• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IE 8

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
Well I made a mistake yesterday.  I paid attention to the UPGRADE notices from MicroSoft and upgraded to IE 8. 

My advice:    DON'T DO IT!  Don't upgrade to IE 8.  They say that they want your feedback on how it is doing, and I have yet to see how they want you to do it.  It doesn't perform as well as IE 7.  It removed my ability to close down IE and keep all the TABS that I was using set to open again.  IE 8 now requires you to go through all the hassle of reopening TABS every time you turn on your computer and start to surf. 

I have so far had many instances where the page doesn't open properly and you have to Refresh the page several times before it loads properly. 

SO!  DON'T DO IT!

Don't pay any attention to the Windows Update notice to Upgrade to IE 8.

So far, I think it sucks.  Give it several months (years); until just before they come out with another untried, unproven new product, and when this one finally has all the bugs worked out of it. 

Friggin Anti-Christs.

Sounds like user error GW ;) I use IE 8 and have no problems.

I tried it awhile back and it was buggy as shit. Unloaded it and went back to 7. MS stopped 'developing' years ago. Now they just launch inferior untried Betas and wait till they get enough complaints about a certain problem before they apply a fix. That's why you're still getting fixes when they are ready to launch the next generation.

They are becoming the Lada of the software world.

I find it is a step backwards; perhaps two or three.  I might as well be using IE 5.  I had several pages to different sites set to open, without having to constantly open new Tabs and then search through favourites to load a page.  Now the only option I have is "Close all Tabs" or "Close Current Tab"; no more "Open all Tabs next time".  I guess too many don't bother with more than one Tab.........Slow pokes.  ;D

I also hate the "Compatability button" appearing on top of another button and then loading a useless function, when all I want to do is load a different page. 

George Wallace said:
I find it is a step backwards; perhaps two or three.  I might as well be using IE 5.  I had several pages to different sites set to open, without having to constantly open new Tabs and then search through favourites to load a page

Wait a minute here ...
"How the fuck do you do that!!??"
sayeth the girl using IE7 who's obviously still 9 or 10 steps back.  :mad:

ArmyVern said:
Wait a minute here ...

I would open up the Tabs and on closing IE7 the box would ask if I wanted to open the same tabs next time I opened IE.  IE 8 only asks if you want to close all Tabs or just the current one.  I can no longer have six or seven windows open and on closing have the same ones open the next time I enter IE. 

As Mr. O'Leary already said, Firefox.

I use to be an IE guy, but I had to change because it kept being, in my terms, a bi*ch.

Another problem with IE8 is that there is a few websites out their that are not formatted to be viewed properly in IE8.

I find Firefox is a much more stable and user friendly browser in every area (it is not any wonder why they are starting to take up quite a bit of the market-share in the browser wars.)

Not only does FF have proper tabbed browsing (not surprising as IE got tabbed browsing from FireFox), they also have an amazing add-on library. There quite literally is an add-on for almost everything and everyone. My favourites include Web Of Trust, Ad-Block Plus, Greasemonkey (runs user-scripts to optimize and tweak selected websites) and IE Tab (this one allowed me to send IE right back to whence it came ;), allows me to view web-pages that are formatted only for IE in Firefox)

For those that have not tried it, I strongly suggest that you at least give it a trial of one week and see how you feel :)

I downloaded IE8 last week and now I can't view army.ca. GW is right, IE8 is a POS and a memory hog.On my computer it now takes 1M more memory to surf than it used to and it is always crashing. I also got Firefox so I could view the boards but I am not that thrilled with it either. I will be going back to IE7.

KJK

ArmyVern said:

Good question.
I've been having trouble with it also.

Go here to uninstall IE 8, it's what I used to go back to IE 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

ArmyVern said:
Wait a minute here ...

I see someone has complained and IE 8 now has this when you open a new TAB:

"Reopen Last Browsing Session"

When you click on it, all the tabs you were browsing on your last session will open.........including the page you have as a homepage. 

MilitaryGirl69 said:
Go here to uninstall IE 8, it's what I used to go back to IE 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Thank-you, MilitaryGirl69.
By the way, that wasn't really my keyboard in the pic. ::)

George Wallace said:
I see someone has complained and IE 8 now has this when you open a new TAB:

"Reopen Last Browsing Session"

When you click on it, all the tabs you were browsing on your last session will open.........including the page you have as a homepage.

Thanks George,

Now how the hell do I do that on IE7 ... same thing?

On IE 7 if you have more than one TAB (NOT Window) open, when you close that Window, it will ask you if you want to open those same tabs the next time you open IE. 

Back