be different with Civ U

Max

Hmmmm.  I personally know a lot of people that claimed to have done a lot of things too.  So lets leave it at that so that we don't confuse anymore applicants.

The VOR competition is open to civilians (I got mine this year). As far as your situation, I have heard a lot of people say thats what they WANT to do, but haven't seen any actually get it done. But as mentionned in this thread, it happens.

Alright, I'll keep you all posted on whether or not it happens. If it doesn't, I hope I like AEC or even pass my aircrew medical in Toronto, if not I'll look into Combat Eng. or something.  No matter, the CF is the life for me  ;D

Kincanucks is right about the process being different for RMC than the civy-u guys.  Make sure you get on top of the VOR situation it as soon as you identify your chain of command (once you are done IAP) and let them know of your plans (even though you might not be VORing until much later).  Your chain probably doesn't do too many VOR's, so they need a heads up asap.  You can re-take CFASC and if you do, you are eligible for a VOR.  However, I believe that you must wait a year after you last took ASC.  You can only apply for a VOR after you pass aircrew (that was the condition when I did it).  This means that you probably won't be able to apply until your second year of university.  I changed from infantry to pilot, but it is very important to stress that there are no guarantees.  You have to jump through quite a few hoops including ASC (which you failed the first time) and the VOR process(which depends on the demands of the CF in the next few years).  You need to be sure that you are prepared to do the job that you signed up for in the first place.  You won't get out of your MOC just because you don't like it.  With that being said, keep your chin up and good luck.

I'm just wondering what the approximate pay is for the first summer of training. I will most likely be staying in residence at Civie U (if I am accepted of course), and I need to know how much I need to save.

stefwills said:
I'm just wondering what the approximate pay is for the first summer of training. I will most likely be staying in residence at Civie U (if I am accepted of course), and I need to know how much I need to save.

This much.

Yeah I plan on staying with my current job even through university out of respect to my manager, he needs someone who knows the ropes, and my CoC should be ok with it, I'm an 85 average kind of guy.

Back