• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IAP May 28th - 3 Aug 07

Seatech

Inactive
Reaction score
I am starting this thread for any persons that are going on the IAP course starting May 28th.

It would be interesting if any people who took an IAP course that had a mix of both UTPNCM and Civvies could share their experience about how CFLRS organizes that course from a recruit standpoint. I mean, do they group the UTPNCM's together or do they spread them over the entire course?

I would also be interested to know how many recruits are normally on an IAP course.

You're looking at between 45 to 60 officer candidates on the course.  In terms of experience distribution... won't matter.

I did my IAP two summers ago, and BOTP last summer. 

For our IAP they took the total number of candidates and split us in to two platoons based solely on last name (first half of the alphabet in one platoon, second half on the other).  This meant that the UTP's were split, but not necessarily evenly.  In our case it worked out that 6 UTP's were in my platoon, and the other 20 were in the other (representing a full 1/3 of the platoon). 

As Shamrock said, you can expect up to a max of 60. 

I do disagree with Shamrock when he says that experience doesn't matter.  It can and does matter, but both for positive and negative reasons. 

Positives:  You can draw on the UTP's experiences.  They have been through boot camp before and know some tricks.  That and we don't get stressed out because we've "played the game" for a number of years. 

Negatives:  Too many chiefs, not enough indians.  The platoon that had 20 UTP's suffered from some attitude problems.  Some guys weren't as willing to play the game although they should have. 

I would suggest this when dealing with the UTP's.  If they approach you all the time and offer advice, they are a blow heart and are looking for attention or to try and ascert a sense of imagined power.  They are not above you, just more experienced.  The UTP's you want to talk with are the ones who don't need to be so "out there". 

Good luck on your IAP!  You're going to have some great experiences, and make friends that you will have throughout your career in the CF. 

SNJ

SNJ, were you a civvie or a UTP? I am a UTP with 17 years in the navy.

It should be a long, hard summer and I am very much looking forward to the challenge.

Did anyone here do the LPAC?

I'm a UTP, and am still going through school now (I'll finish next year).  To be honest, the training isn't all that bad it was the school I had to get used to.  The training environment is familiar whereas school for me was a place where I was surrounded by my new peers which consisted of people 12 years younger than me on average! 

Don't worry about your training this summer.  You'll hopefully meet some great people, and have fun in the sun at Farnham. 

Good luck. 

Gontire,

Are you a new recruit coming in or a UTP? I understand there are 4 different platoons of IAP (60 pers per) starting on the 28th. I think that will make for one very large group. Should be an interesting summer.

I'm an now ex-clerk heading for IAP this summer. My TD msg says i'm on course 16E which according the the CFLRS website seems to be a mixed UT/ROTP course which should be a good mix. I'm actually looking fwd to getting started, should be interesting doing some field work after 7 years or playing in the Navy!! I know 6-7 guys who will be going as well and they're a real good bunch of guys so we should have a good time between drill periods!

I am also on IAP May 28th - August 3rd. I look forward to a challenging summer!

Back